• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Seiko Watches - Underrated?

IBJanky

Reaction score
I recently bought an orange face Seiko monster as a beater watch for work:

IMG_0449.jpg

So far so good
smile.gif

myke

Sartorially Challenged

Reaction score
I understand that sub-$200 Seikos (such as the 5 series) are essentially disposable watches one throws away once they stop functioning, but what about the medium-to-high priced Japanese domestic market Seiko mechanicals?

When a watch that costs, say $500, requires service (e.g. movement overhaul), what does the buyer do? Service it locally with a watchmaker, send to Seiko's US service center or send back to Japan?

Lagrangian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by IBJanky

IMG_0449.jpg

So far so good
smile.gif

myke

Nice looking watch bro - been thinking of procuring an OM too, my current beater is a Seiko Black Monster. A lot of watch for the money.

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by B|aze
Here's one that's almost identical. The shape is a bit different and It doesn't have a see through back.

Thanks for this. I will consider getting it.

Hartmann

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sartorially Challenged
I understand that sub-$200 Seikos (such as the 5 series) are essentially disposable watches one throws away once they stop functioning, but what about the medium-to-high priced Japanese domestic market Seiko mechanicals?

When a watch that costs, say $500, requires service (e.g. movement overhaul), what does the buyer do? Service it locally with a watchmaker, send to Seiko's US service center or send back to Japan?

Hopefully someone can give me some advice, my situation is similar to the hypothetical one here.

I have the Seiko 5 military, same one as in Wes Bourne's pic above. After about year, it's starting to run a little fast... about 12 seconds fast per minute, actually. I took it to a local watch repair place in Toronto and was quoted $50 to service it. Since this is essentially the price of the watch, I declined. Is this a fair price to service my watch? On one hand I could use the money towards another Seiko (looking at the monster diver), on the other it seems wasteful to let the current one just sit there. Thoughts?

WorkingClassDude

Reaction score
I'm gonna be the proud pa of a Seiko (my first), hopefully by the weekend. Nothing fancy, just the chrono with the big black face, orange hands, brushed case (I suppose I could get a pic going after I get it). I wanted the one with the nylon strap, but it doesn't seem to be available, so I had to settle for one with a metal bracelet, which is basically a non-issue anyway since I was going to take off the stock strap anyway and alternate Zulus/NATOs on it.

EDIT: Dang, I might be a little pissed, as my impatience comes back to **** me in the mouth. I guess the one with the bracelet is NOT a matte finish watch, so I have to assume its stainless. Who knows, maybe I'll really like it, but I think I really wanted the matte. Worst thing is, the dealer I initially ordered it for accepted the order before telling me it was out of stock. I assumed since this an older model seiko, it could be weeks, if EVER they get it into stock (you know, like it got phased out and the dealer still had it on the site?) So I cancelled that order and ordered the bracelet model off amazon, only to find out the original dealer got the new stock on RIGHT AFTER I PLACED MY ORDER. So, goddammit, haha.

Ultimately I guess this isn't a big deal, I can always return the one I get and re-order the other one... just adds a whole week or two to the process.

shanker

Reaction score
Personally I find the styles pedestrian and monotone, but as long as you like 'em, rock 'em.

Augustus Davies

Reaction score
Originally Posted by IBJanky

IMG_0449.jpg

So far so good
smile.gif

myke

My Baby Monster.

se005.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads