1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Seiko Watches - Underrated?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by GQBaller, Jan 29, 2009.

1. watchband

watchband Active Member

I'm not a big fan of Seiko, but it looks stunning.[​IMG]

2. Keller

Keller Senior member

yes, thanks, nice models

3. JHT652

JHT652 Senior member

Seiko 5 Sports SNZF15K1

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. thefastlife

thefastlife Senior member

1 person likes this.
  5. philJ

philJ New Member

Sadly not by me I bought a Seiko Titanium supposed to last a life time the pin broke in the strap and Seiko cam't repair it!!
    £500 down the drain and they want me to buy another one?
    Wouldn't touch them again!! A company that charges £100's and then cant cary out a simple repair a few years later is not trustworthy in my book. Hope the rest of you don't suffer as I did.
    I expect this post will be removed or not approved so they can carry on the deceit or pretending they are a top watch maker!
    I know we all take as we find but - Be warned!

6. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Senior member

Something doesn't sound right here. If the pin in the strap broke, why would you replace the entire watch? Just buy a new strap or bracelet. How long have you owned the watch? Did you buy it new or secondhand?

FWIW, I will say that Seiko's straps (whether it's leather or rubber), are generally junk and Seiko's quality is in their movements. I have a titanium Seiko Samauri (SBDA003) that's about a decade old and is still ticking right along keeping great time.

7. Jasonmambaman

Jasonmambaman New Member

Some look pretty elegant. I've heard Grand Seikos could run for thousands of dollars.

8. Augustus Davies

Augustus Davies Senior member

[​IMG]

$30,000.00 in gold. $25,000.00 in stainless steel.

9. magnum13th

magnum13th Member

Seiko is the most underrated watch brand on the planet, hands down. Pretty much at every price point they sell at, their quality is better than any of the competition.

The only negative is that for most westerners (including me), some of their designs are a bit clunky and un-inspired. Which is a shame, because particularly in their 'grand seiko' category, the finishing quality of the watches is unbelievable. Hand assembled and mostly hand finished dials and movements, for $3-8k, with techniques typically only in watches $15k and over.

An example of an excellent watch on my wishlist, the grand seiko anti-magnetic SBGX091 & 093, (in quartz). Even though it's quartz movement, it's probably the best quartz movement in the world, and is accurate to up to 5 seconds per year! It's still hand finished and hand assembled, and is amazing value for as low as $1500-2000 second hand.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  10. Count de Monet

Count de Monet Senior member

I can certainly appreciate, at least in theory, the fantastic workmanship in expensive mechanical watches. It is mind boggling. Ditto the obvious beauty of many of them. Given the relative scacity and demand, I understand the high prices. However, ...

... my girlfriend at the time gave me a quartz Seiko for Christmas. It keeps good time, off maybe ten seconds per year and probably cost $200 when new.

That was 36 years ago. I think I'm on my sixth battery. It is telling me I need another one. We got married a year later and I still have her too. [​IMG] She got me a second one with a different colored bracelet about 15 years ago. So those are the two dress watches I rotate though I only wear the older one when in court, despite it being a bit more nicked up than the "newer" one.

Suffice it to say I'm a big fan of Seiko quartz watches, though I think finding a good entry level mechanical would be fun. I'm not knowledgeable enough to say whether Seiko is superior to others at every price point but I wouldn't be surprised if they were. As a brand, it sure doesn't get much love on SF. Matters not to me, though.

1 person likes this.
  11. papa kot

papa kot Senior member

I cannot attest to the quality of _just_ Sekio watches. However, Grand Seiko is tremendously underrated. The finish on the watch and the attention to detail beat most of the stuff that comes out of Switzerland and Germany. The most disappointing thing about GS is knowing that you've overpaid for Rolex :) If you have a chance, I dare you to inspect a GS piece under 10X+ magnification.

12. Haroldwong

Haroldwong Active Member

Love the simplistic beauty of this ..

2 people like this.
  13. JLnoir

JLnoir Senior member

IMHO Seiko is an undervalued, under appreciated watch company that's finally in the last few years being recognized for its greatness by bloggers and forums alike. Here is a recently purchased Seiko Presage SARK009 automatic chronograph with column wheel and vertical clutch, also seikos proprietary 3 pointed hammer for instant flyback:
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.