• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where are we in the styleforum / iGent MC hype cycle?

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
I was wearing a Cucinelli sweater today even as I backlashed against the shoes.
The moths have been backlashing against my Cucinelli sweater.

emptym

Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Yes, and any other sort of mullet. Yuck.
Don't you have kind of a mullet?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Was Cucinelli ever not in the Backlash phase? I was under the impression it was just generally disliked.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Was Cucinelli ever not in the Backlash phase? I was under the impression it was just generally disliked.

It's only in backlash among the super elite of bespoke only clothing, the ones that can't stomach the mass dissemination of an aesthetic they thought was reserved only to those who travel to Italy to buy their clothes. Among others, it's just another maker of clothes, some nice some not that great. I have several BC sweaters that are awesome and a great BC grey peacoat that I love.

Then again, I don't intellectualize my clothes purchases as much as others who want to project an ultra-controlled image of themselves.

What's more snubbish than a BC-clad "tres chic" "weekend warrior"? Answer is: a vociferously anti BC-clad "tres chic" "weekend warrior".

emptym

Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
The only mullet I consort with is the red kind.
I had to look that up.
Originally Posted by srivats
Foo backlashed navy trousers. And cprds.
I had a pair of navy blue wool pants made about 12 yrs ago. They were a copy of a favorite pair of khakis, my uncle's Air Force pants. I've virtually worn my uncle's pants to shreds, but have probably worn the navy ones a half dozen times and not once in 10 yrs. That said, I don't have anything against them in theory and think they can look good at times.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The problem, as I see it, is that they used to make fantastic, basic sweaters, and they still do. Unfortunately, the signal to noise ratio, and by noise I mean logo sweaters, shirts with odd details, cashmere jump ropes and boxing gloves, is getting to be really poor. The earlier outerwear stuff was great, but it seems like there are too many elbow patches on the tailored clothing now. Just my .02, and I have a bunch of their old sweaters.

Edit: also, as Parker said in the other thread, too much beige/greige/taupe/tan

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
poor Brunello need not worry much longer, he's about to be upstaged on the backlash curve by the Alden Indy boot...followed closely perhaps by the Wings + Horns service boot

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads