• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Audi R8

ninetofivereject

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arethusa
You're going to buy a 120k car in cash, and you're put off by 6k/year insurance?

exactly,i call bullshit on this guy...like the old saying goes "if you gotta ask how much it costs you cant afford it" if you can put down 100k plus on a car and then balk at a mere 6k in insurance something doesnt add up.not that theres anything wrong with that,it is a lot.

emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dont understand why a 22 year old has to automatically be a trust fund kid. Young guys find ways to build wealth too. reading bitter 30+ yr olds post of jealously make me laugh. Upset because life is not what you thought it would be?
bounce2.gif

Granted the OP might be full of crap
facepalm.gif

But who knows... Who cares...

ninetofivereject

Reaction score
Originally Posted by emmanuel
I dont understand why a 22 year old has to automatically be a trust fund kid. Young guys find ways to build wealth too. reading bitter 30+ yr olds post of jealously make me laugh. Upset because life is not what you thought it would be?
bounce2.gif

facepalm.gif

huhuhuhuh who says im jealous or bitter,i actually used to drive a 928GTS,now a volvo,so no im not jealous...im just wondering why if you can afford a very expensive car you would blink at insurance...sounds fishy not that i care,its jsut that if someone makes up buying a car for the gratification of "discussing" it..well thats pretty disturbing.
as far as trust fund kids,its not jealousy...more of a empathy for a individual who never will know the joy of earning ur money,sounds like i touched a nerve there perhaps you are one?
yes 22 year olds can build wealth too,i knew several back in the day,they dealt the best coke ever..oh one other guy as well played professional hockey...drove a brand new ferrarri and guess what didnt think about high insuarance...did i cover all your points?

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These threads are hilarious. Kids should know not to post about buying expensive cars on the internets, nothing good comes of it (even if they actually can buy the car, for whatever reason).

I can't imagine a car like this as a daily driver, but I only drive a Jeep. I do know I would probably pick an R8 if I did have the cash lying around, but I need space to park both vehicles first, and ideally no mortgage.

Christofuh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
*ASSUMPTION*
OP is NOT a bored out of his ******* mind 20 year old kid typing this up from a dorm room.

Audi 4.2 V8 has been around since Moses has had his peepee nippped off.
Which is a good thing as the motor is a proven kind.
Albeit one that may accumulate carbon deposits @ some later stage.
Audi depreciation is notoriously ******, so expect to lose about 60% of the value by the time your warranty is done.
There's an option to pre-pay for maintenance @ the time of new vehicle purchase that's meant to save you a nice chunk of $$$$.
Last time I looked, the R8s were pretty scarce. So expect to give the horn a good work-out.
We're in a buyers market right now which is to your advantage.
Your purchasing strategeryâ„¢ makes lilttle sense, though.
Parking 6 figures in cash (in this Godawful economy) in an asset that comes with exotic car cost of upkeep, insurance, schoolbus fuel economy - and lousy depreciation ?
Yet worrying about interest payments ?
And for the love of a deity of your choice, given the vehicle's modest ground clearance - why would you want to drive the R8 in the snow ?
eh.gif

ninetofivereject

Reaction score
Originally Posted by unjung
These threads are hilarious. Kids should know not to post about buying expensive cars on the internets, nothing good comes of it (even if they actually can buy the car, for whatever reason).

I can't imagine a car like this as a daily driver, but I only drive a Jeep. I do know I would probably pick an R8 if I did have the cash lying around, but I need space to park both vehicles first, and ideally no mortgage.

oh,i had a jeep YJ for a year...most fun car ever...had to selll when Katrina hit and it cost me $100 to fill up (twice a week) but what fun for a year

emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ninetofivereject
as far as trust fund kids,its not jealousy...more of a empathy for a individual who never will know the joy of earning ur money
Yes! Unbelievably sad. As for touching a nerve... the thought that a guy cant make himself wealthy or even rich at a young age bothers me.

ninetofivereject

Reaction score
Yes! Unbelievably sad. As for touching a nerve... the thought that a guy cant make himself wealthy or even rich at a young age bothers me.

all im saying is thats a one in a million...and that ONE will not cheap out on 6k for insuarance when buying a 100k car.

emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Perhaps. On the other hand I have met lots of people with money that have ways of spending that I could not even begin to understand. example... The other day I was shopping with a friend that whined and complained about spending $1000 on a suit after it had been marked down 70% but then proceeded to purhase a bunch of falke socks at $50 each without thinking. yes spend $500 on full retail socks without thinking about it but make a big deal about getting an amazing deal on a suit. These things make no sense to me. Same Friend went on to purchase a Kiton suit and tried to get out of paying tailoring and shipping fees. Really?!

dhaller

Reaction score
bounce2.gif
facepalm.gif

Actually if you look back about 2 months or so you will find the OP asking for advice on dealing with the executor of an estate: http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=155023 It sounds like someone is burning through an inheritance - advice to the OP: don't go too crazy. DH

emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dhaller
Actually if you look back about 2 months or so you will find the OP asking for advice on dealing with the executor of an estate.

It sounds like someone is burning through an inheritance - advice to the OP: don't go too crazy.

DH

I am not defending the OP.

dhaller

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ninetofivereject
actually an inheritance makes more sense then a trust fund in todays economy...NOW IAM JEALOUS

Well an inheritance explains why someone might have 120k (lump sum) but be averse to 6k/year (no actual income).

DH

brianja

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chrisjustinparr
It just tells everyone you are too awesome or too poor to afford a proper vehicle to go plowing through the snow with. It won't even be an enjoyable or warm ride - hence sports car in 4 inches of snow is just for show.

LOL. This is statement is rediculous. There is nothing wrong with going out and having some fun in the snow in a properly equipped sports car. An R8 with snow tires is just as capable of getting around in the snow (barring snow depth being too much) as an "proper vehicle" like an SUV.

I drive my RS4 with snows tires on it in the snow all the time. People are constantly amazed by what I have no problems driving through. I love passing stuck people in SUVs who think they are invincible on their all season (no season) tires.

To the OP:
I have an RS4 so I can give you information on the 4.2FSI engine that's in the R8 V8. It's a great engine and loves to rev. It sounds phenomenal too (especially with an aftermarket exhaust on it). I have had no problems with mine, so far.

All Audi, VW and Porsche FSI (direct injection) engines are showing signs that carbon buildup will be a problem down the line. Lots of people are seeing power drops due to the carbon building up on the back sides of the valves. It can be cleaned and power restored, but it is a time consuming and costly process.

My father has an R8 V10, so I can also speak for the R8 a bit. Fit and finish on the car is phenomenal. It handles wonderfully and feels more like a rear wheel drive car than an all wheel drive car because of it's 20-80% front to rear split on power distribution.

I haven't driven the R-tronic version, but I have heard that the R-tronic in the V8s is not as nice as the remapped version in the V10s. The gated manual shifter is fantastic, though. I would go that route.

If you have specific questions, let me know.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads