• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are you friends with your boss / employees?

Mr Herbert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How friendly are you with your boss and/or your direct reports?

do you have lunch with them, drinks at the pub on a friday etc or do you keep your distance?

ever had problems with a poorly performing report who you are friends with (or a serious professional disagreement with a boss you are friends with)?

interested to see how people compartmentalise their work lives

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
I am friendly with my staff, but not friends with them. Some come to me with their personal issues if they think I can help, and I do where I can, but otherwise, I maintain a safe distance.

Interestingly during her performance review, one of my girls recently told me she views me as a boss and as 'like a big brother'...this was nice.

Also interesting, one of my staff, and one of our regular suppliers, came to my birthday party last year. As polyrock800 from SF (who was also there) can report, that night was a little reckless. 300 odd people, and me on amphetamines running around in camo gear with a vodka laden squirt gun.

The surprised feedback..."my boss is reeeeeally fuuuun!" - a good indication that generally I keep the game face on at work, and keep the lines between work and play pretty clear.

One of my mates runs an ad agency here, and basically his best friends are his staff. I think this is all fucked up. Those boys are out hammered until 5 am like six nights a week, stumble home, sleep 2 hours, and go to work. Do a fuckload of pills together, go whoring, whatever.

I just don't want my subordinates seeing me in that light (I am not that bad anyhow, I go out a lot, but weeknights I am generally in before midnight, 2 at the latest), and similarly, I don't want my subordinates showing up three-hours-post-tequila and facing my clients.

That said, he seems to make it work, so who am I to judge, but still....

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I ain't really friendly towards management at all... I respect one manager, and despise the GM. I respect one of the Chef's, but don't really respect the other one. I am extremely difficult to get along with, but I do the work of two people, so management pretty much leaves me alone.

I've always maintained a good distance from by bosses even though I have genuinely liked some of them.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have no issues with my bosses but choose not to socialize with them after work hours when I have been invited to. I have no direct subordinates here so that's not an issue.

After finishing graduate school I taught a couple courses as an adjunct at my university and that was a different story. I quite often would go to the bar after classes (and sometimes before) with professors an the head of the department as well as my students.

Hehlol

Reaction score
Truthfully you are not friends with your co-workers/boss.

When you cease your employment there, will you continue to spend time with them?

If you were fired, would you find them in a bar and saddle up with them as if nothing happened? Would they accept you?

In the end, you should be friendly with the people you work with, but you are not their friends.

If you would stop seeing them simply based on the termination of employment you are not friends.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah, I would say friendly. There are a lot of smaller offices (3-5 people) within my building, so sometimes there will be an e-mail blast announcing a happy hour or group lunch in a conference room. The staff likes to hang out with each other and the vast majority of them are fairly young, intelligent and fun.

Friendly with my boss but I still treat her with respect and all that. None of the first-name-basis stuff.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hehlol
Truthfully you are not friends with your co-workers/boss. When you cease your employment there, will you continue to spend time with them? If you were fired, would you find them in a bar and saddle up with them as if nothing happened? Would they accept you? In the end, you should be friendly with the people you work with, but you are not their friends. If you would stop seeing them simply based on the termination of employment you are not friends.
I worked as an associate with another attorney for two years. I left that law firm, he stayed. We see each other usually once a week at the bar for a couple of drinks. I regularly refer certain types of cases to him. When he needed a ride to the airport I was happy to help him out. I don't consider him my best friend but I do consider him my friend. I've always considered the real test of friendship is whether or not that person would bail you out of jail if necessary. This person passes that test for me.

jgold47

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Michigan Planner
I have no issues with my bosses but choose not to socialize with them after work hours when I have been invited to. I have no direct subordinates here so that's not an issue.

After finishing graduate school I taught a couple courses as an adjunct at my university and that was a different story. I quite often would go to the bar after classes (and sometimes before) with professors an the head of the department as well as my students.

Eastern??

JohnGalt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was friends with my last boss, but was not friends with anyone that reported to me. We were friendly and would even have a drink once in a while, but nothing beyond that.

In my new job, I'm friendly with people, but prefer to keep my friends and work separate. I'm with a large organization and feel that it's better to keep things separated.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I am friendly with my directs and hold the occasional happy hour, lunch, or breakfast for them. I always take the team out for dinner at Xmas. My #2 in command I am most friendly with, have shared drinks with him dozens of times, but there is still a distance kept even there.

I've always worked under the "us and them" principle. I changed over to being "them" a long time ago and have been the top "them" for nearly three years now. Remembering this keeps you out of certain kinds of trouble.

Mr Herbert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ive found with some direct reports it works well being friendly - having drinks, getting coffee etc. we travel alot so often have dinner together etc

but some reports i need to maintain a professional distance from - they try and take advantage of your friendliness or something

usually strong performers fit into the first catagory, weak performers into the second.

Mr Herbert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
Friendly with my boss but I still treat her with respect and all that. None of the first-name-basis stuff.

i work in a 10,000+ employee company and call the CEO by his first name if i see him in the lifts

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr Herbert
i work in a 10,000+ employee company and call the CEO by his first name if i see him in the lifts

And yet you refuse to do that with yourself.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads