• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

iPad

britishboy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
New iPad commercial

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

^ I have to admit that when I first saw the name I thought of this.

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Article in NYT about the absence of Flash from the iphone, ipad, etc...

Link

IPad Can't Play Flash Video, but It May Not Matter

By NICK BILTON

Web designers "” and a fair number of Web users "” noticed something missing from Steven P. Jobs's demonstration of the Apple iPad Wednesday. On some of the Web sites he displayed on the tablet computer's screen, blank squares appeared where video or animated content would normally be displayed.

The holes, observers correctly assumed, meant that the iPad would not display videos, animations or any other features created using Flash, a type of multimedia software made by Adobe. Flash is one of the world's most ubiquitous applications, appearing on 98 percent of all computers. YouTube videos run on it. It is what animates millions of graphics and advertisements on Web sites around the world. Adobe says the technology supports nearly 75 percent of video on the Web and 70 percent of online gaming sites.

But Apple's support for Flash has been flagging. While Flash is present on nearly every Apple desktop and laptop computer, the company decided that Flash would not be used on the iPhone. Apple has argued that the Flash technology is too slow and unduly taxes laptops and netbooks. The company also has concerns over Flash's vulnerability to viruses and other malware, as well as the way Flash-based content can voraciously consume battery life.

Adobe, unsurprisingly, disagrees "” and has its own theory about why Apple remains hostile to Flash. Adrian Ludwig, group manager for the Flash platform product at Adobe, said he believed Apple's opposition was a way for the company to control its iTunes system. "I think it's pretty clear that Apple wants to regain control of the content consumers see online and the content Apple offers for their devices," Mr. Ludwig said.

But concerns over the lack of Flash in the iPad and iPhone may be short-lived. Many online video sites have been experimenting with a new video format, called HTML5. Unlike Flash, which is a downloaded piece of software that can interact with a computer's operating system, HTML5 works directly in a Web browser. And although this new video format does not work in all browsers, it will allow iPhone and iPad users to enjoy more Web-based video content.

In addition, the patents surrounding HTML5 are owned by a group of companies; Apple is a part of that group.

YouTube announced this year that it was testing the new format for select videos. In the past, YouTube videos were encoded in Flash, but were re-encoded for the iPhone.

The popular video-sharing site Vimeo.com is also experimenting with new platforms, based on comments from its online community. "We received a tremendous amount of feedback from our users saying that they wanted to have HTML5 as an option for their videos," said Andrew Pile, vice president for product and development at Vimeo, an online video service. Mr. Pile does not see this new format replacing Vimeo's Flash-video inventory, but will instead offer it as an option for its viewers.

Other video sites, including Blip.tv and Flickr.com, Yahoo's photo and video-sharing Web site, also hope to start experimenting with alternatives to the Flash video platform in the coming year.

But migrating the entire Web to the new format will not be fast, or easy. Flash has all the advantages any entrenched technology enjoys and remains the standard multimedia language for a vast majority of developers and programmers. And while HTML5 may help standardize Web video, it does not necessarily address the needs of other types of online content created in Flash, including animated advertisements and online gaming.

Andrew Frank, research vice president at Gartner, believes it is impossible for Apple to maintain a walled garden around the content and advertising people consume on the iPad. Mr. Frank said, "I think we're a long way from the iPad having enough influence on the advertising market to affect the decisions and process around online display advertising."

But even if the standoff between Apple and Adobe continues, these advances in Web-based video mean that iPhone and iPad users will start to see fewer blank squares online.

Mute

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I believe this is the general consesus on the iPad:
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
http://gizmodo.com/5467447/notion-in...=Google+Reader

Notion Ink's Adam Tablet Will Have Flash, Output At 1080p and Have Battery Life 2x Longer Than iPad

500x_notion3_01.jpg

Flash, a longer battery life, outputting video at 1080p, a $1m app competition—these are just some of the ways Notion Ink is hoping its Android-powered Adam tablet will be able to win customers over.

The tablet has gone through several different guises since renders were unveiled in December. From the slick silver-edged device, to the roll-topped plastic prototype at CES, the latest renders suggest the final design will be more in keeping with that cheaper-looking prototype, although much slimmer. They're reportedly considering launching two different models, with the key difference being how thin they are—either 12.9mm or 11.6mm, which suggests different displays being used.

Pitting it against the iPad, CEO Rohan Shravan told SlashGear that due to the Nvidia chip and Pixel Qi screen, the Adam will have a battery life at least two times longer. Plus, it'll be able to output 1080p video whereas Apple's tablet can only manage up to 576p, AND they're exploring the use of Flash, which will apparently be shown off next week.

Recognizing that despite offering more spec than the iPad they still have a battle on their hands, they're encouraging development for the Adam with a $1m bounty being put up for creating apps. They haven't officially announced the competition yet, but as soon as we hear we'll let you know how you can put your creative genius to work.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by holymadness

Notion Ink's Adam Tablet Will Have Flash, Output At 1080p and Have Battery Life 2x Longer Than iPad

Despite all this, the iPad strength is going to be in its apps (not to mention the rabid fan base). Just like the iPhone is subpar as an actual phone it does rather well because there really is an app for everything.

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jumbie
Despite all this, the iPad strength is going to be in its apps (not to mention the rabid fan base). Just like the iPhone is subpar as an actual phone it does rather well because there really is an app for everything.

ah, but its running Android so it has almost the same amount of apps as the iStore, most of the apps are free, and there are less duplicates.

sunror

Reaction score
i dont think 1080p v 576p or whatever is an issue if this is also a small ipad sized tablet device. is the screen going to be bigger?

dhaller

Reaction score
The iPad will be perfect for me.

I lecture from PDFs, so I usually have my Macbook on a podium, and I just refer to it from time to time - with the iPad, I can just sort of carry it like a clipboard: much easier.

I was actually planning to do the same thing with a Kindle - being busy lately, I simply hadn't gotten around to getting one - but I think I'll wait for the iPad now.

DH

r...

Reaction score
Not for nothing but you could probably print a pdf out and read from that... I know, just sayin'

Yngling

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
So in a nutshell...

What is the difference between this and a netbook?

I will probably buy this (or get my employer to buy me one), despite the two things I really need it to have, which is a camera and multitasking. I suspect the latter will be introduced in some limited form (as long as I can have Skype and Spotify open while writing emails, I am good), and hopefully they'll put a camera on it so I can use video calls on Skype on the next version.

My take is that this is a netbook. Or rather, a new way to build netbooks. People who use netbooks use them mostly for browsing the web, writing documents, giving presentations and watching video or listening to music while on the go.

This device does exactly that, while minimizing size and maximizing screen real estate. You only have a keyboard when you need it, and at home you can even have a keyboard dock with a physical keyboard.

I foresee a situation where a family has one large machine at home (with the working dad or mom having priority usage) and several individual iPads for use at work, school, doing homework etc. If iPads are lost you can even get a new one and restore it, with loss being restricted to the time since last synch.

I suspect this device (except for the two shortcomings I hope gets fixed soon) satisfies most people's need for a computer, even if it does not satisfy ours.

Ex animo,
- Alexander.

dhaller

Reaction score
Originally Posted by r...
Not for nothing but you could probably print a pdf out and read from that... I know, just sayin'

I can carry all the lecture notes from every class I teach and every presentation and seminar I give at talks and conferences right there in one place, all the time - easily 10k pages of material. Much more convenient than bothering with paper.

DH

ozymandias

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dhaller
I can carry all the lecture notes from every class I teach and every presentation and seminar I give at talks and conferences right there in one place, all the time - easily 10k pages of material. Much more convenient than bothering with paper.

DH

You monster, think of all the hardworking, fine men and women of the pulp manufacturing sector.

dhaller

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ozymandias
You monster, think of all the hardworking, fine men and women of the pulp manufacturing sector.

I used to own a publishing company - whether I sympathize with or laugh at them, I'm unsure
wink.gif

DH

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads