• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

iPad

emakris

Reaction score
Originally Posted by aqhong
Have you read any reviews from those who handled them after the event? Almost every one of them has mentioned that perhaps the most impressive thing about it was its sheer speed and interface responsiveness. Example: http://daringfireball.net/2010/01/ipad_big_picture
Sorry, what I meant was that when the iPhone hardware finally included the features I was looking for on a smartphone, it was the responsiveness that sold it to me (given that these features already existed on other smartphones). Likewise, when the features I'm looking for on a tablet become available on the iPad (mainly access to a local filestore, ability to download from the internet and larger capacity), I might buy it. The iPhone OS has always been super-responsive, as opposed to other smartphones and I'm sure it'll be no different for the iPad. In any case, I think eventually it will be the software that will make or break the iPad and not things like the lack of physical keyboard or camera.

aqhong

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by emakris
Likewise, when the features I'm looking for on a tablet become available on the iPad (mainly access to a local filestore, ability to download from the internet and larger capacity), I might buy it.
I'm not sure what you mean by "local filestore," but there is a shared directory on the iPad that apps will be able to read/write to, and that will mount on your Mac/PC to allow you to transfer files back and forth. I am also fairly certain I read somewhere that downloading files through MobileSafari will be possible. (Access to the filesystem at large is obviously verboten, though, and runs counter to the entire idea of iPhone OS).

emakris

Reaction score
Well, good. When all these features are confirmed or become available then I will be very interested indeed. Overall, I like the concept and I can see myself using it at home where I don't really need a computer.

UnFacconable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by milosz
[q] it's not a stand-alone product, it needs to be tethered to a PC.[/q]

Does it really? Assuming we're talking geriatric/minimal use demo here, they don't need a PC for e-mail, web browsing, contacts, watching video, etc.. Why would the iPad absolutely need to be tethered. (I don't even sync my iPhone, FWIW)

They need a wi-fi hookup. Which will itself be irrelevant if 4G owns the world in a couple of years.

Look, I guess it depends on who the product is really intended for. I think people (both for and against) are picking and choosing based on whatever suits their point of view. This might be a geriatric internet tablet, and if you don't need to get media on or off the device, can be used as such without a real computer to attach it to. You can download software to it directly from the itunes store accessible on the iPad.

However, since it doesn't have any external connectors it's not meant to work with current mp3 players, digital cameras, etc. Like those devices, it attaches to a real computer to exchange information. I suspect in this iteration it is not intended to be someone's first/primary computer.

I'm in emakris' camp. Seems like a nice stay-at-home device, not a portable one, and it would be a nice third or fourth internet-enabled device for someone who wants everything. As such, you wouldn't worry as much about its limitations because for anything it couldn't handle, you'd switch to a real computer. Which is much the same as how iPhones are used at home right now. This is more of a luxury item.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdc_2008
They were trying to keep up with the flow....

rimshot.gif

aqhong

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by audiophilia
7000 views for a POS, useless device.
I find your ideas intriguing, and would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aqhong
I find your ideas intriguing, and would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

That's unfair. It has some uses, and they have been posted here. It also has some negatives, and they have been posted here as well. If you don't like the device: don't get it.

scb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by UnFacconable
However, since it doesn't have any external connectors it's not meant to work with current mp3 players, digital cameras, etc. Like those devices, it attaches to a real computer to exchange information.

you can hook up a digital camera to it, or an sd card

Originally Posted by audiophilia
7000 views for a POS, useless device.

yet everyone who thinks it sucks is still taking the time to talk about it

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads