iPad

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Augusto86, Jan 27, 2010.

1. britishboy

britishboy New Member

New iPad commercial

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

^ I have to admit that when I first saw the name I thought of this.

2. Tck13

Tck13 Senior member

Article in NYT about the absence of Flash from the iphone, ipad, etc...

Link

3. Mute

Mute Senior member

I believe this is the general consesus on the iPad:
    IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

4. holymadness

holymadness Senior member

http://gizmodo.com/5467447/notion-in...=Google+Reader

Notion Ink's Adam Tablet Will Have Flash, Output At 1080p and Have Battery Life 2x Longer Than iPad

[​IMG]

Flash, a longer battery life, outputting video at 1080p, a $1m app competition—these are just some of the ways Notion Ink is hoping its Android-powered Adam tablet will be able to win customers over.

The tablet has gone through several different guises since renders were unveiled in December. From the slick silver-edged device, to the roll-topped plastic prototype at CES, the latest renders suggest the final design will be more in keeping with that cheaper-looking prototype, although much slimmer. They're reportedly considering launching two different models, with the key difference being how thin they are—either 12.9mm or 11.6mm, which suggests different displays being used.

Pitting it against the iPad, CEO Rohan Shravan told SlashGear that due to the Nvidia chip and Pixel Qi screen, the Adam will have a battery life at least two times longer. Plus, it'll be able to output 1080p video whereas Apple's tablet can only manage up to 576p, AND they're exploring the use of Flash, which will apparently be shown off next week.

Recognizing that despite offering more spec than the iPad they still have a battle on their hands, they're encouraging development for the Adam with a $1m bounty being put up for creating apps. They haven't officially announced the competition yet, but as soon as we hear we'll let you know how you can put your creative genius to work.

5. milosh

milosh Senior member

Article in NYT about the absence of Flash from the iphone, ipad, etc...

Link

Whoever wrote that apparently has no idea what he's talking about.

6. onion

onion Senior member

7. Jumbie

Jumbie Senior member

Notion Ink's Adam Tablet Will Have Flash, Output At 1080p and Have Battery Life 2x Longer Than iPad

Despite all this, the iPad strength is going to be in its apps (not to mention the rabid fan base). Just like the iPhone is subpar as an actual phone it does rather well because there really is an app for everything.

8. ratboycom

ratboycom Senior member

Despite all this, the iPad strength is going to be in its apps (not to mention the rabid fan base). Just like the iPhone is subpar as an actual phone it does rather well because there really is an app for everything.

ah, but its running Android so it has almost the same amount of apps as the iStore, most of the apps are free, and there are less duplicates.

9. sunror

sunror Senior member

i dont think 1080p v 576p or whatever is an issue if this is also a small ipad sized tablet device. is the screen going to be bigger?

10. dhaller

dhaller Senior member

The iPad will be perfect for me.

I lecture from PDFs, so I usually have my Macbook on a podium, and I just refer to it from time to time - with the iPad, I can just sort of carry it like a clipboard: much easier.

I was actually planning to do the same thing with a Kindle - being busy lately, I simply hadn't gotten around to getting one - but I think I'll wait for the iPad now.

DH

11. r...

r... Senior member

Not for nothing but you could probably print a pdf out and read from that... I know, just sayin'

12. Yngling

Yngling Active Member

So in a nutshell...

What is the difference between this and a netbook?

I will probably buy this (or get my employer to buy me one), despite the two things I really need it to have, which is a camera and multitasking. I suspect the latter will be introduced in some limited form (as long as I can have Skype and Spotify open while writing emails, I am good), and hopefully they'll put a camera on it so I can use video calls on Skype on the next version.

My take is that this is a netbook. Or rather, a new way to build netbooks. People who use netbooks use them mostly for browsing the web, writing documents, giving presentations and watching video or listening to music while on the go.

This device does exactly that, while minimizing size and maximizing screen real estate. You only have a keyboard when you need it, and at home you can even have a keyboard dock with a physical keyboard.

I foresee a situation where a family has one large machine at home (with the working dad or mom having priority usage) and several individual iPads for use at work, school, doing homework etc. If iPads are lost you can even get a new one and restore it, with loss being restricted to the time since last synch.

I suspect this device (except for the two shortcomings I hope gets fixed soon) satisfies most people's need for a computer, even if it does not satisfy ours.

Ex animo,
    - Alexander.

13. dhaller

dhaller Senior member

Not for nothing but you could probably print a pdf out and read from that... I know, just sayin'

I can carry all the lecture notes from every class I teach and every presentation and seminar I give at talks and conferences right there in one place, all the time - easily 10k pages of material. Much more convenient than bothering with paper.

DH

14. ozymandias

ozymandias Senior member

I can carry all the lecture notes from every class I teach and every presentation and seminar I give at talks and conferences right there in one place, all the time - easily 10k pages of material. Much more convenient than bothering with paper.

DH

You monster, think of all the hardworking, fine men and women of the pulp manufacturing sector.

15. dhaller

dhaller Senior member

You monster, think of all the hardworking, fine men and women of the pulp manufacturing sector.

I used to own a publishing company - whether I sympathize with or laugh at them, I'm unsure [​IMG]

DH