• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What stereo(s) do you listen to? What do you want?

Pezzaturra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
Monochrome is not a common code word but I would guess it was a little sterile sounding which means not rich in tone or warm or particularly musical...prolly a poor midrange.

M-m-m yea I could see that about Triangle.
What about soft-edged? I found no soft edges in Triangle sounds whatsoever.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pezzaturra
M-m-m yea I could see that about Triangle.
What about soft-edged? I found no soft edges in Triangle sounds whatsoever.

I will let him answer that...too difficult to know for sure what he meant.

Pezzaturra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
I will let him answer that...too difficult to know for sure what he meant.

So you are not fluent in audio-speak afterall....dissapointed.
plain.gif

montyharding

Reaction score
I have an extraordinarily complicated setup consisting of custom-built PC's, dCS, Mark Levinson, Duevel and other stuff. I think I would like an Olive hooked up to the telly and a pair of powered monitors
confused.gif

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by montyharding
I have an extraordinarily complicated setup consisting of custom-built PC's, dCS, Mark Levinson, Duevel and other stuff.

I think I would like an Olive hooked up to the telly and a pair of powered monitors
confused.gif

Do you have any pics of your rig? I'd love to see it.

montyharding

Reaction score
I make a point of not posting identifying pics these days - and I do poor 'glamour shots' despite an all-Leica camera line up. A case of 'all the gear, don't really care if I have no idea' in all respects really...

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
I have a high-end Nakamichi cassette tape deck.

They weren't always making stereo systems for Lexus cars; they were one of the go-to brands for extremely high-end cassette decks.

True, but Levinson is really the high end stereo maker for Lexus.

I'm trying to get a listen to the Burmester system in the new Porsche Panamera.

freshcutgrass

Reaction score
I have a high-end Nakamichi cassette tape deck.
Which one? I was thinking instead of going the RTR route, I would get a high quality cassette recorder for FM live-to-air broadcasts.

I've been eying a ZX-7 at a local used shop that's under $200. A Dragon would be nice, and not hard to find....but they are pricey. The same shop has a Revox B710 ($500 ).

But I recently found a Pioneer CT-F1250, which I hear is very good. Condition is unknown at this point (tells me it works when I casually inquired about it). He said he wanted $150 for it, but I'm sure I could talk him down. Anybody have any opinions about this unit?

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by freshcutgrass
Which one? I was thinking instead of going the RTR route, I would get a high quality cassette recorder for FM live-to-air broadcasts. I've been eying a ZX-7 at a local used shop that's under $200. A Dragon would be nice, and not hard to find....but they are pricey. The same shop has a Revox B710 ($500 ). But I recently found a Pioneer CT-F1250, which I hear is very good. Condition is unknown at this point (tells me it works when I casually inquired about it). He said he wanted $150 for it, but I'm sure I could talk him down. Anybody have any opinions about this unit?
I have a Nakamichi 700 II, a nice bit of design:
td_nakamichi_700.jpg
The 1000ZXL limited edition is the big daddy of them:
1212659471_0c_3.jpg
I don't know about the Pioneer, but I think a good reel to reel is essential if one is going tape. Cassette can sound good, but it still can't compare to reel to reel, which I find is the equivalent of vinyl if done right. Sony also attempted to market an Elcaset, which was like a cassette the size of a Betamax. It was supposed to be the portable answer to reel-to-reel sound quality.

freshcutgrass

Reaction score
Hey...I like your 700. My favorite Nak, stylistically, is it's big brother I guess...the 700ZXL

And yes, RTR is the way to go, but not for the faint of heart. I figured for a hundred bucks, it wouldn't hurt to have an iconic cassette deck as well.

I would like a Revox B77 or a Technics RS1500 capable of 15IPS

Not sure how good this Pioneer is...but the all black rack mount design is stunning.

And for dreaming....

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Studer also made some top-end portable machines like the 810:
studer_a810_04.jpg
Sony marketed a top-end consumer machine, the TC-880, which sold sold for almost $6,000 in the early '70s:
tc880%20pic.jpg
http://www.thevintageknob.org/SONY/s...02/TC8802.html If you want to go the period audiophile route, you'd also get a Dolby or dbx noise reduction/dynamic enhancement unit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads