What stereo(s) do you listen to? What do you want?

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Artisan Fan, Feb 11, 2008.

1. Pezzaturra

Pezzaturra Senior member

Monochrome is not a common code word but I would guess it was a little sterile sounding which means not rich in tone or warm or particularly musical...prolly a poor midrange.

M-m-m yea I could see that about Triangle.
    What about soft-edged? I found no soft edges in Triangle sounds whatsoever.

2. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Suitsupply-sider

M-m-m yea I could see that about Triangle.
    What about soft-edged? I found no soft edges in Triangle sounds whatsoever.

I will let him answer that...too difficult to know for sure what he meant.

3. Pezzaturra

Pezzaturra Senior member

I will let him answer that...too difficult to know for sure what he meant.

So you are not fluent in audio-speak afterall....dissapointed.[​IMG]

4. montyharding

montyharding Senior member

I have an extraordinarily complicated setup consisting of custom-built PC's, dCS, Mark Levinson, Duevel and other stuff. I think I would like an Olive hooked up to the telly and a pair of powered monitors [​IMG]

5. Artisan Fan

I have an extraordinarily complicated setup consisting of custom-built PC's, dCS, Mark Levinson, Duevel and other stuff.

I think I would like an Olive hooked up to the telly and a pair of powered monitors [​IMG]

Do you have any pics of your rig? I'd love to see it.

6. montyharding

montyharding Senior member

I make a point of not posting identifying pics these days - and I do poor 'glamour shots' despite an all-Leica camera line up. A case of 'all the gear, don't really care if I have no idea' in all respects really...

7. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I have a high-end Nakamichi cassette tape deck.

They weren't always making stereo systems for Lexus cars; they were one of the go-to brands for extremely high-end cassette decks.

8. Artisan Fan

I have a high-end Nakamichi cassette tape deck.

They weren't always making stereo systems for Lexus cars; they were one of the go-to brands for extremely high-end cassette decks.

True, but Levinson is really the high end stereo maker for Lexus.

I'm trying to get a listen to the Burmester system in the new Porsche Panamera.

9. A Y

A Y Senior member

True, but Levinson is really the high end stereo label for Lexus.

FTFY.

--Andre

10. freshcutgrass

freshcutgrass Senior member

Which one? I was thinking instead of going the RTR route, I would get a high quality cassette recorder for FM live-to-air broadcasts.

I've been eying a ZX-7 at a local used shop that's under $200. A Dragon would be nice, and not hard to find....but they are pricey. The same shop has a Revox B710 ($500 ).

But I recently found a Pioneer CT-F1250, which I hear is very good. Condition is unknown at this point (tells me it works when I casually inquired about it). He said he wanted $150 for it, but I'm sure I could talk him down. Anybody have any opinions about this unit?

[​IMG]

11. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Which one? I was thinking instead of going the RTR route, I would get a high quality cassette recorder for FM live-to-air broadcasts. I've been eying a ZX-7 at a local used shop that's under $200. A Dragon would be nice, and not hard to find....but they are pricey. The same shop has a Revox B710 ($500 ). But I recently found a Pioneer CT-F1250, which I hear is very good. Condition is unknown at this point (tells me it works when I casually inquired about it). He said he wanted $150 for it, but I'm sure I could talk him down. Anybody have any opinions about this unit? [​IMG]
    I have a Nakamichi 700 II, a nice bit of design: [​IMG] The 1000ZXL limited edition is the big daddy of them: [​IMG] I don't know about the Pioneer, but I think a good reel to reel is essential if one is going tape. Cassette can sound good, but it still can't compare to reel to reel, which I find is the equivalent of vinyl if done right. Sony also attempted to market an Elcaset, which was like a cassette the size of a Betamax. It was supposed to be the portable answer to reel-to-reel sound quality.

12. freshcutgrass

freshcutgrass Senior member

Hey...I like your 700. My favorite Nak, stylistically, is it's big brother I guess...the 700ZXL

[​IMG]

And yes, RTR is the way to go, but not for the faint of heart. I figured for a hundred bucks, it wouldn't hurt to have an iconic cassette deck as well.

I would like a Revox B77 or a Technics RS1500 capable of 15IPS

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not sure how good this Pioneer is...but the all black rack mount design is stunning.

[​IMG]

And for dreaming....

[​IMG]

13. Trip English

Trip English New Member

Bang & Olufsen setup. BeoSound 5 & BeoSound 3200 with BeoLab 3s & a BeoLab 2.

14. Artisan Fan

And for dreaming....

[​IMG]

I love me some Nagra. [​IMG]

15. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Studer also made some top-end portable machines like the 810: [​IMG] Sony marketed a top-end consumer machine, the TC-880, which sold sold for almost $6,000 in the early '70s: [​IMG] http://www.thevintageknob.org/SONY/s...02/TC8802.html If you want to go the period audiophile route, you'd also get a Dolby or dbx noise reduction/dynamic enhancement unit.