What stereo(s) do you listen to? What do you want?

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Artisan Fan, Feb 11, 2008.

1. jakejake

jakejake Senior member

You are very welcome roma. Sorry for the late response. The Ushers really do sound nice. I know the importer Atul (another McKinsey guy but don't hold that against him. [​IMG]) and I have heard them on many occasions.

We use the Usher Be-718 monitors to master our classical recordings. Revealing and musical.

AF - Have you listened or compared the Von Schweikert VR-1 to the Usher?

2. audiophilia

audiophilia Senior member

I like the VR-1s. Albert's an interesting guy. Here's an old tour of the factory. 12 years ago. The Iron Age in WWW years.

3. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Suitsupply-sider

Yes, I prefer the Usher but I really like the new Von Schweikerts. I've talked to the designer several times and he is a really nice guy. I'd say he is doing some of his best work lately. The Unifield 3 is really good.

4. Pezzaturra

Pezzaturra Senior member

I bought a pair of Triangle Heliades and they remind me of impolite step brothers of De Vore Gibbons. But for the price of 699.00 I can live with them for a while.
    They are very efficient and could be played quiet without loosing the detail. Great imaging, great detail of sound but not so great bass(dry and chocked).

5. Artisan Fan

I bought a pair of Triangle Heliades and they remind me of impolite step brothers of De Vore Gibbons. But for the price of 699.00 I can live with them for a while.
    They are very efficient and could be played quiet without loosing the detail. Great imaging, great detail of sound but not so great bass(dry and chocked).

I like the Triangle speaker line. Some of the higher end ones are really terrific.

6. audiophilia

I like the Triangle speaker line. Some of the higher end ones are really terrific.
    For sure, but the cheaper models I find way too soft edged and monochrome, at least the ones I heard a couple of years ago.

7. deaddog

deaddog Senior member

The best finishes in the biz. By far. $$$$$

I know they don't get a lot of love from audiophiles but I just picked up a pair of Paradigm Signature S2. Sound is very, very good and look fantastic in birdseye maple. Maybe not quite as furniture-like as SF but damn close, with a slightly curved cabinet and excellent wood finishing. I didn't listen to the bigger models but I did see them and they are equally good-looking. And, at least for the S2, they are blowing out the v.2 for about 1/2 price.

8. audiophilia

Lots of companies have good refinishers, incl ProAc, Focal, etc....the trick is consistency. That's where SF wins. They have been using the same artisans for many years.

9. Artisan Fan

I know they don't get a lot of love from audiophiles but I just picked up a pair of Paradigm Signature S2. Sound is very, very good and look fantastic in birdseye maple. Maybe not quite as furniture-like as SF but damn close, with a slightly curved cabinet and excellent wood finishing. I didn't listen to the bigger models but I did see them and they are equally good-looking. And, at least for the S2, they are blowing out the v.2 for about 1/2 price.

A friend of mine has these and they sound terrific. Ditto on the S4s. Paradigm is a good company.

10. Pezzaturra

Pezzaturra Senior member

For sure, but the cheaper models I find way too soft edged and monochrome, at least the ones I heard a couple of years ago.

Could you elaborate a little : What do you mean by soft edged: soft in treble, tube-like?
    What does monochrome sound means?
    Why audiophiles insist on speaking in some sort of code language?

11. scb

scb Senior member

the VR-2s are extremely good speakers for the money. They sound better than many speakers 2-3 times the price (and the bass is incredible)

12. Artisan Fan

Could you elaborate a little : What do you mean by soft edged: soft in treble, tube-like?
    What does monochrome sound means?
    Why audiophiles insist on speaking in some sort of code language?

Like many hobbies from clothing to shoes to home theater, there is a certain established language that helps describe sound quality differences. While obscure on first read this language is often very valuable in coveying differences.

13. Pezzaturra

Pezzaturra Senior member

Like many hobbies from clothing to shoes to home theater, there is a certain established language that helps describe sound quality differences. While obscure on first read this language is often very valuable in coveying differences.

Thank you for that clarification. Does it mean you speak "audiophile" and could trasnslate for me what he ment?[​IMG]

14. Artisan Fan

Thank you for that clarification. Does it mean you speak "audiophile" and could trasnslate for me what he ment?[​IMG]

Monochrome is not a common code word but I would guess it was a little sterile sounding which means not rich in tone or warm or particularly musical...prolly a poor midrange.

15. A Y

A Y Senior member

Monochrome is not a common code word but I would guess it was a little sterile sounding which means not rich in tone or warm or particularly musical...prolly a poor midrange.

I like to think that he was just listening to some Bruckner. [​IMG]

--Andre