• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

iPad

r...

Reaction score
Originally Posted by binge
Speculation around a hinged case to hook two ipads together like the OLPC XO-2

Wonderful in theory but that project has been shelved. Negorponte's M.O. is to threaten to make great products then watch as his renderings get implemented into actual consumer products while the actual products OLPC makes turn out to be turds for twice the originally quoted price.

New Vid of the iPad in actiona via Gdgt
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

TheIdler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dunno; do I want a third product that overlaps so much in functionality with two other things that it's not going to replace?

Maybe I do. Mmm, apple.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I dunno. I want to say it's a ************* that no one will buy, but I said that about the iPod and iPhone too.

But the success of the iPod and iPhone hasn't changed my mind about them being pieces of ****.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by javyn
I dunno. I want to say it's a ************* that no one will buy, but I said that about the iPod and iPhone too.

It could be; literally. Yet if you slap an Apple logo on it and have el Jobso market it it will sell millions.

UnFacconable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by javyn

But the success of the iPod and iPhone hasn't changed my mind about them being pieces of ****.

People said that about the Newton and Cube too.

This is not comparable to the iPod or iPhone at the outset. People had portable music devices for years, the iPod did it better. People had portable phones already and replaced them with iPhones. Apple does well when it builds a better mousetrap. Who knows what happens when it builds a better sasquatch trap. Maybe you're going to tell me that everyone who owns a Kindle is going to replace it with an iPad, I don't know; I suppose that people who commute on public trans but don't need to bring laptops with them will use this thing, and it could be great for that purpose. I don't believe the addressable market is even 1/5th as large as the iPod or iPhone market however.

For what it's worth, I'd like to know how AppleTV and the Mac Mini sell, even though the Mac Mini is basically just a small desktop, because they are different enough from existing solutions.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The price is good. Apple finally realized that they can't get away with overpricing their products.

I think it is a pretty good idea since I do all my home computing on my iPhone.

Not sure how I feel about the product though. It isn't small enough to be ultra portable and it isn't large enough to do some serious work. I'd probably pick the Air over this.

The fact that it doesn't have a camera is ridiculous too, which cuts out a huge section of the business market I think who would like to teleconference.

edited for suited.

sunror

Reaction score
product looks like a super option for reading books

i do not like the amazon kindle

aqhong

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiecollector
Apple finally realized that they can't get away with overpricing their products.
LOL if you really believe this.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aqhong
LOL if you really believe this.

A few years ago they could have easily sold this for $999.
confused.gif

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sunror
product looks like a super option for reading books

No it doesn't. It brings color to the table but reading an E Ink display >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> LCD.

Absolutely no contest!

i do not like the amazon kindle
Why not?

UnFacconable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by UnFacconable
For what it's worth, I'd like to know how AppleTV and the Mac Mini sell, even though the Mac Mini is basically just a small desktop, because they are different enough from existing solutions.

Answering my own question:

Well, I can't find much on the Mini other than that as of 2008 it wasn't doing well and was almost shelved, but sales picked up a bit with the recent round of refreshes. I don't consider it a smashing sales success.

On the Apple TV, it appears that sales were up 3x in Q1 2009, but overall for 2009 were up just 10% over 2008. No absolute sales numbers, but the company calls it a "hobby" product on its earnings calls.

Would it surprise anyone if the iPad is ultimately considered a hobby product?

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by UnFacconable
Would it surprise anyone if the iPad is ultimately considered a hobby product?

No, that's exactly what it will be.

It will sell well when it's first released due to the newness of it but then people will eventually realize that it's not all that useful and their laptop/netbook + iPhone already serve their needs adequately and this is just something that's perhaps "nice to have".

aqhong

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiecollector
A few years ago they could have easily sold this for $999.
confused.gif

Close, but not quite. This year, they could've easily sold this for $999, and people would still be lining up around the block to buy them come release day. It's the price everyone thought it would be all the way up until the announcement, after all. They could've then dropped the price gradually, just as they did with the iPhone. In fact, they basically say this themselves at the end of the iPad intro video when talking about pricing. The reason Apple's pricing it at $499 instead of $999 is because, for the first time, they're going for market share rather than obscene profit. This is a market in its infancy, and they want to own it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads