• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you reading?

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've always wanted to read that. I was talking with my "mentor" (my favorite teacher from high school; we keep in touch) and he told me to read Willa Cather's Death Comes for the Archbishop prior to Lolita. I may have to take his advice.
Originally Posted by AntiHero84
I just finished reading A Tale of Two Cities, which inspired me to pick up:
517BXDQF41L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA240_SH20_OU01_.jpg

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
I was talking with my "mentor" (my favorite teacher from high school; we keep in touch) and he told me to read Willa Cather's Death Comes for the Archbishop prior to Lolita. I may have to take his advice.

Were you asking him which you should read first, or does he see DCFTA as some sort of precursor to Lolita? It has never occurred to me to think of them as linked in any way. Regardless, I heartily recommend both (in whatever order you choose).

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
Were you asking him which you should read first, or does he see DCFTA as some sort of precursor to Lolita? It has never occurred to me to think of them as linked in any way. Regardless, I heartily recommend both (in whatever order you choose).
No, he just suggested I read it first. He is very eccentric.

lawyerdad

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Wallcloud
I find Rands writing to be very entertaining. I can see how disagreeing with the philosophy of the book would make reading it a grind.

It is the greatest fantasy series ever. I found the most recent book very entertaining. I think having a fresh writer actually breathed a little life into this series. I finished my 3rd re-read of the series just before The Gathering Storm.

I think you have it backwards (and are missing L.R.'s point). She simply wasn't a very good writer, and only a certain identification with or at least curiosity about her politics/philosophy/whatever could make it worth the grind (or, I suppose, if you were expecting to be tested on it).

It amuses me to see how your post reads without the context of your quote from L.R.'s post.
smile.gif
But I don't mean to misrepresent what you were saying, so let me explicitly acknowledge that your first and second paragraph above are discussing different books . . .

lawyerdad

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
No, he just suggested I read it first. He is very eccentric.
Maybe he figures that Willa Cather
cather.jpg
is more up your alley than Dominique Swain
nm0000663
MV5BMTkzMzcwMTg3N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwMjk5Njc4._V1._SX303_SY400_.jpg
laugh.gif

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just finished reading Cormac McCarthy's All The Pretty Horses today. I really enjoy his style and prose and he always seems to provide a really easy read to go along with an interesting story line. Next up on the list:
Fargofzdh.JPG
I got it as a Christmas gift and am really interested (I love Klosterman's other writing).

jon bones

Reaction score
Originally Posted by L.R.
Quite possibly the best fantasy series out there. (And yes, that includes LoTR and Narnia series').

but does it include THE best fantasy series out ever? you probably have heard of it if you're a fantasy fan but this transcends every cliche of the genre. it's being turned into an HBO series but i encourage all speculative fiction fans to check it out. it is brilliant:

a-game-of-thrones_hd1.jpg

Biscotti

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just finished: Less Than Zero (Bret Easton Ellis)
Reading: Glamorama (Bret Easton Ellis)
And then: The Invisible Man (Ralph Emerson)

Nil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by L.R.
I have just finished re-reading the complete Wheel of Time series as well. Quite possibly the best fantasy series out there. (And yes, that includes LoTR and Narnia series').

No. Hell no in fact. When a significant portion of the series is tedious at best, it does not deserve to be anywhere near the top of any list except for perhaps one pertaining to length. Not to mention Jordan's poor writing style and repetitive use of stock phrases; I wonder how many times he compared a Warder to some type of prowling lion/jaguar/wolf/other predatory beast not to mention the swirling cloak that makes everyone nauseated. The guy who picked up the mantle after Jordan died and wrote this last book is a far better writer.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nil
No. Hell no in fact. When a significant portion of the series is tedious at best, it does not deserve to be anywhere near the top of any list except for perhaps one pertaining to length. Not to mention Jordan's poor writing style and repetitive use of stock phrases; I wonder how many times he compared a Warder to some type of prowling lion/jaguar/wolf/other predatory beast not to mention the swirling cloak that makes everyone nauseated. The guy who picked up the mantle after Jordan died and wrote this last book is a far better writer.

That reminds me of some genre fiction I read once that must've used 'preternatural' in every other sentence. I swear the author wrote in nominalizations just to use the word more ('I made a preternatural jump'). I never finished the book, but I think Hemingway kills the author at the end.

jesask

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Simon Templar
On the Road by Jack Kerouac.

Any book recommendations regarding life/atmosphere in 50's/60's America are welcome.

Read American Tabloid by James Ellroy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads