• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suit Alteration to Narrow Shoulders?

stat1

Reaction score
The manager at a men's specialty store said that a common alteration to narrow the shoulders slightly would be to remove some fabric from the middle of the jacket. He pulled behind the neck slightly and said the alteration would also shorten the length of a jacket slightly. I have been told never to do alterations in the shoulders for RTW. Is this type of aleration common? Generally is it a bad idea? He seemed confident in his tailors skills and said it was not an uncommon practice. The jacket fits relatively well in the shoulders but he said the alteration would be a matter of preference. I am in between a 38 and 40 for most makers and I suspect the alteration would be more for aesthetics, maybe getting me to a hair larger than 39. It is a Ravazzolo if that helps. Thanks in adavnce all!

niidawg3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by stat1
The manager at a men's specialty store said that a common alteration to narrow the shoulders slightly would be to remove some fabric from the middle of the jacket. He pulled behind the neck slightly and said the alteration would also shorten the length of a jacket slightly. I have been told never to do alterations in the shoulders for RTW. Is this type of aleration common? Generally is it a bad idea? He seemed confident in his tailors skills and said it was not an uncommon practice. The jacket fits relatively well in the shoulders but he said the alteration would be a matter of preference. I am in between a 38 and 40 for most makers and I suspect the alteration would be more for aesthetics, maybe getting me to a hair larger than 39. It is a Ravazzolo if that helps. Thanks in adavnce all!

It can be done, but be cautious they dont destroy your stuff. I would have them do it on a blazer or suit you really dont care much about. Maybe buy something cheap of ebay and let them try it. Without seeing first hand results of their handiwork, you could be setting your Ravazzolo up for eternal damnation.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The manager at a men's specialty store said that a common alteration to narrow the shoulders slightly would be to remove some fabric from the middle of the jacket. He pulled behind the neck slightly and said the alteration would also shorten the length of a jacket slightly.

From what you described, it sounds more like he's taking in the chest area rather than the shoulders...a pretty standard alteration if he's just taking material in through the back seam.

stat1

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TRINI
From what you described, it sounds more like he's taking in the chest area rather than the shoulders...a pretty standard alteration if he's just taking material in through the back seam.

Yes....from what he described the shoulders/and armholes would be left alone. He did say that the alteration would be done through the back seam and it would reduce the width of the shoulders slightly. He pulled up slightly on the neck and pinched some fabric to give me an idea of what it might look like. Is this the same type of alteration you are referring to? Is this something that is normally done to reduce shoulder width?

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He's taking in the chest size, but in doing so, will also narrow the shoulder width a little bit.

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had the tailor at my local BB tell me this recently too. I am a 36R in a regent cut, but the dammed pants for the suit are cut very bizarrely in a way that will not accommodate ******. She recommended I size up and they take in the back. I tried on the 38R and was swimming in fabric. This same tailor also required significant tenacity to convince to put cuffs on my flat front pants. Why must a chain-store tailor argue with me when I want 2" cuffs? I remain skeptical.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Are you trying to make the chest fit, the shoulders fit or the armhole fit?

stat1

Reaction score
Originally Posted by alliswell
Are you trying to make the chest fit, the shoulders fit or the armhole fit?

I have to bring in the body of the jacket a bit so the suit has a more fitted tapered look. The arms holes and sleeves seem okay for the most part. They could fit a little bit more snug but since it is OTR I figure it would be okay. In most 38s the arms holes and sleeves can look tight. Even in certain cut 40s I have this problem. My arms aren't huge but around the tricep area it can look a little tight. The shoulders seem okay too but the manger suggested removing some fabric from the back seam which would help in getting a tighter fit in the chest and bring in the shoulders slightly. I am in between a 38 and 40 so I think this alteration would get me to slightly larger than a 39. I think he suggested this alteration since I wanted a fairly fitted look but he said it was a matter of preference and the shoulders looked okay to him. This alteration he said would also bring the jacket up a hair which is okay since I am in between a regular and a short. The back falls nicely. It is a Ravazzolo if that helps. Thanks for everyones help!

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have to bring in the body of the jacket a bit so the suit has a more fitted tapered look. The arms holes and sleeves seem okay for the most part. They could fit a little bit more snug but since it is OTR I figure it would be okay. In most 38s the arms holes and sleeves can look tight. Even in certain cut 40s I have this problem. My arms aren't huge but around the tricep area it can look a little tight. The shoulders seem okay too but the manger suggested removing some fabric from the back seam which would help in getting a tighter fit in the chest and bring in the shoulders slightly. I am in between a 38 and 40 so I think this alteration would get me to slightly larger than a 39. I think he suggested this alteration since I wanted a fairly fitted look but he said it was a matter of preference and the shoulders looked okay to him. This alteration he said would also bring the jacket up a hair which is okay since I am in between a regular and a short. The back falls nicely. It is a Ravazzolo if that helps. Thanks for everyones help!
I am not an expert, but: Bringing the chest in a bit is not an exotic alteration. If, however, the back falls nicely, why risk screwing it up? In the end, how good is your tailor? You need someone you can trust. How committed are you to the Ravazzolo look?

stat1

Reaction score
Originally Posted by philosophe
I am not an expert, but:

Bringing the chest in a bit is not an exotic alteration. If, however, the back falls nicely, why risk screwing it up?

In the end, how good is your tailor? You need someone you can trust.

How committed are you to the Ravazzolo look?

Not commited by any means. The suit looks nice but it also has to do with the lack of options. I need a suit fairly quickly and most stores have told me they are in between seasons and will be receiving new inventory in 2-4 weeks. I can't wait that long. Most stores have one solid charcoal at most. I just never heard of this alteration. I wasn't sure if this was considered a true shoulder alteration which I have been told to avoid for as long as I can remember. Thanks again.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads