• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Newbie with Ebay suit looking for alteration advice

loosegoose3

Reaction score
Been lurking for about 2 weeks ever since I found out that I will be attending a wedding later this year. I never wear suits so I'm not confident about how they are supposed to fit. I mean, I looked up some info on Google but I think more experienced eyes would be more insightful. So I just bought this used suit on ebay. If you're curious, it's a Suitsupply Sienna in 38S for $100. What kind of alterations should I have done?

Sorry, this is the only angle I have for now. Increasing sleeve length (slightly) seems like an obvious one. It looks like there is a bit of extra room around my midsection, will that will be an easy fix? I read about how it is much easier to take in than let out.

Jacket length and pants length seems to be okay? I know it might be a little hard to tell without side and back shot. Shoulders look okay?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Some things:

1. The jacket is too short

2. The back of the trousers should be cleaned up. In this photo, you can see how there's fabric rippling down the back of your legs. This will be more obvious if you stand in a three-way mirror and can see the back of your pants without craning your back. It looks like you naturally stand with your knees locked and hips forward, which is common. This creates more material at the back, which collapses down the back of your legs. To fix this, a tailor needs to shorten the back rise and let out the crotch seam.

3. As you noted, the sleeves should be let out.

4. The buttoning point is a bit high

Before you keep the suit, I would try something from Spier & Mackay. If you have more money to spend, try The Armoury's Model 3 and No Man Walks Alone's Sartoria Carrara line. The latter two lines have slightly extended shoulder lines, which will give you a more flattering silhouette. I don't think you need to let out the buttoning point, but the fit of that jacket is a little boxy. If you let out the waist more, it will have even less shape. If you take it in, it may pull. One way to add shape to a jacket is to extend the shoulder line to achieve a more flattering V-shaped figure.

If you never wear suits, I think you can let out the sleeves and call it a day. But if you wear tailored clothing often, it may be worth finding a better label.

loosegoose3

Reaction score
Some things:

1. The jacket is too short

2. The back of the trousers should be cleaned up. In this photo, you can see how there's fabric rippling down the back of your legs. This will be more obvious if you stand in a three-way mirror and can see the back of your pants without craning your back. It looks like you naturally stand with your knees locked and hips forward, which is common. This creates more material at the back, which collapses down the back of your legs. To fix this, a tailor needs to shorten the back rise and let out the crotch seam.

3. As you noted, the sleeves should be let out.

4. The buttoning point is a bit high

Before you keep the suit, I would try something from Spier & Mackay. If you have more money to spend, try The Armoury's Model 3 and No Man Walks Alone's Sartoria Carrara line. The latter two lines have slightly extended shoulder lines, which will give you a more flattering silhouette. I don't think you need to let out the buttoning point, but the fit of that jacket is a little boxy. If you let out the waist more, it will have even less shape. If you take it in, it may pull. One way to add shape to a jacket is to extend the shoulder line to achieve a more flattering V-shaped figure.

If you never wear suits, I think you can let out the sleeves and call it a day. But if you wear tailored clothing often, it may be worth finding a better label.
Thanks for the comments! I don't plan on wearing it often but I would like to look good in it so I may try a 38R if I can find one. I think I am right between S and R at 5'7. Budget is a concern which is why I went the ebay route. Great insight on the pants, I didn't even notice the rippling.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Been lurking for about 2 weeks ever since I found out that I will be attending a wedding later this year. I never wear suits so I'm not confident about how they are supposed to fit. I mean, I looked up some info on Google but I think more experienced eyes would be more insightful. So I just bought this used suit on ebay. If you're curious, it's a Suitsupply Sienna in 38S for $100. What kind of alterations should I have done?

Sorry, this is the only angle I have for now. Increasing sleeve length (slightly) seems like an obvious one. It looks like there is a bit of extra room around my midsection, will that will be an easy fix? I read about how it is much easier to take in than let out.

Jacket length and pants length seems to be okay? I know it might be a little hard to tell without side and back shot. Shoulders look okay?

Thanks in advance.
Hi there and welcome. I think the jacket looks fine but the sleeves are a bit short. If there’s enough fabric there so that a tailor can add about an inch you’ll be fine.

otherwise, I think everything looks pretty good, especially given the price. Nice find on your first go around!

ridgerider

Reaction score
For a first find, looks like you did pretty well on the price and the fit, given it wasn't made for you is not bad.

I would concentrate on the sleeve length as you mentioned. I would also work on the break where the trousers touch your shoes, so the trouser legs drape a little better, cuff them if you have the material (that's a personal taste suggestion).

I would also be sure whoever does the work check the fit at the back to be sure it drapes well there and you don't have any horizontal bunching across the shoulders and you can bring in the body if its too loose, but it looks like, with it buttoned, it's about right, even if it doesn't look fit to you.

I think the jacket length is a good compromise between the trend of very short jackets and more classic ones. I wouldn't spend any money on lengthening the jacket.

Anything you buy new (or used), that is not fitted to you, is going to vary in fit and need adjustments as you already know.

Good work on your first purchase and be careful buying from some of the more popular and lower-priced online clothing makers as you are very often not buying quality and the cloth is very average. I have made that mistake on one occasion and have given those garments to my son.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Threads of Apollo Leather Jackets: Which 2-tone colourway do you like the best?

• Blue

• Red

• Gold

• All of the Above

• None of the Above

Results are only viewable after voting.