• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pommes Maxim

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Keller says 300.
confused.gif

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's like oatmeal: heat it so the starches come into the porridge. More oatmeal with less liquid makes it thicker (so don't add too much butter and I'd assume the potatoes have enough water). Let the porridge sit out on the counter for a while and it gets a skin on top.

Well, maybe a pudding analogy would be more appropriate for the skin. Either way, it's the same principle.

Use russets.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm no expert but I'd say: no soak, no tossing in butter before overlapping them (just a touch on top) and no convection

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
it's always hard to trouble-shoot from a distance, and without knowing precisely what it was you didn't like about your result. That said, a couple of things come to mind (most of them already pointed out here). I think you want a waxy rather than starchy potato for this; Yukon falls right in the middle and might be the best choice--the goal is to have them brown and crisp (relatively high sugars) and have them hold together (a certain amount of starch, but mostly a firm texture). Don't slice them too thin (you want the contrast between crisp and tender inside, not just crisp). Allow enough time for the potatoes to cook through and brown (cook to visual indicators, not to a timer). One more thought: if you haven't already, cook these on a jellyroll pan or cookie sheet (you want to get the air circulating right over top, to prevent steaming).

horton

Reaction score
I've used the Keller method many times and it's worked well. Are you giving them plenty of time to rest?

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What if, after they're cooked, you press them to facilitate their adherence? Like, if you are using a baking pan with the silipat, you put a piece of parchment and then another pan on top with some even weight on it while it cools?

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not speaking to this recipe, per se, but Shirley O Corriher suggests for similar recipes that letting the potatoes refrigerate over night before peeling and slicing will convert some of the starch into sugar, which will improve browning in an oven.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon
Not speaking to this recipe, per se, but Shirley O Corriher suggests for similar recipes that letting the potatoes refrigerate over night before peeling and slicing will convert some of the starch into sugar, which will improve browning in an oven.

this is one of the risks when asking food science questions. yes, it will convert starch to sugar, improving browning .... but it will also make potatoes sweet. shirley is really cool and knows a lot, but she does tend to make these kinds of suggestions. in her first book she bastes chicken with corn syrup to improve browning. cooking is a lot more complicated than yes/no answers.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by foodguy
this is one of the risks when asking food science questions. yes, it will convert starch to sugar, improving browning .... but it will also make potatoes sweet. shirley is really cool and knows a lot, but she does tend to make these kinds of suggestions. in her first book she bastes chicken with corn syrup to improve browning. cooking is a lot more complicated than yes/no answers.

Not to mention you need the starch from the potatoes in order to hold the circular shape of the maxim together.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Not to mention you need the starch from the potatoes in order to hold the circular shape of the maxim together.

uh, yeah. besides tasting sh*tty, it won't work.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sugar would hold, but it's an extra step that only makes it taste worse.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
laugh.gif

I dunno, I might start basting my chicken in corn syrup.

i thought you got conne to do that for you.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by foodguy

This sounds like the worst thing ever.

In other news, I did another ad hoc recipe tonight--or almost, until I got to the component that takes one month to make.
plain.gif

Still, it was very tasty.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
This sounds like the worst thing ever.

In other news, I did another ad hoc recipe tonight--or almost, until I got to the component that takes one month to make.
plain.gif

Still, it was very tasty.

AAARGH! that's my main complaint with restaurant recipes in general. they presume you've got a huge mise already to go. when my writer reviewed the ad hoc book, she made a salad that wound up requiring 2 tablespoons or so of a peach puree that took hours to prepare. sure you can use the leftovers for other things, but it does seem out of scale.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads