• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HomerJ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
chrisb0109foofed.jpg

Wow he got his money's worth on this one. It's like a spot the difference game. I see tighter collar, wider lapel, wider collar spread (with stays?), tighter knot, smoother shoulders, lower buttoning point, relaxed chest, smoother sleeves, shorter sleeves, smoother trousers. Looks good.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Foo, I like most of your Foofings, but that one looks a little Ricky Ricardo to me. Too much shoulder for his head and build. If anything, I'd have softened the shoulders, rather than adding to them. Naturally, I prefer the skinny lapels too, but we can agree to disagree on that. EDIT: Here you go:
lucy_ok_21.jpg

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Foo, I like most of your Foofings, but that one looks a little Ricky Ricardo to me. Too much shoulder for his head and build. If anything, I'd have softened the shoulders, rather than adding to them.

I agree that his shoulders would look better if they were more natural, but: (1) I'm trying to turn a new leaf and foof people within the parameters of their own stylistic preferences, and (2) based on the original fit, it isn't clear where his natural shoulders actually are.

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Eh. I see shoulders jutting sideways out of sleeves all the time amongst men, usually younger ones like me, who obviously went for the slimmest fitting suit they could squeeze themselves into. It might sound like I'm nitpicking, but when a jacket is too tight in multiple places--as in Apropos's case--it gives the impression of great tension. Personally, I find it uncomfortable to look at, nonetheless imagine wearing.
Man, I really do appreciate you foofing my jacket, but you really do assume a heck of a lot based on a not-great internet photo, and furthermore state these assumptions as fact.
confused.gif

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by apropos
Man, I really do appreciate you foofing my jacket, but you really do assume a heck of a lot based on a not-great internet photo, and furthermore state these assumptions as fact.
confused.gif

My assumption was that if you move your arms slightly forward the "divots" disappear, as they do for me often. One thing about SF, they only have the photo to work with. The commentary is only as accurate as the representation of the photo, in my case I often set the camera on a table to i get a lot of comments that are biased due to a low camera angle with plenty of lens distortion.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by apropos
confused.gif

That statement you highlighted was a general one and not directed at you. The only inference I made about your jacket specifically was that it looks too tight, not that it is the tightest thing you could squeeze yourself into. Also, if forced to assume--as I often am, since I'm working with photos--it only makes sense to assume something is already as tight as can be rather than loose enough to trim. That way, I ensure that the changes are theoretically possible while demonstrating that slimmer fit is not always the most flattering (or even slimming) one.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That looks really good!

I think the button point would look better even lower, and the quarters slightly more open.

Are those shirt-sleeve shoulders now? They look great.

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That statement you highlighted was a general one and not directed at you. The only inference I made about your jacket specifically was that it looks too tight, not that it is the tightest thing you could squeeze yourself into. Also, if forced to assume--as I often am, since I'm working with photos--it only makes sense to assume something is already as tight as can be rather than loose enough to trim. That way, I ensure that the changes are theoretically possible while demonstrating that slimmer fit is not always the most flattering (or even slimming) one.
Fair enough, but I don't know, maybe I'm looking for some admission of potential fallibility regarding these underlying assumptions.

That said, your increased overlap and slightly more closed quarters will make an appearance on my next jacket - I had wondered why the 'throat' (the v-shaped area) seemed a little larger than normal, and now I think I know why. It is fortunate for me that this jacket will likely never be worn with a tie.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
With more natural shoulders this time:

chrisb0109foofedns.jpg

This is better, but I still think the shoulders are unconvincing. The shoulders make him look like a burly linebacker, but the width of his neck shows he's not. It's the same reason I don't think Black Label works well on skinny guys -- there's this scrawny neck poking up out of a heavily padded shoulder. Were I Foofing, I'd just round the shoulder down.

I guess I don't care for artificial build augmentation in general, unless absolutely necessary. But the lowered button stance is much better.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
This is better, but I still think the shoulders are unconvincing. The shoulders make him look like a burly linebacker, but the width of his neck shows he's not. It's the same reason I don't think Black Label works well on skinny guys
The shoulder is rounded down, you're seeing the effect of a fuller chest. Being that its a stylistic suggestion, and not real life, i think it works. A slightly fuller chest works on this, now the shoulders IRL would probably end up slightly different, but the shirt sleeve/unpadded shoulder works.

chrisb0109

Reaction score
I'm not sure I like the big round shoulders or the wider chest. All in all, the altered image just make me look broader.

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chrisb0109
I'm not sure I like the big round shoulders or the wider chest. All in all, the altered image just make me look broader.

I prefer the pre-foofedâ„¢ image.

Philip1978

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads