• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sartorial mythbusting

jefferyd

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton

Did I leave anything out?

That Jeffery ripped open an old (and thus non representative of the current state of things) suit, was horrified by the make but intrigued and titillated by the cut, and concede that they could possibly make a nice suit.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jefferyd
That Jeffery ripped open an old (and thus non representative of the current state of things) suit, was horrified by the make but intrigued and titillated by the cut, and concede that they could possibly make a nice suit.

I know that A&S (and all their diaspora) make very "long and loose" pad sticthes on the lapels, stitches that appear lazy to any other tailor. Anything else?

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff
Unless this is written tongue and cheek (your tongue, someone else's cheeks) it displays a detachment from reality.
smile.gif

Oh, Bunny...you try so hard sometimes. It's cute.

- B

jefferyd

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by M. Alden

To Matt's excellent point, there is too much Twilight Zone going on here and not enough STYLEforum.

Cheers

M Alden
Co-conspirator
www.dresswithstyle.com

I would add, though, that if your videos, which I am very pleased to see, venture away from matters of style, in which you excel, to matters technical, as they did, it is only fair to expect a rebuttal. That was, after all, the point of this thread.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Oh, Bunny...you try so hard sometimes. It's cute. - B
Thanks. It's not as cute as watching the ignorant congratulate each other on their expertise but thanks all the same.
smile.gif
And speaking of trying too hard, defending the drape style (which I realize doesnt need any defense because it is alternatively the most common and most exclusive of silhouettes
laugh.gif
) by accusing people of "hate" is curious if only because it's unclear what results are expected by this strategy. I remember a few years ago, the same people were swearing up and down that it wasn't true about A&S's sloppy approach to cutting, now the jibber jabber has moved on to "Well let's not dwell on the recent past"

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sator
The very fact that drape attracts as much controversy and emotive discussion is in itself very odd. It's just one period cutting style. Just one. It went out of fashion decades ago, and by all rights should be obscure period costume by now fit for eccentric film noir era retronostalgics who want to look like walking Apparel Arts fashion plates. Nothing wrong with that of course. Yet on the internet suddenly, far from it being a minority interest, people take sides in "drape wars" as though it were black and white, one half vs the other. That in itself suggests that drape is being, in Des Merrion's words, "rammed down people's throats". I think it is because tailors are getting these internet informed potential clients all primed up with this buzz word "drape" all over the world. It is a real phenomenon. It is the power of the internet. It needs to be questioned if only to give a more balanced perspective of things.

Hmm, no. Some of the branded tailors specialize in this cut and they are still popular to this day, nothing to do with the internet.

mmkn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by George
From a stylistic point of view, I don't like drape cuts . . .

. . . I don't like is when a tailor sends a client out of the shop with a poorly tailored suit and that can happen irrespective of whatever 'school' of tailoring the tailor belongs too or believes in.

Well said Fred, I mean, George.

In my eyes Drape works well if one had the absolute perfect posture of a ballroom dancer and move like one, like Fred Astaire. Otherwise, I think most peeps need some structure . . . But then, booty is in the eyes of the beholder.

Your sentences above summarize the discussion well. Where things get "Yoohooo!" is when folks mix the two.

- M

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff
If that's true, then what's the matter with people stating their contrary opinions?
Huh? What I'm saying is that A&S and other drapists do not remain popular because of a few internet clients who duke it out on the forums with the anti-drapist league managed by 1930s reenactment champion Sutor. Oh and people like RJ or your archenemy Manton would still use A&S without the internutz. They know enough, RJ lived and travels to fashion capitals and I'm sure he didn't wait for the internet to discover, say, Charvet and the joy of Hermès accessories... Without the internet I'd still wear fashion labels like, say, Lanvin but probably (certainly) would not have had Julius pieces before they showed in Paris but that's beside the point...

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
Huh? What I'm saying is that A&S and other drapists do not remain popular because of a few internet clients who duke it out on the forums with the anti-drapist league managed by 1930s reenactment champion Sutor.
Right, so if the drape suit is popular, then why are it's most ardent iSupporters running around, obsessively accusing people of hating the look? I daresay that is the truth. Further, I daresay that any popularity that the silhouette enjoys is a matter of misinformation gleaned from old style books. ANd whereas the style might be popular enough to keep a tailor shop or two going, the vast majority of tailors do not make this style and the drape suit has never caught on and been popular with men, mostly because it is a high maintenance item.
Originally Posted by Fuuma
Oh and people like RJ or your archenemy Manton would still use A&S without the internutz. They know enough, RJ lived and travels to fashion capitals and I'm sure he didn't wait for the internet to discover, say, Charvet and the joy of Hermès accessories...
You speak of enemies, does any of this stuff we discuss matter or actually spill over into real life? If anyone takes these discussions seriously or gets angry over them, then I think that's a shame.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sator
Yes, there probably was a time. Fortunately, you can still see that today - in the work of Edwin DeBoise. He is Scholte's true heir. So once again, I will say: let those who are truly worthy of it get the rightful praise they have earned. Whether the drape cut is your taste, that's up to you, just like choosing between a fine Japanese or an Italian restaurant. However, Edwin is at that level where you can forget technical matters and just enjoy debating endlessly about taste.

First wearing of a new DeBoise for your enjoyment.

[click for supersize]

- B

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads