• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Saenek

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DrZRM
I think the screwed soles give you a much sleeker and elegant look, but they are not really less "casual," as there is nothing formal about the lacking welt, they just look better. It's hard to get the screwed soles replaced in the USA (if anyone knows where they can do it, please let me know) so I went ahead and had my bushmans topy'ed. I wear my craftsmans and will wear my incoming stockman buckle boots without protecting them, and will just resole locally when necessary. Too much of a pain to send them back to Australia. The end result is that I'm more likely to grab the bushmans if it is looking wet out. I really like that boot, but I'm looking forward to trying out the stockmans, I may do a MTO buckle boot with screwed sole in the future, but I was too impatient to get them now, especially with their factory holiday/closure coming up.

How long is the factory going to be closed for? I just put in an MTO order for some suede craftsmans. Pair #3 for me, hope I won't be waiting terribly long.

BareSolid

Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can get these in the UK? Preferably a place where I can try them on, and then a place that I can order from online, but principally the latter as I can always use the Royal Mail.

DrZRM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think they are closed annually for a month after X-mas, but I can't say for sure. I know it happened last year when I was waiting for a pair of MTO boots. I figured it happened every year. They told me when I placed my order.

Originally Posted by Saenek
How long is the factory going to be closed for? I just put in an MTO order for some suede craftsmans. Pair #3 for me, hope I won't be waiting terribly long.

Tidybeard

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BareSolid
Does anyone know where I can get these in the UK? Preferably a place where I can try them on, and then a place that I can order from online, but principally the latter as I can always use the Royal Mail.
Apart from the RMW store on Bond Street, Elm of Burford seems to carry about the widest range in the UK (along with lots of other goodies). Not a million miles from Coventry and RMW boots are worth a special trip. http://www.elmofburford.com/index.as...=RM%20Williams It's not really worth ordering online from the UK, Bootsonline in OZ have Craftsman from about £165 but you'll have to pay postage on top of that and may well get stung for import duty too. I own several pairs of RMW (5 at last count) and I have paid retail price or very close for all of them. You never see them discounted by more than 5% or so and they are worth every penny of £200. Good luck!

LTM

Reaction score
Yes they are closed. I was in '5 Percy St' today getting some polish and was told that production for MTO resumes at the end of Jan, the wait after that being 4-6 weeks .
It is the summer holidays here and there are a few public holidays after xmas so quite a few SA factories customarily close for a couple of weeks.
I notice they do a zip up, lace up ankle boot and a derby type shoe these days. The highlight was the bright purple craftsman!

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tidybeard

I own several pairs of RMW (5 at last count) and I have paid retail price or very close for all of them. You never see them discounted by more than 5% or so and they are worth every penny of £200.

this is a pretty good proxy for value - like Aldens in a way, if they never or rarely go on sale, they are truly worth retail, unlike most other goods

Saenek

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LTM
Yes they are closed. I was in '5 Percy St' today getting some polish and was told that production for MTO resumes at the end of Jan, the wait after that being 4-6 weeks .
It is the summer holidays here and there are a few public holidays after xmas so quite a few SA factories customarily close for a couple of weeks.
I notice they do a zip up, lace up ankle boot and a derby type shoe these days. The highlight was the bright purple craftsman!

Boo, I guess I'll be that much more excited with the 2 month + wait then
bounce2.gif

Tez Mulan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tez Mulan
My MTO black Kangaroo Buckle Boots arrived today from bootsonline. they delivered 5 weeks from order after quoting 10 weeks. I already have a pair of RMW Chelsea boots in black, and the Buckle Boots are much duller in the leather, but very very stylish in look/design. The fit of the Chelsea boots feel better, more gripped; but not to say that the Buckle isnt comfortable - because it is. I actually thought that the Chelsea's were Craftsman with chiselled toe. So I was a bit peturbed when I first took the Buckle out of the box, and as a supposedly chiseled toe boot they appeared much rounder in the toe area. It then dawned on me that the Chelsea's I previously bought from RMW store in Bond Street, where in fact Macquaries and not Craftsman. Here's the best bit. The Buckle boots looks better with a suit than the Macquaries.. infact, I'm going to keep the Macquaries just for casual (non suit) wear from now on. Some questions - why do bootsonline call the boot I bought Buckle Boot? I think it's same as RMW Stockman - but maybe Stockman's different. - does anyone know if I can get the Macquarie or the Buckle Boot with less of a lip on the sole area? I live in the Middle East and always spend time brushing sand out of the sole ridges.
One month on with the Buckle Boot..., I cant believe how worn it looks when it's not polished up. It really looks like a pair of boots that I might have had for a year! I think it must be the kangaroo leather that firstly makes it more DULL than the Macquaries I have.., and the thing that makes it look OLDER is the fact that it creases up an awful lot. Not to say that I'm unhappy with the items - I really like them. But I'm re-thinking my wardrobe. at present: - 1. Black Macquaries - I've said for casual 2. Black Buckle Boot - I've said for formal / suits but I'm going to switch these around, and start wearing the Macs with formal (as they polish up nicely) and the Buckle with jeans. The only slight issue I have with this is I do think the chisel toe of the Buckle is better suited to formal, than the pointed toe of the Macs. the solution here has to be to buy a 3rd pair of black which would be Craftsman in veal, with the screwed sole to make them ultra dressy..., but this isnt urgent. other thing is black boots are much too dark with lighter blue denim jeans. I have never worn brown shoes ever in my life, and I think if I started - I would need to buy brown jackets, sweaters and accesories. Everything in my wardrobe, is black, white, gray, blue and some red. So, having seen the claret boots pictured here, I've today ordered claret Craftsman with the screwed sole from bootsonline. The new inventory will then be 1. Black Macquaries - day to day office 2. Black Buckle Boot - for casual wear 3. Claret Craftsman / screwed sole - for smart AND casual AND where black doesnt work **on order** 4. Black Craftsman Veal / screwed sole- for ultra dressy **not yet ordered** If I had to do a number 5, I would have to consider Chestnut Buckle in Kangaroo, as I've read on here that this a very rich brown, and much nicer looking than the yearling leather. But I'm going to park this idea for a few months as the missus would go nuts!

Sixth_Sense

Reaction score
Tez,

I think you helped me with information Macquaries a couple weeks ago. Just wanted to touch base again.

I'm purchasing from bootsonline a pair of chestnut Macquaries. I'm trying to go for a sleek, moden polished look and from what I've been told the Macs are the way to go.

Just wanted to confirm that this is fairly accurate. Will likely be wearing them with slim jeans ad the occassional business casual (think: Dress shirt, polo sweater, and dress pants).

Thanks again.

Tez Mulan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sixth_Sense
Tez,

I think you helped me with information Macquaries a couple weeks ago. Just wanted to touch base again.

I'm purchasing from bootsonline a pair of chestnut Macquaries. I'm trying to go for a sleek, moden polished look and from what I've been told the Macs are the way to go.

Just wanted to confirm that this is fairly accurate. Will likely be wearing them with slim jeans ad the occassional business casual (think: Dress shirt, polo sweater, and dress pants).

Thanks again.

Good shout!

DrZRM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've said it before. Don't forget the Bushman:

b500fbl400.gif

B500FBLTop1000.jpg

The screwed sole is much sleeker than the stitched welt.

Tez,

Thanks again.

Tez Mulan

Reaction score
Could you elaborate DRZRM on screwed v. stitch? The one thing I like about the Macquarie that makes me think it gives a sleek, modern look is the the narrower toe v. the Craftsman.
it's true

Sixth_Sense

Reaction score
Quick question for you all:

My 1st pair of Macquaries will be chestnut, but I'm thinking about the 2nd pair I will purchase in a couple months for rotating purposes.

I'm not a fan of black shoes for casual outings, so my only remaining option appears to be whiskey.

My only concern is that it appears almost orange.

What are your thoughts on whiskey? How versatile is the color?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads