• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Speakeasies in NYC

jon bones

Reaction score
I enjoy the Benton's Old Fashioned at PDT quite a bit - and drank enough of them as I use it as a date place often enough. I'd like to frequent more but Woodson & Ford has since been shut down and I'm not sure about the protocol to get into M&H.

I would greatly appreciate it if anyone could point me in the direction of new places to check out, or PM'ing me details to M&H if possible. I have a date with an old friend whom I haven't seen in many years and would love to take her out to one of these places, even if it is a bit novel.

Thanks in advance for any help!

-Jon

samblau

Reaction score
The speakeasy craze is dying down a bit, and in some cases, for good reason. The drinks are up in price, $20 at M&H, and often times lacking in quality. That said...if you are in Brooklyn, Smith St. offers a lot. Both Clover Club and Brooklyn Social (and there new place, Henry Public, on Henry) are very good, with Clover Club being more ideal for the lady folk IMO. If Brooklyn scares her, Ward III on Reade Street in Tribeca is very nice, $12 per drink with some innovative ones. Flatiron lounge is great if you will be closer to midtown..but it can get crowded later in the week. Pegu Club on Houston is the classic as far as new wave cocktail places in NYC go. I work downtown...wish I had an excuse (and the $$$) to go more often!

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For my money (and taste) the quality of the cocktail at Death is the best in the City. But the experience for a date might not be that amazing. Pegu is gorgeous inside, but the drinks leave me flat -- limited to no 'pop.' Why not Angel's Share? Haven't been in quite some time. Would be my choice after PDT for a date, not counting Milk, where I haven't bothered as of yet.

~ H

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yawn, a played out concept most cherished by those that prefer style over substance. I guess this would be the forum for it, though.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
Yawn, a played out concept most cherished by those that prefer style over substance. I guess this would be the forum for it, though.
I like cocktails. A lot. They are one of my primary hobbies, in fact. The speakeasy shtick may be a little too...theatrical for me, but it does have two still-valuable aspects: 1) You can get a decent drink. Do you have any idea how many 'decent' bars that are not into the 'scene' cannot make a half-decent Manhattan? It is not hard! This shocks me. 2) Places like PDT never feel crowded. I do not do crowded. I do not do music so loud that I cannot hear my companion. So the less people who, within boundaries, go the happier I am. ~ H

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No love for Employees Only? It's been a while since I was there but it was a good place at 1AM on a Wednesday.

Other good places from my youth - the bar at Alta on 10th Street and the Sidecar above PJ Clarkes on 55th and 3rd.

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Death & Co. has the best cocktails in the City. It might be a little "dark" for a date though.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
I like cocktails. A lot. They are one of my primary hobbies, in fact. The speakeasy shtick may be a little too...theatrical for me, but it does have two still-valuable aspects:

1) You can get a decent drink. Do you have any idea how many 'decent' bars that are not into the 'scene' cannot make a half-decent Manhattan? It is not hard! This shocks me.

2) Places like PDT never feel crowded. I do not do crowded. I do not do music so loud that I cannot hear my companion.

So the less people who, within boundaries, go the happier I am.

~ H

Fair enough, just not worth the ridiculous mark-up (on top of the already ridiculous mark-up on alcohol). It just screams try-hard to me, much like waiting in line at clubs in Meatpacking. That said, I wouldn't know about decent drinks as I keep with the basics when I go out (mostly beer).

jon bones

Reaction score
thank you all for the help!

i went to angel's share last night with a buddy of mine - we'll be sure to hit up more suggestions over the next couple weeks

i had a whisky cocktail first and i was not a fan... too much ginger and spices, not enough bite

i followed it up with a bowmore 12 year on the rocks - i don't see it often at the bars i frequent so it was a very pleasant surprise. delicious and earthy with just enough peatiness.

then washed it down with a maker's and split to a party. seemed like a great date place, will be sure to revisit after i check out more places.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
Fair enough, just not worth the ridiculous mark-up (on top of the already ridiculous mark-up on alcohol). It just screams try-hard to me, much like waiting in line at clubs in Meatpacking. That said, I wouldn't know about decent drinks as I keep with the basics when I go out (mostly beer).
I'm not near enough to NYC or there often enough to know what 'regular' bars charge, but in the nearest capital city to me, your average 'nice' bar is running $13-15 for a Maker's Manhattan that is an absolute abortion, while the 'speakeasy' type bars are running $14-16. I'm down with the extra buck or two to have a huge leap in my enjoyment of the evening. De gustibus. Beer, unless it's a Belgian really doesn't do it for me. Honestly it's simpler and better to keep to the basics most places because the drinks are crap. You have to realize I'm a bit of a country boy. First time I was in MePa, I walked past the Gansevoort and saw the incredible line to get up to Plunge, and I thought, some day I will try this. There must be something incredible that everyone is waiting for. So I did. But I'm not a line guy, so next time I was in the City I stayed at the Gansevoort, and up I went. What a waste. Spent like 10 minutes there, left and went to PDT. Had a great night. ~ H
Originally Posted by jon bones
thank you all for the help! i went to angel's share last night with a buddy of mine - we'll be sure to hit up more suggestions over the next couple weeks i had a whisky cocktail first and i was not a fan... too much ginger and spices, not enough bite i followed it up with a bowmore 12 year on the rocks - i don't see it often at the bars i frequent so it was a very pleasant surprise. delicious and earthy with just enough peatiness. then washed it down with a maker's and split to a party. seemed like a great date place, will be sure to revisit after i check out more places.
If you are a fan of spirits/scotch: Brandy Library.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 97 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads