• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Speakeasies in NYC

feynmix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Star
What is speakeasy and PDT for the ignorant?
Speakeasy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speakeasy PDT: Please Don't Tell. A speakeasy establishment in the east village. I haven't been to any of these establishments, but plan on checking one of them out, just to see what its all about.

fredfred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
PDT stands for Please Don't Tell. It's a bar in Manhattan. As for what is a speakeasy, take an American History class.

Jas0n

Reaction score
little branch ... try the east side they make. employees only is great as well, but I'm not a fan of the absinthe they include in some of their house drinks.

samblau

Reaction score
FYI if you are looking for the dark, hard to find atmosphere and want to hang out in the NYU 'hood and drink beer try 124 Old Rabbit Club...right on Macdougal across from Mahmouns and next to the other falafel shop. There is no sign, just a black basement door, a bit $$$ and cash only but excellent beer, mostly bottles, but they have some hard to find stuff.

v0rtex

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
Fair enough, just not worth the ridiculous mark-up (on top of the already ridiculous mark-up on alcohol). It just screams try-hard to me, much like waiting in line at clubs in Meatpacking. That said, I wouldn't know about decent drinks as I keep with the basics when I go out (mostly beer).

Regarding markups - a Bud Light or well vodka is marked up from well under a buck to $3 in a dive, $5 in an average bar and $8+ in a club.

Paying $15 for an expertly mixed drink with top shelf liquor, freshly squeezed juice, etc in nice uncrowded surroundings isn't bad value in comparison.

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by v0rtex
Regarding markups - a Bud Light or well vodka is marked up from well under a buck to $3 in a dive, $5 in an average bar and $8+ in a club. Paying $15 for an expertly mixed drink with top shelf liquor, freshly squeezed juice, etc in nice uncrowded surroundings isn't bad value in comparison.
if you want to get loaded, a martini (a real martini) is often the best deal in the house, all things considered. sometimes, just price/booze considered

jon bones

Reaction score
death & co was a nice little place, had a decent scotch selection... didn't try any of the cocktails

les toy co was amazing on a weeknight. dark, warm, jazzy and a REALLY well made manhattan w/ makers. on a weekend it was a god damned clusterfuck. packed with douches, loud music and garbage drink.

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jon bones
death & co was a nice little place, had a decent scotch selection... didn't try any of the cocktails

Don't let Hunts find out about this.
laugh.gif

hboogz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dutch Kills in LIC (Queens) isn't bad if you're into speakeasies. Try the talon scout, it's refreshing as ****. The old fashioned's are good, but my breadth of knowledge is admidtedly limited.

culturalmulatto

Reaction score
Weather Up in Prospect Heights, Brooklyn is my local favorite. A speakeasy done right.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Star
What is speakeasy and PDT for the ignorant?

I Googled around and figured out that they're a NYC word for a bar that serves cocktails. Bar marketing shitheads using a word that they shouldn't be using since it doesn't describe the thing. Better might be "cocktail lounge."

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ama
Don't let Hunts find out about this.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by jon bones
death & co was a nice little place, had a decent scotch selection... didn't try any of the cocktails les toy co was amazing on a weeknight. dark, warm, jazzy and a REALLY well made manhattan w/ makers. on a weekend it was a god damned clusterfuck. packed with douches, loud music and garbage drink.
OMG. WTF are you doing? If you want whisky, go to BL and rock out some PE. DO NOT go to a cocktail bar to drink scotch. This is so wrong. I'm trying to teach you here, man, I'm trying to reach you.

acl1

Reaction score
Clover Club and Henry Public in Brooklyn; I think Brooklyn has proportionally the most speakeasies, although I can't say for sure.

ssnyc

Reaction score
Mayahuel (All Tequila and Mezcal)

ApothÃ
00a9.png
ke

For M&H you must call and make an "appointment" in advance.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads