• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

arrow

Reaction score
^^ You're not alone...
frown.gif

It also happens to my Indy 405 (left boot). Its an issue that some people have seen with Aldens... I had a cobbler stitch a strip of leather on the tongue so I can thread the laces through and prevent slipping. I don't have this issue with my Red Wing GTs and Chukka.

CharlieAngel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have that same problem with various brands of shoe, I don't think it's manufacturer specific. I imagine it's the leather getting worked up, kinda like the twist on denim? I find I rarely notice it (i.e. I can't feel it), but it does bug me when I see it, so I pull it back. If it bugged me that much, I'd do as arrow says and get a strip installed.

And goddamn, those are some nifty boots. <runs to google and online banking>

Doctor

Reaction score
They actually look a little too big to me? The creasing is a bit excessive and the laces are very tight. Question1: Alden do not list the Barrie last on their website (http://www.aldenshoe.com/cat_ortho.htm). Is it the same as the CDI or something else altogether? Question2: [probably asked three-hundred-and-thirty-twelve times] How does the Barrie fit? I am a 14E on what TheShoeMart calls the "Harrington Last" - I think it's the same as the Modified Last on Alden's website above.

Arizor

Reaction score
Common problem Framus. I have it on a few different boths, most annoyingly my Converse hi-tops do it and *really* twist so my socks are exposed all the way down the foot, very annoying.

Luckily I don't even notice it on my Alden cordovans, it's a slight twist like yours but I can't feel it or see it with my jeans on.

My Indys on the other hand have no such problems. Go figure.

framus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Doctor
They actually look a little too big to me? The creasing is a bit excessive and the laces are very tight.
They do fit well size 10D, my foot size is 10.5D. Yes the laces are tight, I guess I like tight fitted shoes, that's probably causing the twisting.
Question1: Alden do not list the Barrie last on their website (http://www.aldenshoe.com/cat_ortho.htm). Is it the same as the CDI or something else altogether?
Question2: [probably asked three-hundred-and-thirty-twelve times] How does the Barrie fit? I am a 14E on what TheShoeMart calls the "Harrington Last" - I think it's the same as the Modified Last on Alden's website above.
These boots are Trubalance Last, (U.S. size 10 = Trubalance size 9 1/2). In my case size 10 for my 10.5D foot.

bermannyc

Reaction score
Aldens are pretty big (at least the indys) I wear a 9.5 sneaker and in a Ralph Lauren Cordovan shoe I wear a 8 but in Alden I wea a 7.5.

icanfly012

Reaction score
If I wear a 42 in Common Projects, what size would I be in their &quot;dress-casual&quot; shoes? I am an 8 in Grenson but a 9.5 in Ferragamo so sizing is all over the place for dressier shoes.

LeatherSOUL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@framus: They look too big for you. You can get a cobbler to stitch one side of the tongue to the shoe so it doesn't move.

Question1: Alden do not list the Barrie last on their website (http://www.aldenshoe.com/cat_ortho.htm). Is it the same as the CDI or something else altogether?

Question2: [probably asked three-hundred-and-thirty-twelve times] How does the Barrie fit? I am a 14E on what TheShoeMart calls the "Harrington Last" - I think it's the same as the Modified Last on Alden's website above.

1) The Barrie is not part of their orthopedic line.

2) I have never heard of the "Harrington" last. Weird. Barrie fits about 1/2 size larger than standard US dress shoe sizing. Most people take about the same size on the Barrie as the Modified.

Westbound

Reaction score
Was wondering what measures you guys take to help preserve the leather on the Indy's - Kudu, in particular? Heard something about Nikiwax, to protect them from water damage. Heard a ton about Lexol, but it wasn't in reference to the Indy's. I've used Sno Seal on my other boots before and just read about Obenauf a few pages back, but don't know which of the four would be good/bad to use and I'm also not sure if whatever I choose is pretty much the only "care" they would need?

Any help with this would be appreciated. Ran a few searches, and just finished reading the thread (took a few days), but there doesn't seem to be a whole lotta talk about Indy care.

framus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DLester
framus use some damn shoe trees mang

Thanks, I do use shoe trees religiously. My toes almost touch the front of the boot so I don't think they're too big, but I since I work near the DC Alden store I'll drop by and ask their opinion as I'm looking to add the color 8 wing-tip boot in the near future.

scb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have the same problem with my kudu Indy's. left tongue wants to pull left at all times. I can't ever get it to stay in the middle for more than a few minutes

velomane

Reaction score
Originally Posted by framus
My toes almost touch the front of the boot so I don't think they're too big, but I since I work near the DC Alden store I'll drop by and ask their opinion as I'm looking to add the color 8 wing-tip boot in the near future.

Let us know what they say. Most of my footwear tie up the same way as yours and yet they fit lengthwise. Anyone else have feet like this? I'd appreciate any feedback.

dunkin

Reaction score
framus, nice looking shoe but jeez, i nkow u said you like to tie them tight but you are going to cut off the circulation to your feet?
rimshot.gif

WatchGuy

Reaction score
Hey Alden Fans,

I am considering picking up a pair of black indy boots and would like your input. I had been set on getting a pair of shell cordovan versions from Alden of Carmel, but these new ones from Epaulet look very interesting. These would be the only pair of black boots/shoes that I will wear casually. They will pretty much mostly be worn with jeans + oxfords. I worry that the shell cordovans are a bit dressy, but over time as they wear in maybe that would be less of an issue(?). I really like my cigar cordovan versions and was not as impressed with the Context Tankers' leather, so I am a little weary of the Epaulet versions. But, I'm not sure if it's the same.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

blackindycompare.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads