• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Redhead Thread

lowkeyberserk

Reaction score
actually, for the record, i went into a bar wearing a zelda shirt, *sang karaoke*, and sipped appletinis

actually i didnt 'sip' the tinis, i massacred the tinis...

and it was awesome, great night

greatwork

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lowkeyberserk
actually, for the record, i went into a bar wearing a zelda shirt, *sang karaoke*, and sipped appletinis actually i didnt 'sip' the tinis, i massacred the tinis... and it was awesome, great night
can you recall a song or did the ***** drinks do you in? (disclaimer: i kid.) also - you're right, it is like impossible to find a guide for a solution to your dilemma. . . . . but - take your last post for example (the one quoted above) you laugh and shrug off the blows about the drinks and the shirt. you had an awesome night that's what matters, right? do the same thing in regards to the hair. **** hair, it's not worth obsessing over. wear some nice, fashionable clothes that you feel as comfortable in as your game boy tee. i look in the WAYWT threads for ideas on new clothes, and it's helped a lot since i recently joined this forum. don't use your hair as a scapegoat.

sbbbjm

Reaction score
from the looks of these redheads via the sartorialist, it might not be as hard to work with red as everyone thinks. i think you guys actually get a one up on us sometimes when you do consider the stuff that does work for you like deeper, richer colors bc it creates such an awesome contrast. it's like your hair color is just as much an accessory as in completing an entire ensemble. that being said, i like the shape of your BCG's, but i think you should go for a lighter color. i have a redead friend and a couple very light complected blonde friends and they have 'nerd glasses' but they've adjusted the frame color accordingly. the two blondes have clear vintage plastic frames and a lighter 'blonde tortoise' colored frames, and my redhead friend has clear frames also. i think they manage to pull off that vintage/quirky feel without completely covering their face up like darker frames do - enhance rather than hide.
hmrweb.jpg
redpurp.jpg
armanired.jpg
medzeligblondeclear4243.jpg

DLester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tck13- funny, I would mostly say the opposite regarding his colors. For example he already posted pics of himself in yellow greens and that color looks bad. And mustard and orange reds? Yikes, avoid at all costs. Khaki/beige shirts would wash him out. This list seems to be based on classifying him as a "fall" which some of redheads may be. But just imagine him in mustardy yellow. Not good. I agree you should grow your hair out a bit. Work the red . . .
Originally Posted by Tck13
I'm not sure why you avoid khaki and orange. Both colors would look good on you (I believe). Judging by what you've said so far, here are my rec's for colors: Warm, rich, spicy, golden undertones, earth tones Yes: Oyster white warm beige's gold toned beige's, including camel most browns most tans marine navy teal periwinkle blues turquoise any oranges, rust, peach, apricot salmon orange reds tomato red golds, mustard yellow gold NO: burgandy purple no black no gray And buy this $.99 book for a reference: Color For Men (which is where most of my rec's come from) and this book: Dressing The Man I also think that your hair looks much better where it's longer and curly. You have an oblong face and the longer and thicker hair on the top and sides looks better to me. You look better in thicker / heavier glasses with rounded sides like the one's you have in your original pics.

DLester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sbbbjm
from the looks of these redheads via the sartorialist, it might not be as hard to work with red as everyone thinks. i think you guys actually get a one up on us sometimes when you do consider the stuff that does work for you like deeper, richer colors bc it creates such an awesome contrast. it's like your hair color is just as much an accessory as in completing an entire ensemble.

Agreed. It is almost as if some redheads should go with winter colors because of their high skin/hair contrast.

canstyleace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ I agree to disagree with tck13's advice, dark colors (black, navy, charcoal, chocolate brown, olive green, etc) are good for you, stay away from light colors though, maybe just light blues and greys but thats it.

Also the glasses work with some looks but get the frame in a grey or other darker color, that one almost looks red on your face, and more red is not good,,,, btw- the facial hair is not bad either, just keep it trim.

XenoX101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wear a red tshirt, pants & shoes and you can be the human torch from the fantastic four.

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DLester
Tck13- funny, I would mostly say the opposite regarding his colors.

I'm not sure what you mean by "opposite"?

Originally Posted by DLester
For example he already posted pics of himself in yellow greens and that color looks bad. And mustard and orange reds? Yikes, avoid at all costs. Khaki/beige shirts would wash him out.

This list seems to be based on classifying him as a "fall" which some of redheads may be. But just imagine him in mustardy yellow. Not good.

I have a couple of doubts about the colors I mentioned but he doesn't really fit anywhere else when I read what he states. He doesn't tan and he only burns, he's a true red head and he states that he has a reddish or pinkish complexion. That really only fits an Autumn. However, if he's incorrect about his complexion and it's more peach then he may be a Spring. It might come down to him actually holding up the colors to his face in some natural light.

If he is a spring then this would be the colors he would be wearing:

Warm, yellow undertones, clear, light to bright

Yes:

Ivory
light warm beige
camel
light to medium yellow grays
chocolate brown
golden browns/tans
light navy
bright navy
light teal
periwinkle blue
light blue
aquas
turquoise
medium violet
yellow greens
pastels
light rust
light orange
salmon
peach
coral
warm pastel pink
coral pink
clear salmon
orange reds
clear bright red
light clear gold
bright golden yellow

No:

black
burgundy

lowkeyberserk

Reaction score
lol xeno, maybe i should dye the tips yellow or something to make it fire (i kid)

sbbbjm

Reaction score
wait - yes to purple

. . . and these were the sartorialist pics that never uploaded:

rjacobs

Reaction score
OP - you're lucky enough to need glasses, this solves your problem for you. But the frames you choose are really important. Get glasses that will contrast your hair. I like the shape of the ones in the first pic you posted, but I hate the color because it washes out both your face and hair. You need a bold color, or if you insist on a neutral then stay away from the earth tones and go with a near-black. You have a big face that's kind of tailor made for some thick acetate frames.

I have red hair too. I shave it off. But I am blessed with a shapely dome so that might not work for you.

gdc_2008

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sbbbjm
wait - yes to purple . . . and these were the sartorialist pics that never uploaded:
Problem solved...you obviously need a horse head tattoo on your forearm....and don't forget the lattes

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads