• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your reasoning behind raw denim purchases.

zzzzzard

Reaction score
Though I notice a lot of talk about raw denim, there's very little discussion here about why we purchase it. Your average person balks at paying hundreds of dollars for jeans - it does seem a little absurd when you look at it from an uneducated perspective. But when you're about to drop $150 on a pair, what prevents you from saving that money and grabbing a pair of washed Levis instead?

I was looking over a pair of Petite Standards and some Thin Finns, and I realized that I was about to spend $300 on two pairs of jeans. I justified this to myself originally by saying that the cuts would look great on me (I'm very skinny) and in a year I'd have some awesome fading. At the same time, I realized that the jeans I'm currently wearing (flimsy mall jeans) also fit me perfectly and have a decent wash to them as well. They cost me $30. I am peasant status and can't really afford nice things, so these denim purchases would use up a lot of the money I have at the moment.

So when you're at the checkout counter, online or otherwise, what do you tell yourself before you click "buy"?

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
you're like 2 years, 200 threads, and 2 trillion posts late

this is some serious
facepalm.gif

raw denim for the fades. **** looks cool. instead of mass produced fades that don't fit your body, you get your own customized fades that represent you lifestyle (eg what you do in them, what kinds of things you carry in your pockets)

raw selvedge denim can be had for I think $60 (uniqlo, gap), maybe $100 for slightly used APCs.

i think you need to head over to superfuture. go to supertrash. click on bookmarks thread (1st thread of forum). click on holy grail something ryu something denim. also check out superdenim encyclopiedia

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
if you're wearing iron hearts: because your ex can kick you in the crotch and you won't feel a thing

c00kz

Reaction score
Stare at your adequate mall jeans and in a few weeks they'll turn into something disgusting. Happened to me.

zzzzzard

Reaction score
Originally Posted by c00kz
Stare at your adequate mall jeans and in a few weeks they'll turn into something disgusting. Happened to me.

It's already happening, which is why I'm spending all my money.

Listi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Because you can have a year of enjoyment out of $200 and going to a movie costs $10.

zzzzzard

Reaction score
Yeah. I'm getting the Thin Finn Ecru Embo in a 27 and the PS in 26. (My true waist is a 28).

My legs are very skinny. Thin Finns in 28 look somewhat baggy on me.

Pangolin

Reaction score
I don't need a reason.

You can try to justify your purchases behind any sort of fallacious arguments (cut, quality, hype...), but in the end, if you don't feel comfortable spending that much on jeans, nothing is forcing you to do so.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Because dark indigo looks better than light indigo. Raw denim tends to be higher quality, too. Really though, being high quality and fitting well are why we buy expensive jeans, not buy raw jeans.

Liquidus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've read posts here for a while and I have to say I am still confused about raw denim. Having high quality and nice fitting I agree with, but is "customized fading" that big a deal? Can any non-SF person tell the difference between raw jeans fading and pre-faded jeans?

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
I wear raw denim because it's expensive and it makes me feel better than other people when I wear expensive clothes

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
This sounds like a thesis topic for a consumer anthropology student.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads