Your reasoning behind raw denim purchases.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by zzzzzard, Jan 4, 2010.

1. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

I've read posts here for a while and I have to say I am still confused about raw denim. Having high quality and nice fitting I agree with, but is "customized fading" that big a deal? Can any non-SF person tell the difference between raw jeans fading and pre-faded jeans?

generally the fades don't match up and they look too clean? like there's no gradient. and the rubbed off parts generally look too symmetrical

I wear raw denim because it's expensive and it makes me feel better than other people when I wear expensive clothes

this

2. Scoobersti

Scoobersti Senior member

The reason that I, personally like to purchase denim in a raw state is because I enjoy giving it its first soak/wash and then wearing them and watch them evolve and get beat up through my daily wear.

3. CharlieAngel

CharlieAngel Senior member

I'm not a raw denim "junkie", but I do wear it.
    1) I love the break in process. Call me a sadist, I suppose. I love that crisp, tight, hard feel of new raw denim. I love to watch how they evolve. And once they've fully broken in, they're *my* jeans, not what some kid with some sandpaper and a dremel tool thought they should be.
    2) Quality/longevity. I'm sure there's some shitty quality raw denim out there, but my RRLs are now a year old. They've got a couple of wear spots in the wallet pocket (that does irritate me, btw), but everything else is solid. The last 3 pairs of Levis 514s, whose cut and price I love, started ripping up at the knees after 6 months of sedentary office use. That's what drove me to find something a little more durable and is how I found this site, from googling. [​IMG]

If Levis sold the 514 in a decent weight raw denim for $50, would I buy it? In a heartbeat. It's as if they realized that selling heavy, raw denim was costing them money, which I suppose in a way it does. If you can sell pre-washed, acid/abraded jeans for $35 that wear out in 5-7 months, you've got someone coming back every 5-7 months to buy new jeans.

I may try a pair of STFs this year, though, because, like the OP, I just can't truly justify $200 jeans all the time. If I can get similar wear as my RRLs, I'll have saved $150 for hookers and blow.

4. King Leer

King Leer Senior member

Some reasons I've bought raw denim:

They last a hell of a long time
    They don't wear out in all the wrong places
    They need constant wear, NOT constant care

5. wahwho11

wahwho11 Senior member

because i don't want to be a pleb

6. brad-t

brad-t Bae Blade

7. underwearer

underwearer Senior member

I wear it because the internets told me to.

8. Spicemeister

Spicemeister Member

Gives me a reason to wash them only once a year.

9. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

raw denim isn't the only denim that is expensive

This ^. There is also inexpensive raw denim.

10. hamish5178

hamish5178 Senior member

I have gotten many comments/questions on the way my 1 year old New Standards look, from "normal" people.

People can tell the difference.

11. airportlobby

airportlobby Senior member

Trying to justify buying things you don't need and can't afford only leads to bad debt.

On the other hand, wasting money is fun.

12. nohomo

nohomo Senior member

I've read posts here for a while and I have to say I am still confused about raw denim. Having high quality and nice fitting I agree with, but is "customized fading" that big a deal? Can any non-SF person tell the difference between raw jeans fading and pre-faded jeans?

Yes they can tell... Maybe not from just seeing an isolated person with misfitting jeans with pre-distressing, but put that and someone that put in time on raw jeans to get them faded and creased in the right places and anyone with two eyes can notice the difference.

That said, I don't like raw jeans either. Too stiff and indigo gets on my car seat, light colored clothes, and shoes. I guess I'm just not patient enough.

13. Wupper

Wupper Senior member

Some reasons I've bought raw denim:

They last a hell of a long time
    They don't wear out in all the wrong places
    They need constant wear, NOT constant care

That's funny.

I wore my Slim Jims a little over 6 months when I noticed the first small crotch rip. I repaired it and after another 7 months with 2 washes in total the pants are more or less ruined cause the crotch falls apart.

I have a couple of Levis jeans which seems to last forever and I even bought a nice pair of raw denim at ZARA for 30 €uros a year ago that look pretty much like Slim Jim's and hold up pretty good. They fade beautifully, fit great, no crotch issues or whatever and they just look great.

14. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Boxercise Toughguy

I like raw denim because I feel that it wears harder, is rarer, and becomes "my own" after a while. My measly pair of GAP 1969 Authentics put just about every other pair of jeans I've ever owned to shame. And that's just a $100 pair of GAP jeans.

15. spacemanvt

spacemanvt Senior member

I wear raw denim because it's expensive and it makes me feel better than other people when I wear expensive clothes

+10000x [​IMG]