• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Clothes to wear to work- Dos and Don'ts!

Glados1984

Reaction score
Originally Posted by luftvier
^ Incorrect.

I would argue this point further, but you are apparently above such simple thing as logic, truth, and evidence.

^ Incorrect.

You cant argue it further becaues you got nothing.

you seriously think that something is in fashion simply because its current season?

Bracers are for try hard Gordon Gecko wannabes. Prehaps there are some industries where they can be worn or on a trading floor, but if someone turned up to my office in them they'd be laughed at.

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My advice is not to take anyone's advice too seriously until you actually see what people look like in that workplace. Once you know the "norm", this forum can help you fit in and eventually stand out.

It would be a shame if you went out and filled your closest with blazers and loafers only to find out that everyone wore suits and cap-toes.

Workplaces are so diverse and different these days that so many reject the idea of a strict dress code and embrace a free-market approach-- let the market determine what will be worn. If everyone shows up in slacks and button-downs, that is the dress-code.

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Glados1984
^ Incorrect. You cant argue it further becaues you got nothing. you seriously think that something is in fashion simply because its current season? Bracers are for try hard Gordon Gecko wannabes. Prehaps there are some industries where they can be worn or on a trading floor, but if someone turned up to my office in them they'd be laughed at.
Braces are practical and stylish, if not fashionable. There exists no other way for a pant to truly hang properly. Belts and sidetabs are great, but braces almost always look better. Moreover, if anyone showed up at your office with braces, they'd have to be a cad for you to see them. If they are worn, you'd never know the dammed difference. But you know this already of course. Why don't you continue to share your wealth of knowledge? Edit: fixed typo.

Glados1984

Reaction score
Braces are practical and stylish, if not fashionable.

There exists no other way for a pant to truly hang properly. Belts and sidetabs are great, but braces almost always look better.

Moreover, if anyone showed up at your office with braces, they'd have top be a cad for you to see them. If they are worn, you'd never know the dammed difference.

But you know this already of course. Why don't you continue to share your wealth of knowledge?

you'd see them when their jacket was removed and then you'd laugh at them with the rest of the office.

like pocket-squares, braces in a modern office are just a poor attempt to look quirky and better dressed then your co-workers, but you'll just end up looking dated. i'm sure there's probably the one in a hundred that could pull it off without looking like a marsupial, but for advice for the OP, stay the hell away from them, unless you end up working at the marsupial factory and everyone is wearing them.

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you'd see them when their jacket was removed and then you'd laugh at them with the rest of the office.

like pocket-squares, braces in a modern office are just a poor attempt to look quirky and better dressed then your co-workers, but you'll just end up looking dated. i'm sure there's probably the one in a hundred that could pull it off without looking like a marsupial, but for advice for the OP, stay the hell away from them, unless you end up working at the marsupial factory and everyone is wearing them.

You continue to spout gems of wisdom.

Please continue.

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No i rebutted your reply to my post, my work is done here.
Another gem. Thank you for your continued brilliance. Have you met my friend bowtielover?

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blackbowtie
Really?

And wearing a shirt untucked to the office/interview when you have no belt on is an option?

I'm not saying it's an opyion but I have had a few guys come into work with their shirts tucked in and no belt so i'm saying always make sure you have a belt on.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^ Incorrect.

You cant argue it further becaues you got nothing.

you seriously think that something is in fashion simply because its current season?

Bracers are for try hard Gordon Gecko wannabes. Prehaps there are some industries where they can be worn or on a trading floor, but if someone turned up to my office in them they'd be laughed at.

How many industries have trading floors where you can wear braces?

You're really reaching to make a nothing point. The argument was about belts, and there are other ways to keep your pants up other then a belt.

I wear pants with side tabs on my suits and to be honest i dont think anyone has even noticed. They arent very conspicuous.

Braces, who really notices them unless you leave your jacket off, If i wear them i keep my jacket on, and i actually like wearing them with a suit, its a cleaner look and i dont need to adjust my pants as much.

I'm not sure what work you do at 'your office', but I'm surprised that you would even bother laughing at someone wearing braces with a suit.

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another gem. Thank you for your continued brilliance.

Have you met my friend bowtielover?

Originally Posted by bowtielover
I'm not saying it's an opyion but I have had a few guys come into work with their shirts tucked in and no belt so i'm saying always make sure you have a belt on.

I could not have prayed for better timing.

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
How many industries have trading floors where you can wear braces?

You're really reaching to make a nothing point. The argument was about belts, and there are other ways to keep your pants up other then a belt.

I wear pants with side tabs on my suits and to be honest i dont think anyone has even noticed. They arent very conspicuous.

Braces, who really notices them unless you leave your jacket off, If i wear them i keep my jacket on, and i actually like wearing them with a suit, its a cleaner look and i dont need to adjust my pants as much.

I'm not sure what work you do at 'your office', but I'm surprised that you would even bother laughing at someone wearing braces with a suit.

^This.

I am not one to remove a jacket generally, but especially if wearing braces.

jcriswel

Reaction score
Moreover, if anyone showed up at your office with braces, they'd have top be a cad for you to see them. If they are worn, you'd never know the dammed difference.
I'm interested in what you're saying here. The only problem is I can't understand your sentences. Are you saying men with braces typically leave their jackets on so consequently one does not see their braces?

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jcriswel
I'm interested in what you're saying here. The only problem is I can't understand your sentences. Are you saying men with braces typically leave their jackets on so consequently one does not see their braces?
Added an extra "P". Poor typography; par for the course for me. Should read, ". . . they'd have to be a cad. . ." I overstate the point, but I am of the opinion that your jacket should stay on throughout the day. Thus, one would only see if another was wearing braces if he removed his jacket. You understood precisely the point I initially articulated so poorly. Unlike others:

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jcriswel

apparently you could understand.

Well done.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
Let me lend my support to LV and SG, who are merely stating the obvious.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads