1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Clothes to wear to work- Dos and Don'ts!

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by leonuk, Dec 26, 2009.

1. leonuk

leonuk Active Member

Thanks all, This is really helpful- sometimes I think it can be difficult to work out what to wear if you have not had much experience before. I've been at the firm for about a year and a half now wearing slim navy suits, which is slightly more formal than the open shirts worn by most (unless a client meeting) but I like it. However, I have to admit I've been a bit lazy recently. It is true that my workmate rocks purple and black label, he is a hardcore Styleforum junkie as well- I'm sure he will chime in sometime[​IMG] Pocket Squares for all!

2. leonuk

leonuk Active Member

I agree that fashion sense in Europe is completely different from North America. There were a couple of ex-pats from London at my office and they dressed magnificently. They were the exception to the rule however.

I agree with wating to see how everyone else dresses. I know law firms that are quite casual (litigators mostly) and others that are very formal (BigLaw corporate).

In my first year at a law firm I was walking in the hallway without my jacket and the name partner stops me and asks, "Did that suit come with a jacket?". It was his way of saying don't leave your office without your jacket. Appearances were important to him.

Oh, one other point. If you're at a professional firm, there is a fine line between dressing well, and flaunting wealth. The biggest example of this is watches. I wince every time I see a young associate with a new gold rolex. Not that I hate watches, quite the contrary. But from a client's perspective, when they see you with an expensive watch they are apt to think you are being paid too much. Which means they are going to think you are charging them too much. Buy the watch, but don't wear it to client meetings. I just use my Blackberry for the time these days.

Last point. If you're at a Big 4 firm you're likely to be using a Herman Miller Aeron Chair. The mesh seat destroys wool pants.

I wish we got Herman Millers, the recession is here! Interesting watch point, thanks [​IMG]

3. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

Thanks all, This is really helpful- sometimes I think it can be difficult to work out what to wear if you have not had much experience before.

I've been at the firm for about a year and a half now wearing slim navy suits, which is slightly more formal than the open shirts worn by most (unless a client meeting) but I like it. However, I have to admit I've been a bit lazy recently.

It is true that my workmate rocks purple and black label, he is a hardcore Styleforum junkie as well- I'm sure he will chime in sometime[​IMG] Pocket Squares for all!

I really wouldnt bother with a pocket square, I used to wear them with everything, now i barely wear them.

dressed in a white shirt, conservative suit and a tie that coordinates well sets you apart as being well dressed. A pocket square at the office often pushes it over the edge into dandy territory.

4. blackbowtie

blackbowtie Senior member

Well I can tell you some of my pet peeves working in an office I am constantly getting on my employees for poor faashion choices, the worst is when I am interviewing for new positions. You wouldn't believe some of the things people try to get away with. These are pretty basic things but anyways, no clip on ties, shirt neatly tucked in, never tuck without a belt, ties and short sleeves shirts don't mix, make sure everything you have on fits(it's better to be a bit tight then to be too big).

Really?

And wearing a shirt untucked to the office/interview when you have no belt on is an option?

5. makewayhomer

makewayhomer Senior member

Really?

And wearing a shirt untucked to the office/interview when you have no belt on is an option?

you mean, you don't own a belt?

6. SkinnyGoomba

you mean, you don't own a belt?

ever heard of side tabs, or how about braces?

7. Glados1984

Glados1984 Senior member

ever heard of side tabs, or how about braces?

you can still buy bracers? and people still wear them?

8. SkinnyGoomba

you can still buy bracers? and people still wear them?

LOL.

Seriously brace buttons are on every pair of polo made in italy pants i own, including current season.

Side tabs on black label current season.

On this forum, we dress as grown-ups. That sometimes involves wearing braces with a suit.

9. Glados1984

Glados1984 Senior member

LOL.

Seriously brace buttons are on every pair of polo made in italy pants i own, including current season.

Side tabs on black label current season.

On this forum, we dress as grown-ups. That sometimes involves wearing braces with a suit.

LOL

Just because a clothing manufacturer makes something, it dosent mean its considered in date or stylish.

pretty much every major designer brand makes 3 button black business suits. but a good 95% of this forum would dry reach at the thought of wearing one.

Bracers went out a long time ago. The only time in the last few years i've seen someone wear them was at a used car yard.

10. luftvier

luftvier Senior member

pretty much every major designer brand makes 3 button black business suits. but a good 95% of this forum would dry reach at the thought of wearing one.
    In case you haven't noticed, major "designer" brands aren't looked upon too highly about these parts.
    ^ Incorrect. I would argue this point further, but you are apparently above such simple things as logic, truth, and evidence.

11. Glados1984

Glados1984 Senior member

^ Incorrect.

I would argue this point further, but you are apparently above such simple thing as logic, truth, and evidence.

^ Incorrect.

You cant argue it further becaues you got nothing.

you seriously think that something is in fashion simply because its current season?

Bracers are for try hard Gordon Gecko wannabes. Prehaps there are some industries where they can be worn or on a trading floor, but if someone turned up to my office in them they'd be laughed at.

12. Recoil

Recoil Senior member

My advice is not to take anyone's advice too seriously until you actually see what people look like in that workplace. Once you know the "norm", this forum can help you fit in and eventually stand out.

It would be a shame if you went out and filled your closest with blazers and loafers only to find out that everyone wore suits and cap-toes.

Workplaces are so diverse and different these days that so many reject the idea of a strict dress code and embrace a free-market approach-- let the market determine what will be worn. If everyone shows up in slacks and button-downs, that is the dress-code.

13. luftvier

luftvier Senior member

^ Incorrect. You cant argue it further becaues you got nothing. you seriously think that something is in fashion simply because its current season? Bracers are for try hard Gordon Gecko wannabes. Prehaps there are some industries where they can be worn or on a trading floor, but if someone turned up to my office in them they'd be laughed at.
    Braces are practical and stylish, if not fashionable. There exists no other way for a pant to truly hang properly. Belts and sidetabs are great, but braces almost always look better. Moreover, if anyone showed up at your office with braces, they'd have to be a cad for you to see them. If they are worn, you'd never know the dammed difference. But you know this already of course. Why don't you continue to share your wealth of knowledge? Edit: fixed typo.

14. Glados1984

Glados1984 Senior member

Braces are practical and stylish, if not fashionable.

There exists no other way for a pant to truly hang properly. Belts and sidetabs are great, but braces almost always look better.

Moreover, if anyone showed up at your office with braces, they'd have top be a cad for you to see them. If they are worn, you'd never know the dammed difference.

But you know this already of course. Why don't you continue to share your wealth of knowledge?

you'd see them when their jacket was removed and then you'd laugh at them with the rest of the office.

like pocket-squares, braces in a modern office are just a poor attempt to look quirky and better dressed then your co-workers, but you'll just end up looking dated. i'm sure there's probably the one in a hundred that could pull it off without looking like a retard, but for advice for the OP, stay the hell away from them, unless you end up working at the retard factory and everyone is wearing them.

15. luftvier

luftvier Senior member

you'd see them when their jacket was removed and then you'd laugh at them with the rest of the office.

like pocket-squares, braces in a modern office are just a poor attempt to look quirky and better dressed then your co-workers, but you'll just end up looking dated. i'm sure there's probably the one in a hundred that could pull it off without looking like a retard, but for advice for the OP, stay the hell away from them, unless you end up working at the retard factory and everyone is wearing them.

You continue to spout gems of wisdom.

Please continue.

16. Glados1984

Glados1984 Senior member

You continue to spout gems of wisdom. Please continue.
    No i rebutted your reply to my post, my work is done here.

17. luftvier

luftvier Senior member

No i rebutted your reply to my post, my work is done here.
    Another gem. Thank you for your continued brilliance. Have you met my friend bowtielover?

18. bowtielover

bowtielover Senior member

Really?

I'm not saying it's an opyion but I have had a few guys come into work with their shirts tucked in and no belt so i'm saying always make sure you have a belt on.

19. SkinnyGoomba

^ Incorrect.

You cant argue it further becaues you got nothing.

you seriously think that something is in fashion simply because its current season?

Bracers are for try hard Gordon Gecko wannabes. Prehaps there are some industries where they can be worn or on a trading floor, but if someone turned up to my office in them they'd be laughed at.

How many industries have trading floors where you can wear braces?

You're really reaching to make a nothing point. The argument was about belts, and there are other ways to keep your pants up other then a belt.

I wear pants with side tabs on my suits and to be honest i dont think anyone has even noticed. They arent very conspicuous.

Braces, who really notices them unless you leave your jacket off, If i wear them i keep my jacket on, and i actually like wearing them with a suit, its a cleaner look and i dont need to adjust my pants as much.

I'm not sure what work you do at 'your office', but I'm surprised that you would even bother laughing at someone wearing braces with a suit.

20. luftvier

luftvier Senior member

Another gem. Thank you for your continued brilliance.

Have you met my friend bowtielover?

I'm not saying it's an opyion but I have had a few guys come into work with their shirts tucked in and no belt so i'm saying always make sure you have a belt on.

I could not have prayed for better timing.