• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Clothes to wear to work- Dos and Don'ts!

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Glados1984
you could, but I didnt come in sounding like a condescending knob like luftvier when i asked who owns braces in this day and age? Underware is what superman wears on the outside of his pants, but is that underware if its on the outside?!? oh noes!!!!
Lighten up buddy there are worlds outside of what you know as being normal, you're poasts wreak of inexperience. Lufty works in an environment where people are required to dress formally, I'm sure he's run into a few people who wear braces, same with those who work in banking.

Glados1984

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
Lighten up buddy there are worlds outside of what you know as being normal, you're poasts wreak of inexperience. Lufty works in an environment where people are required to dress formally, I'm sure he's run into a few people who wear braces, same with those who work in banking.
no kidding and being a banker coming upto retirement is not a world i know, neither is it a world that graduates would know, which is who this thread is for. suggesting that ground floor newstarts dress like they're in their late 50's is poor advice. I'm surprised Lufty has seen peoples braces, isnt letting them shown breaking the rules? I just dont like being talked down to when i'm not out of line.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I find it amusing that the man Barking me down is also complaining about it.
bounce2.gif

Regardless, the style preached about on this board is not age specific, most anyone can dress in a charcoal suit, white shirt and black cap toes without looking old/dated/too young, ect.

Now whats interesting is that things like braces are really a small detail, you dont see them unless you remove your jacket. In a business formal world, like the OP is involved in, you wont see anyone really giving them much concern. Some of the older gents around the office might actually get a kick out of it.

Wallcloud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I find it amusing that a guy from the UK is talking bad about braces. A certain crown prince might argue with his logic.

Glados1984

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Wallcloud
I find it amusing that a guy from the UK is talking bad about braces. A certain crown prince might argue with his logic.
I'm sure Charles would! but i wouldnt take advice from a man who sleeps with a horse! :p

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lighten up buddy there are worlds outside of what you know as being normal, you're poasts wreak of inexperience.

Lufty works in an environment where people are required to dress formally, I'm sure he's run into a few people who wear braces, same with those who work in banking.

Yes.

no kidding and being a banker coming upto retirement is not a world i know, neither is it a world that graduates would know, which is who this thread is for. suggesting that ground floor newstarts dress like they're in their late 50's is poor advice.

I'm surprised Lufty has seen peoples braces, isnt letting them shown breaking the rules?

I just dont like being talked down to when i'm not out of line.

It's not that you're out of line, it's just that you're wrong.

I find it amusing that the man Barking me down is also complaining about it.
bounce2.gif

Regardless, the style preached about on this board is not age specific, most anyone can dress in a charcoal suit, white shirt and black cap toes without looking old/dated/too young, ect.

Now whats interesting is that things like braces are really a small detail, you dont see them unless you remove your jacket. In a business formal world, like the OP is involved in, you wont see anyone really giving them much concern. Some of the older gents around the office might actually get a kick out of it.

This is true. I wore a bow tie to the firm Christmas party, another item that Glados1984 would likely condemn. A retired partner approached me about it, and we ended up striking a great conversation.

Older gents get a kick out of younger guys dressing well and appropriately.

Originally Posted by Wallcloud

lol8[1].gif

I'm sure Charles would! but i wouldnt take advice from a man who sleeps with a horse! :p

Irrespective of his sexual proclivities, the man knows how to dress, which is better than some on this forum.

Glados1984

Reaction score
Originally Posted by luftvier
Yes.

It's not that you're out of line, it's just that you're wrong.

This is true. I wore a bow tie to the firm Christmas party, another item that Glados1984 would likely condemn. A retired partner approached me about it, and we ended up striking a great conversation.

Older gents get a kick out of younger guys dressing well and appropriately.

lol8[1].gif

Irrespective of his sexual proclivities, the man knows how to dress, which is better than some on this forum.

I also wore a bowtie to the work christmas party, what else are you ment to wear with evening wear?

We've established that braces are for coming upto retirement bankers, not graduate job hunters, even so apparently they're not even ment to be seen! which makes your point about dressing to impress the OAP's of the office even more marsupialed.

I think the best advice is to dress your age and dress slightly better than your position. turning up in a graduate scheme rocking the braces will make you look weird and i dont think you'll get affection from the management, they'll probably think you're grandmother dressed you.

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I also wore a bowtie to the work christmas party, what else are you ment to wear with evening wear?
Generally in black tie, braces are necessary to hold up your trousers.
We've established that braces are for coming upto retirement bankers, not graduate job hunters, even so apparently they're not even ment to be seen!
We've established that you are a twit.
. . . which makes your point about dressing to impress the OAP's of the office even more marsupialed.
I think this thread derailed when you suggested that braces were somehow inappropriate for a young professional.
I think the best advice is to dress your age and dress slightly better than your position. turning up in a graduate scheme rocking the braces will make you look weird and i dont think you'll get affection from the management, they'll probably think you're grandmother dressed you.
Thank you. "You're" < 100 posts clearly make you an expert on men's style. I shall ignore Flusser henceforth. Really, StyleForvm gets more interesting every day.
laugh.gif

Glados1984

Reaction score
Generally in black tie, braces are necessary to hold up your trousers

Generally, you dont wear black tie to work as a graduate.

We've established that you are a twit.

We've established that you name call when you've been proven wrong about something and cant come back with a reply

I think this thread derailed when you suggested that braces were somehow inappropriate for a young professional.

I think this thread derailed when you spoke down to me after I asked 'who owns braces these days'

Thank you. "You're" < 100 posts clearly make you an expert on men's style. I shall ignore Flusser henceforth.

Really, StyleForvm gets more interesting every day.

Whats really amazing is that you can have such a high post count and still not know that people under 50 dont wear braces to their first job! stunning!

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

We've established that you name call when you've been proven wrong about something and cant come back with a reply

I think this thread derailed when you spoke down to me after I asked 'who owns braces these days'

Whats really amazing is that you can have such a high post count and still not know that people under 50 dont wear braces to their first job! stunning!

Wait til your second job then? OK got it.

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
facepalm.gif

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by leonuk
Hi All,

Hope you had an amazing Christmas.

I think it would be useful to stick up a list of tips on what to wear and what not to wear for those new to a business job (such as graduates going into accountancy).

Would anyone be able to suggest some tips (or even pictures) to kick me off?

It will be interesting to hear what you come up with- I need to kop some new clothes ASAP. If this works out I would like to stick it on my online blog along with a massive SF link and contributors list (but only if thats allowed). It might let me compete with my workmate that rocks Purple Label in his M3 all day long...

Ho ho ho,

Leon

/thread derail.

Sorry about those last few pages
laugh.gif

Slim navy suits are just dandy for a professional environment requiring such.

As far as suits go, I'd recommend to expand into the following:
  • Charcoal
  • Glen Plaid
  • Pinstripe in Navy/Charcoal
    [8]Flannel Chalkstripe in navy/charcoal

Doxe has some great advice in here earlier regarding flaunting wealth, i.e. Rolex. A young associate doing so merely appears crass. It's best to keep it muted to a point. Even at a point where you afford Gucci loafers or Ferragamos or what have you, it's likely not looked well upon by the management or by clients.

Better to pick muted, high quality goods.

Executed well, the basics will take you far:
  • Simple suit
  • Black captoe Balmoral shoes
  • White linen PS
  • Simple silver tie bar
  • White shirt
  • Repp tie
  • Reliable, classic watch (Seiko 5, Citizen, etc.)

While I know my list is not nearly as exhaustive as others', I think this is a good place to start.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads