• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hey guys, would really appreciate some help with suit selection !!

Hot_Sauce

Reaction score
Hey guys, I am fairly new here, I was searching for suit suggestions and I stumbled upon this forum
smile.gif

I have an occasion coming up, its a engagement ceremony, and a very huge sparkling one, with lots and lots of people and some big personalities coming over. Now I don't want to sound like a cocky person or anything, but I want to look the best on that occasion. I have never been a suit person and never had any $ and I was always the wal-mart suit wearing guy at any type of occasion until I recently landed a nice job. I feel like spending on myself because now I finally can. Can you suggest me a good suit ?

I have found two suits that I like very much, but I seriously don't know if they are the IN thing or not. One is plain and one is striped.

http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse...376&pid=664188

http://www.menswearhouse.com/webapp/...51?cm_vc=40159

Which one do you think is better and more IN ?? and would make me shine lol

Any other suggestions are welcome.

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hot_Sauce
I have found two suits that I like very much, but I seriously don't know if they are the IN thing or not. One is plain and one is striped. http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse...376&pid=664188 http://www.menswearhouse.com/webapp/...51?cm_vc=40159 Which one do you think is better and more IN ?? and would make me shine lol Any other suggestions are welcome.
Neither. While they might look good, both are garbage. This, in solid charcoal or navy is a much beter option. After you've had this properly tailored, then, pick a nice shirt/time combo to "shine." A plain grey or navy is a great base for unique shirts and ties. You will stand out because your suit will actually fit you.

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, I'll agree with the poster who said no. I work at Banana, get a huge discount, and won't buy the suits now. They're of questionable quality, and you'll be able to get a much better deal elsewhere.

The Brooks suit is a great recommendation as they fit most people pretty well. The Kenneth Cole is absolutely shapeless, the wool quality is terrible at best, and it looks as if it will fall apart within 6 months. What is your budget?

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
wow, that is a good price for a fitzgerald BB suit! hope the original poster considers a nice navy or solid gray suit, definitely the way to go. navy might be best, since you can split it into a blazer to wear with odd trousers or jeans and a crisp white open collar shirt, as well. perhaps you can try on the suits at the BB store, to get the best size for you-- go down two sizes from what you think you might be, and work up to the size that looks sharpest on you and feels comfortable.

Originally Posted by luftvier
Neither. While they might look good, both are garbage.

This, in solid charcoal or navy is a much beter option.

After you've had this properly tailored, then, pick a nice shirt/time combo to "shine." A plain grey or navy is a great base for unique shirts and ties.

You will stand out because your suit will actually fit you.

B|aze

Reaction score

Hot_Sauce

Reaction score
Originally Posted by B|aze
Do you even read the feedback?!
eh.gif

yeah I do, the only reason I am a bit more leaned towards BR is because I have a gift card. But it doesn't mean I necessarily have to buy it from BR, I can use it some other time too. I am very much inclined towards the BB suit the poster 2 posts above posted, but I am kind of confused

Mike147

Reaction score
If you want something that will last you for many years and look very 'Adult' - get a Brooks Brothers Suit. At $475 for Banana, you are getting ripped off. You will own it / wear it for 2 years MAX.

The two BB 1818 Regent suits I posted above, it they have your size, will provide a very good value with a more modern style that basic BB suits. The trousers are flat front and the jacket has a more narrow lapel.

Use the Banana gift card to buy some casual clothing - their suits are not good quality. If you were paying $100 on-sale, I'd say go for it - but anything more, I think you're wasting your money

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Use the gift card online, specifically at Piperlime.

What size are you? How much is your gift card for? When do you need the suit? If you're dead set on getting Banana, wait until mid January, as each Wednesday in January, one full price item will be 40% off. Get the jacket and pants one week apart.

Furthermore, you should be looking at grey or navy and not black.

Hot_Sauce

Reaction score
I am 40L. its for $100. I need the suit in the first week of February. Why grey or navy and not black ? Is that the latest trend ?

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can see this further elaborated on in many of the other threads, but to give a snipet: black is really only suited for evening and more formal events. Grey and navy are best for business and daily events of the like.

x26

Reaction score
Like the other posters said" Get the Brooks Brothers-that fits best-Anf look Stunning:.
The choice is yours; Don't disappoint...
bigstar[1].gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads