• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Peking Duck

Wallcloud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Next time I am in Chicago I will be going to Sun Wah. Mouth is watering in anticipation.

tor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronic
Anyone go to Peking Gourmet Inn in Falls Church, VA? It was George Bush Sr.'s favorite restaurant while he was in office. They serve a pretty damn good duck.

Next time I'm in the area, I will definitely seek it out. I love duck.

I had some duck at Little Owl in nyc. I was not that impressed, mostly because it was cold-ish. I'd love some nice Peking Duck.
drool.gif

raley

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sleekblackroadster
can't find a good place for it in houston.

i want to get the whole duck but everywhere i go if i order a whole duck they bring out bits of the meat already shredded and it never looks close to a whole duck. and the quality is just never top notch. usually always too dry for my tastes.

we always went to sinh sinh, but I am not sure if it is authentic/good by an appreciator's standards

tasted pretty good to me, though

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there any use for duck in place of a ham hock? I want to make a lot of soup/stews over the next month.

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reggs
Is there any use for duck in place of a ham hock? I want to make a lot of soup/stews over the next month.

I've never had a sufficient quantity of duck to use like that. But, I bet lots of duck carcasses could make a pretty interesting stock.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reggs
Hong Kong syle Peking Duck is served in three courses. The first is the duck skin as traditional Peking Duck. The second is duck meat stir fried. The third is duck soup made from the carcass. My favorite way to eat the dish.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Chinese Cafe Eight used to have a whole Peking Duck for 2,880 yen. (which at the time was around $20-25. I assume the price has gone up since then, and the exchange isn't very good right now. Oh, and they are open 24 hours a day. They have hundreds of menu items. Most of which are pretty damn cheap.
796-SP-Chinese-Cafe_duck.jpg

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by trader
crispy aromatic duck shredded by the waiter on your table. mmmmmm. best i ever had was in bangkok. in the building two over from paragon. restaurant on the top floor

royal%2Bchina2.jpg

+ ******* one. that is one of my favorite dishes.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
I somehow got talked into buying two ducks today. They're beautiful, organic, and should taste great. I think I'll take one of them and turn it into peking duck. Someone pm me with a recipe immediately!

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
I somehow got talked into buying two ducks today. They're beautiful, organic, and should taste great. I think I'll take one of them and turn it into peking duck. Someone pm me with a recipe immediately!

It's a PitA, as I recall. You have to steam the thing for a long, long time to render the fat out, and I do mean all of it. This is not like a froggy duck dish, where a little bit of fat left in there is OK. The skin has to be like a potato chip.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
It's a PitA, as I recall. You have to steam the thing for a long, long time to render the fat out, and I do mean all of it. This is not like a froggy duck dish, where a little bit of fat left in there is OK. The skin has to be like a potato chip.

The resident Azn, the old prep guy at work, said it has to be tented and steamed forEVER. He said we're talkin like 3 or 4 days of steaming. Yikes.

BDC2823

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
You can have one of my ducks if you cook both of them and let me have one.

Bring those ducks down to SoCal

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads