• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Quality of fade related to quality of denim

Gayestmanalive

Reaction score
Ok, I've been reading the forums for a little while now concerning this topic.
So, Japanese denim, generally considered very very good.

My question is this: Is the quality of the denim related to the quality of the fade/worn look you end up getting? Contrast, fades, lines, etc.

I recently saw a post, where the OP asked why people preferred japanese brands to western brands, and a person replied simply by posting a picture of a pair of worn flat heads, that honestly looked absolutely stunning. I mean, if they went for sale on ebay, I would have bought them.

Actually here they are:
http://www.authenticforum.com/dry-de...-westerns.html
If you scroll down about half way you can see them.

Now, those look amazing.

Are fades like that, and looks like that overall more common with japanese/higher quality brands? Or is it dependent solely on how the person wears them/treats them? Washes, etc?

It seems to me like how a pair of raw jeans ends up looking wouldn't matter too much on whether or not the were *high* end. Seems like individual treatment would matter more.

I can appreciate a good pair of quality anything really, quality is quality, but I guess what I'm really getting at is this, can I get a sick looking faded pair of jeans like the ones up top on a pair of nudies? Naked and famous? APCs?

Or really must I buy something like flat head? Samurai? Skull?
I'm a poor ass college student, haha. If I can get away with getting a good looking fade on a denim with slightly less quality or details put into it.. I'll take it for now.
However, if it is the case, that higher quality japanese brands like flat head, sammy, skull, etc etc produce overall better looking fades like the one above.. well then I'd prolly just as well save my money for a couple months, and buy a pair of those.

Thanks in advance.

Gayestmanalive

Reaction score
I wanted to get more than just a 2-3 replies.

Seems like a topic worthy of its own thread anyways.

I've read through the denim megathread, and yeah I see cool fades on all sorts of brands, but still.

I mean if this thread really doesn't deserve its own space, then please someone delete it.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gayestmanalive
I wanted to get more than just a 2-3 replies.
Why?

"My question is this: Is the quality of the denim related to the quality of the fade/worn look you end up getting?"
Yes.

Gayestmanalive

Reaction score
Why?
Because I prefer to get more than one opinion.

An explanation as opposed to a one word response is preferable as well if you don't mind.
smile.gif

If you believe that higher quality denim does produce better fades/signs of wear, etc, why is that the case you think?

What is it about the way flat head makes their jeans that result in really cool looking fades/stress after time?

Or is it more dependent on how the individual wears his jeans? And less dependent on the brand? (i.e. the way they are made, quality of materials)

ConcernedParent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't say it's the quality so much as the characteristics of the denim. Quality of denim+dye contribute to those differences.

Flatheads fade very fast, so do APCs; one is considered premium, the other entry level. They also have similar looking fade patterns (albeit Flatheads fade a much prettier color, but thats subjective). On the otherhand another premium japanese jean, Ironheart, hardly fade at all...

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Because the discussion of denim quality could go on forever, as it usually does, with whodini implying that everyone is wrong.

My advice? Be more concerned about getting the fit, texture, and color that you want. Then, think about fadez.

Gayestmanalive

Reaction score
Originally Posted by zissou
Because the discussion of denim quality could go on forever, as it usually does, with whodini implying that everyone is wrong.

My advice? Be more concerned about getting the fit, texture, and color that you want. Then, think about fadez.

Thanks, I just finished searching the forums and stumbled across this thread http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...get+good+fades
And it states that fades/stress are related to the quality, basically worshiping Japanese brands.

Thanks for the advice.. the reason I'm being so "anal" about this is cause like I said.. if it really is worth the money to throw down on a pair of flat heads, as opposed to a pair of naked and famous or APCs, I'd just as soon save my pennies for an extra month or two and get the flat heads.
I mean after all, you're buying raw denim to eventually get that sweet looking stress/faded look right?

I guess what I'm asking then is : Is it worth paying the extra premium to get a distinguished Japanese brand like flat head? Or should I just go with a pair of APCs or naked and famous?

I know that question prolly cant' be answereed, everyone prolly has a different response, but I'm asking anyways.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
I know that question prolly cant' be answereed, everyone prolly has a different response, but I'm asking anyways.
I guess what I'm asking then is : Is it worth paying the extra premium to get a distinguished Japanese brand like flat head? Or should I just go with a pair of APCs or naked and famous?
Hmm. I couldn't answer that question in a million years. What do you think, gayestmanalive?

it really is worth the money to throw down on a pair of flat heads, as opposed to a pair of naked and famous or APCs. I'd just as soon save my pennies for an extra month or two and get the flat heads. I mean after all, you're buying raw denim to eventually get that sweet looking stress/faded look right?

Gayestmanalive

Reaction score
Sorry, the way I end up talking on forums is often out of sync with myself.

I guess what I should have asked, is it worth it for someone like me?
I don't know **** all about quality of denim, everything I've done is online so far. I'll be going to the mall to check out some entry level jeans this weekend.

Really I'm just looking for a cool fade, and so far japanese brands seem to give the coolest looking ones.

I guess I just answered my own question.

Biscotti

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just get APC, Nudie, N&F or something similair on the cheap. Go through the B&S forum, there are always good deals there. Personally I will not spend more than $150 on jeans, but I'm not a denim fanatic.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads