• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)?

BB1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by XenoX101
It's a vivienne westwood hoodie, I've come to the consensus that Vivienne Westwood takes the piss so much that you can't tell when she's being serious, she makes both very bad and very good clothing, this seems to be an example of the former.
Well, the hoodie looks like something a superhero might wear in his slouchy off time. Placing a miniature version of the "captain westwood" logo on the sleeve cuff as if it were a badge of honor only adds to the effect. And the neckline matches a 1960's concept of "space age", like something from a Jetson's cartoon. In that sense, it is a kind of a humorous piece.

nohomo

Reaction score
pPOLO2-6502101_standard_v330.jpg

Yay or nay? About 240 after taxes.

Oxnard

Reaction score
Am I the only one who absolutely hates Ralph Lauren with a passion? Maybe with RRL excluded, but man all the Polo, RLX, etc. cannot stand the brand overall. Where I live Ralph Lauren is like the uniform for the typical WASP. Also hate how they photoshop **** on their website, both the clothing and the models included.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
^Nope I can't stand it either. I used to have tons of it in college and I tried real hard to like it but just got pissed at the fit. I don't think anything fit right so I finally threw in the towel after a few years. Now rlpl made in china? No thanks.

ppllzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Oxnard
Am I the only one who absolutely hates Ralph Lauren with a passion? Maybe with RRL excluded, but man all the Polo, RLX, etc. cannot stand the brand overall. Where I live Ralph Lauren is like the uniform for the typical WASP. Also hate how they photoshop **** on their website, both the clothing and the models included.
Originally Posted by jet
^Nope I can't stand it either. I used to have tons of it in college and I tried real hard to like it but just got pissed at the fit. I don't think anything fit right so I finally threw in the towel after a few years. Now rlpl made in china? No thanks.
-100000000 RL rules so hard. PRL has the cool americana waspy preppy look with a more relaxed american fit, RRL is even more rugged and american, with a slimmer fit, RLBL for when you want the military/fashion look, rlx when you wanna go skiing, RLPL when you grow old and rich. really no reason to buy any brand other than RL! and did i mention that their shoes are great???

nohomo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrNick
I didn't see that on the site, thanks. JCrew is much better quality.

Jcrew is much better quality than PRL?
eh.gif

Especially anything made w/ wool from jcrew sucks donkey balls.

BB1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Oxnard
You're not alone-- I strongly dislike RL too! RL is not even really designer clothing, but more of a famous brand name that just happens to sell clothing. Heck, you can even buy RL towels and bedding! RL evokes an image of the "country club gentleman" who plays golf and lives in an upper middle class neighborhood in the suburbs. J. Crew is nearly the same thing. It is like the RL country club gentleman who has been heavily disheveled in order to avoid the WASPy image (since many younger middle class people hate the image), but it is derived from the same starting point.

XenoX101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
RL is such a tough call because it is reasonable quality, simple, accessible, affordable and reputable for all of the above, yet their philosophy and the image they try to push is of the superficial rich british kids with combovers who play tennis and go to black tie dinners on weekends with their parents and various relatives for the sake of keeping up appearances, gawd.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads