• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Go Surface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by IIIrd Icon
these would be my 1st, too.

AldenKix.jpg

I want.

Marbles29

Reaction score
Help me make a decision! Aesthetically, I prefer the look of a double leather sole, but in terms of practicality, it is peremptory I take a commando sole. Given the impermeability of Cordovan (well at least with respect to calf), I intend to where these shoes in somewhat inclement conditions (not torrential downpours, by any means). I've been looking for a shoe with which to circumambulate Manhattan without the slightest misgiving. And I know the proceeding months call for salt strewn surfaces, which from what I gather, is the number one enemy of a leather sole. Otherwise, do you think a double leather sole would satisfy the wayfarer in all of us as well as a commando sole? A few of my favorite designs are bereft of a commando sole on Leather Soul and elsewhere. Thanks!

MiniW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
nice rick, are they on the barrie last? Also the carpet is unforgivably ugly - I hope its your office.

pandamonium

Reaction score
To the Alden experts:

I've got big, flat feet. I have a pair of Indy boots in the trubalance last and it took a while to get them to feel right (after stretching the left foot to accommodate the little toe).

Which last/size do you recommend for me? Any advice would be appreciated. Here are my measurements:

Length: 10.75 inches (29.8 cm)
Width at ball (widest point): 4.5 inches (11.4 cm)
Width at waist: 3.7 inches (9.4 cm)

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pandamonium
To the Alden experts:

I've got big, flat feet. I have a pair of Indy boots in the trubalance last and it took a while to get them to feel right (after stretching the left foot to accommodate the little toe).

Which last/size do you recommend for me? Any advice would be appreciated. Here are my measurements:

Length: 10.75 inches (29.8 cm)
Width at ball (widest point): 4.5 inches (11.4 cm)
Width at waist: 3.7 inches (9.4 cm)

Get your arch length measured. You can use the Brannock device for this. You could be, say, a 9EEE or a 12D with those numbers. Your arch length is probably your best starting point.

pandamonium

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dewey
Get your arch length measured. You can use the Brannock device for this. You could be, say, a 9EEE or a 12D with those numbers. Your arch length is probably your best starting point.
I measured on my cut-out for arch length: it's 8 inches. I'll invest in a Brannock device soon, I can't find one that's very inexpensive. Is there anything you can tell me from this new measurement?

rick

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MiniW
nice rick, are they on the barrie last? Also the carpet is unforgivably ugly - I hope its your office.

yes they are on the barrie, i *** them from leathersoul, and yes that shot is in my office.

jasonfoote303

Reaction score
alden_longwings_1.jpg

I just have been notified that the Alden store in San Francisco will be receiving a batch of the Longwing Bluchers in the beautiful and elusive Cigar Shell Cordovan in about 2 weeks!

To my knowledge the shoes are on the Barrie last (as seen in the picture above) and will have the double leather sole (unlike the ones in the picture above)

Reserve a pair today... they will probably go fast.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pandamonium
Is there anything you can tell me from this new measurement?
No. Note it takes two people to use a Brannock device. You can't measure your own feet. You need to stand on the thing with all your usual weight on the foot and have another person smush down your toes and dial up that arch thinger to fit. Plus you need to consider if the big toe is the best indicator of your arch size. A lot of people have some kind of Morton's toe and that could mean your big toe joint measures a little shorter than the arch of your whole ball. Go get fitted by someone who knows what he's doing. The length in inches that you self measure from a picture you drew is not going to be of any help, really. Look at the size suggested by your toe length and the size suggested by your arch length and start there. If they are the same it is easy. If they are much different you will need to experiment.

pandamonium

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dewey
No.

Note it takes two people to use a Brannock device. You can't measure your own feet. You need to stand on the thing with all your usual weight on the foot and have another person smush down your toes and dial up that arch thinger to fit. Plus you need to consider if the big toe is the best indicator of your arch size. A lot of people have some kind of Morton's toe and that could mean your big toe joint measures a little shorter than the arch of your whole ball.

Go get fitted by someone who knows what he's doing. The length in inches that you self measure from a picture you drew is not going to be of any help, really.

Look at the size suggested by your toe length and the size suggested by your arch length and start there. If they are the same it is easy. If they are much different you will need to experiment.

Thanks. I'll either pick one up on eBay or have them size me again at the Alden store.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads