• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shirt laundry in NYC

fopkid

Reaction score
While I'm willing to condemn some of my (inexpensive) shirts to the standard commercial laundry, there are others that I'd like to treat with greater care. To that end, there seem to be a few choices:
(1) Wash them myself - probably the best long-term strategy, but not currently practical
(2) Use a shirt laundry affiliated with a shirtmaker - not currently practical
(3) Find a neighborhood laundry that will do things the "right" way - nirvana if I find it, but won't hold my breath
(4) Send them to a well-publicized service that will give them TLC at a higher price than the standard commercial laundry. In this category, I'd include Hallak/Meurice at the ultra-high end, and Allo Laverie, Green Apple, Laides Who Launder, Slate at a high (but not nosebleed) price point.

Would be very interested to hear from anybody who's got experience sending shirts to any of the names in point (4), or others that I missed that do great work. In searching this board, there are references to some, but not all, of the above.

Thank you.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I occasionally use Meurice, like when a co-worker ran into me with a cup of coffee. That was the last shirt I took there, and they charged $7.67 for wash & box. I can't justify the price for every day cleaning, but it's nice for end of season. I think they do a very good job. FWIW, my shirtmaker recommends them as well.

chestercopperpot

Reaction score
just sent 2 shirts and one cashmere sweater to madame paulette...

got my bill...

GOOD LORD!

$87.60?!

24 for each shirt (not dry cleaned)

and 39.60 for the sweater (though it had a small stain on it)

they look fantastic but i've never paid that much for dry cleaning. yikes!

gbrown_nyc

Reaction score
I use Green Apple. Consistently good. They mangled two shirts a few weeks back, called me promptly and refunded the cost with a minimum amount of hassle. Considering I get 20 shirts cleaned a month 2 mistakes a year is ok with me.

chestercopperpot

Reaction score
Originally Posted by oshinex
You're kidding me.

no i'm not kidding

i'm never using madame paulette ever again. i'm stunned at how expensive they are.

i mean my shirt looks good as new but gosh its just not worth it. i would rather put that money towards another shirt!

chestercopperpot

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gbrown_nyc
I use Green Apple. Consistently good. They mangled two shirts a few weeks back, called me promptly and refunded the cost with a minimum amount of hassle. Considering I get 20 shirts cleaned a month 2 mistakes a year is ok with me.

also how much do you pay for green apple?

Mark Seitelman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chestercopperpot
just sent 2 shirts and one cashmere sweater to madame paulette...

got my bill...

GOOD LORD!

$87.60?!

24 for each shirt (not dry cleaned)

and 39.60 for the sweater (though it had a small stain on it)

they look fantastic but i've never paid that much for dry cleaning. yikes!

Just a bit of a caveat in using "top-end" cleaners, such as Madame Paulette, Hallak, etc.

They are expensive. Don't assume that they charge a buck or two more than the neighborhood going rate. Establish the price up-front. They probably have different prices for different services, such as hand-pressing versus machine pressing on shirts. Also hand-washing versus machine washing.

I recall reading in The Times that Madame Paulette will do anything necessary to properly clean a garment, such as taking-off the buttons, and then re-sewing them. They will dismantle a garment, if necessary, in order to protect buttons, leather trims, etc.

A salesman told me that one of his store's best and most elaborate gowns got soiled. Madame Paulette was called for a price, and it quoted about $500! Hallak was asked, and it was about $100. Hallak got the job, did a fine job, and got the store's work.

DandySF

Reaction score
I've found that the best cleaners don't have fixed prices. They evaluate each garment and price the cleaning accordingly. There's the element of handing over a blank check when you drop off your cleaning at a top cleaner.

chestercopperpot

Reaction score
yeah i just cant swing that anymore. most of my shirts are just tb oxfords and black fleece oxfords. not worth it. i can understand people who use that when they have mtm charvet but not for me.

ArsenalDan

Reaction score
Has this scene changed much over the last couple of years?

I'm in South Brooklyn, my shirts are not expensive, and all I want is someone to wash them on cold, dry them and then press them. Perfection is not necessary, but I really don't want dry cleaning, if possible.

Thoughts?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads