• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Studying at Oxford, what should I know?

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kohan
But realistically, trousers+oxford shirt+sweater = acceptable day-to-day?
That will be more than acceptable, you will probably be smarter than many but not enough to stand out. You will find there are pretty easily identifiable "tribes" wearing different clothes at British universities, some of them dress relatively smartly, and some do not at all.

Augusto86

Sean Penn's Mexican love child
Reaction score
beltoutlet_2073_49909554

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks all, some good stuff here I hadn't known.

I'm really not too worried, just want to be as prepared as I can so my attention can be focused where it matters.

I was curious about daily attire though, as a friend who studied -- pardon, read -- there a little while back commented that everyone dressed much more nicely day-to-day than any American university she had seen.

Then again, students here wear shapeless jeans and northface fleeces like it's our uniform...

But realistically, trousers+oxford shirt+sweater = acceptable day-to-day?

(I figure the bowties can be for special occasions
bigstar[1].gif
)

Oh, and I'll be there for the Hilary and Trinity terms.

Again, thanks all.

Seriously dont sweat it. Like any other university its not a homogenous student body and people dress in all sorts of styles. Button up / polo, jeans / trousers, possibly a v-neck sweater or sportscoat, etc will carry you through 90% of situations whether it's pub or tutorial. You will probably need academic dress for exams (dark suit, white shirt, white bow tie, gown). Gown and tie you can pick up at any number of stores in Oxford or borrow from a friend.

Avoid wearing Oxford logoed stuff while you are there. Its a sure fire way to inhibit integration with the full time kids.

Dont bring really nice shoes for daily wear. Between cobblestones and drunken nights in the pub you will trash them.

K

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh, do your best to get into one of the older more central colleges. A lot of your social life will revolve around it, and if you stay in college housing it will mean living centrally as opposed to halfway to Summertown.

K

Augusto86

Reaction score
Bikes are handy. Oxford is maybe the world's most bike-friendly place.

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Augusto86
Bikes are handy. Oxford is maybe the world's most bike-friendly place.

Amsterdam

K

PhiloVance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was just in oxford at the beginning of the month to visit my brother in law who teaches there. I think you can wear everyday "american" clothes and you will fit in fine. I think this idea of well-dressed europeans is something of a myth. while i didnt see many people wearing sneakers and baseball caps, most people were wearing khakis and dress shirts with shoes. This is what I see most people wearing to work here everyday in midtown manhattan. I did see a few well-dressed men in london, but the ratio of well-dressed men in london vs. NYC didnt strike me as drastically higher.

as an aside, to be perfectly honest, it is almost impossible to find a crowded cafe, restaurant, or bar that doesnt reek of b.o. I dont think you can have more than five to ten europeans in a room together without being overwhelmed by that old high school gymnasium smell. It really hits you in the face like a brick, so prepare yourself
frown.gif

also, keep in mind that you can catch the x88 from the gloucester green bus station in oxford and be at the northampton factory shops in 90 minutes.

Oxford is a pretty nice old town. I hope you enjoy your time there.
Philo

Augusto86

Reaction score
Originally Posted by VKK3450
Amsterdam K
You can't fall into a canal in Oxford. Unless you're REALLY drunk. Wait, nevermind...

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can't fall into a canal in Oxford.

Unless you're REALLY drunk.

Wait, nevermind...

I know a few people who ended up in canals in Oxford.

And Amsterdam has bike lanes and drivers are more accustomed to bikers, so your chances of being hit / run over are less.

But you are right, it is a pretty bike friendly town. Also bike theft friendly.

K

Augusto86

Reaction score
Originally Posted by VKK3450
I know a few people who ended up in canals in Oxford.

And Amsterdam has bike lanes and drivers are more accustomed to bikers, so your chances of being hit / run over are less.

But you are right, it is a pretty bike friendly town. Also bike theft friendly.

K

Yeah, I never got that. My friends when i was there would just randomly grab bikes and leave them @ the destination. Apparently they are like bike communal property.

PhiloVance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the bike lanes appeared to be about 4-6 inches wide, basically a very small space off of the curb, with the outer edge separating the vehicle traffic marked by a double yellow line. So unless you can maintain a very straight line . . .
eh.gif

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PhiloVance
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the bike lanes appeared to be about 4-6 inches wide, basically a very small space off of the curb, with the outer edge separating the vehicle traffic marked by a double yellow line. So unless you can maintain a very straight line . . .
eh.gif

In OX? They are basically an afterthought.

You ride where you need to. Motorized traffic be damned.

K

Kohan

Reaction score
beltoutlet_2073_49909554

I already have two, one for day wear and the other for special occasions.

Getting a bike sounds like a pretty good idea, though I wonder when I'll be able to use it. When in the year does England thaw?

And I hadn't given any thought to dressing for exams... Is that policy? How does it work?

On a similar note, how do examinations even work in the tutorial system? Is it more likely they'll be oral exams or written tests?

Augusto86

Reaction score
I already have two, one for day wear and the other for special occasions.

Getting a bike sounds like a pretty good idea, though I wonder when I'll be able to use it. When in the year does England thaw?

And I hadn't given any thought to dressing for exams... Is that policy? How does it work?

On a similar note, how do examinations even work in the tutorial system? Is it more likely they'll be oral exams or written tests?

Thaw? I dunno, March-ish depending on global warming? No idea really.

Dry out? Never....

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Getting a bike sounds like a pretty good idea,

You'll just need to get used to the British bikes, which steer on the right instead of on the left.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads