• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Studying at Oxford, what should I know?

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teacher
You'll just need to get used to the British bikes, which steer on the right instead of on the left.

Took me ages with that. And driving with the gas and brake switched.

K

Kohan

Reaction score
Now I think about it, what is there to do at Oxford off-campus? What's the city like?

From what I've seen of England, there's London and there's sheep. I hope that's an unfair generalization
patch[1].gif

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kohan
Now I think about it, what is there to do at Oxford off-campus? What's the city like?

From what I've seen of England, there's London and there's sheep. I hope that's an unfair generalization
patch[1].gif

University parks, live music on the Cowley Rd, Punting, getting involved in rugby / rowing, and LOTS OF DRINKING.

There is no such thing as on / off campus. Oxford University is made up of a bunch of different colleges located around town which have their own grounds.

K

Kohan

Reaction score
VKK3450, it seems like you know Oxford pretty well. Did you read there? When/what for?

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brasenose College, Masters, matricuated 2006

K

Cashmoney

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kohan

Acting like an ass does seem to be the international sign of the American abroad, doesn't it?

I usually stand up for America on pretty much everything. But when it comes to acting like assholes when you're abroad, nobody, but nobody, compares to the Brits, the English especially.

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cashmoney
I usually stand up for America on pretty much everything. But when it comes to acting like assholes when you're abroad, nobody, but nobody, compares to the Brits, the English especially.

+1. Americans can stick out, but they are generally good natured. With the rise of the cheap airlines Brits abroad are a trainwreck.

K

Kohan

Reaction score
Haha, that's nice to hear. I'll keep a low profile anyway, but good to know we're not the worst.

I once almost got pushed off an Incan temple by a camera-wielding Japanese tourist, though I think that's happened to everybody. Must they throw elbows?

black cat

Reaction score
Hi,
I haven't really posted much but I thought I'd chime in since I've been a student here for the last four years and know the city really well.

Since this is style forum I suppose I should start sartorially. It terms of casual dress Oxford is much like any other university so you can pretty much wear whatever you please, no one really cares at all. I guess people generally dress on a day-to-day level more nicely in Oxford than some places but, yeah, there is nothing particularly unexpected. There are however loads more opportunities to dress up than anywhere else. Depending on your college you will definitely get quite a few opportunities for black tie, summer cocktail parties, boat club drinks etc. So you can have loads of fun with all these events. So far this term, now we're in week three, there have already been at least 5 different college parties with varying degrees of formal dress code and some people really do make loads of effort with their clothes. It's definitely somewhere you can be pretty dandyish without attracting any negative attention.

In terms of actually buying clothes Oxford isn't all that great. My personal love (due to a student budget I guess) is second hand clothing and there really isn't much, a decent antique market on Thurs with some vintage clothes stalls, some okay shops on the cowley road and the usual smattering of charity shops. Obviously if you have money there is Ede and Ravenscroft for beautiful suits and Ducker and Sons for expensive shoes.

Depending on what you're into Oxford is a really amazing place, as was mentioned there are pretty great music venues, loads of pubs, some lovely little restaurants. Just don't get too bogged down with all the terrible chain stuff in the centre...

Anyway, if you want some tips on fun places to hang out just PM me and I'd be happy to help out (especially if you're into music), or I dunno, if you just want some general advice. It really is one of the best cities in the world, especially in the summer, so you should have an amazing term.

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by black cat
Hi,
I haven't really posted much but I thought I'd chime in since I've been a student here for the last four years and know the city really well.

Since this is style forum I suppose I should start sartorially. It terms of casual dress Oxford is much like any other university so you can pretty much wear whatever you please, no one really cares at all. I guess people generally dress on a day-to-day level more nicely in Oxford than some places but, yeah, there is nothing particularly unexpected. There are however loads more opportunities to dress up than anywhere else. Depending on your college you will definitely get quite a few opportunities for black tie, summer cocktail parties, boat club drinks etc. So you can have loads of fun with all these events. So far this term, now we're in week three, there have already been at least 5 different college parties with varying degrees of formal dress code and some people really do make loads of effort with their clothes. It's definitely somewhere you can be pretty dandyish without attracting any negative attention.

In terms of actually buying clothes Oxford isn't all that great. My personal love (due to a student budget I guess) is second hand clothing and there really isn't much, a decent antique market on Thurs with some vintage clothes stalls, some okay shops on the cowley road and the usual smattering of charity shops. Obviously if you have money there is Ede and Ravenscroft for beautiful suits and Ducker and Sons for expensive shoes.

Depending on what you're into Oxford is a really amazing place, as was mentioned there are pretty great music venues, loads of pubs, some lovely little restaurants. Just don't get too bogged down with all the terrible chain stuff in the centre...

Anyway, if you want some tips on fun places to hang out just PM me and I'd be happy to help out (especially if you're into music), or I dunno, if you just want some general advice. It really is one of the best cities in the world, especially in the summer, so you should have an amazing term.

You can roll up to Bicester Village and take advantage of deals when they are on.

Restaurants I kind of disagree on. Decent food in Oxford is not the norm.

K

black cat

Reaction score
Originally Posted by VKK3450
Restaurants I kind of disagree on. Decent food in Oxford is not the norm.

K

Oh I agree that it's not the norm but that doesn't mean there aren't good ones about. For instance Edammame is a fantastic cheap family run Japanese restaurant, Sojos is a great Chinese and recently got recommended in the Times as one of the best in England (not quite sure it's that good but still), and I can think of other small places dotted about. Sure it's not a culinary mecca but even on the cheap I can think of a decent option in most cuisines...

I've never actually made it to Bicester, even outlet prices are a bit steep for someone used to charity shops/vintage but I guess I'll try and make it there sometime.

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by black cat
Oh I agree that it's not the norm but that doesn't mean there aren't good ones about. For instance Edammame is a fantastic cheap family run Japanese restaurant, Sojos is a great Chinese and recently got recommended in the Times as one of the best in England (not quite sure it's that good but still), and I can think of other small places dotted about. Sure it's not a culinary mecca but even on the cheap I can think of a decent option in most cuisines...

I've never actually made it to Bicester, even outlet prices are a bit steep for someone used to charity shops/vintage but I guess I'll try and make it there sometime.

Yea, I didnt starve.

Chiang Mai, Pierre Vics, Branca, and a few others are pretty decent, but overall I was more concerned with drinking than eating.

K

Kohan

Reaction score
Thanks for the info, black cat, great to get a current student's perspective. You mentioned music scenes... PM sent!

Good to hear there are some decent restaurants. Students eat largely on a meal plan, yes? Is that applicable to any local places, or just college dining halls? Is university food itself any good?

And I was not yet aware of outlet shopping in the vicinity.... This does not bode well for my finances, especially with the dollar trading $1.63 against the pound. I suppose I can just eat sparingly. Must have drinking money, after all.

With regards to the formal dress occasions: Should I seriously bring my tuxedo along? I hadn't given it any thought, but it seems like there is real applicability for it. Also, to what extent should I bring suits and the like?

I.e, how can I most-efficiently pack for Hilary and Trinity term?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads