• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Studying at Oxford, what should I know?

Kohan

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm going to be studying abroad at Oxford University in the spring, and would rather not stick out like a sore thumb -- or get caught off-guard.

So, what do I need to know? How do people dress, how do they behave, and how do I avoid moments of Yank stupidity?

Thanks very much, all help is appreciated.

Best,

K

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Study abroad?

Buy lots of Oxford clothing from the shop in Broad Street and wear it everywhere.

K

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't sweat it. As an American you'll stick out no matter what. Just don't be an asshole and all will be fine.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
Who's the fat guy in your avatar?

That's not you?

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
Who's the fat guy in your avatar?

A squirrel

K

Kohan

Reaction score
I don't yet know which college I will be enrolled in, but I'm studying urban social geography and sociology.

Acting like an ass does seem to be the international sign of the American abroad, doesn't it? Rest assured, I plan on doing no harm to the stars and stripes. That having been said, there are cultural differences everywhere.

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you are only there for a term or two I wouldn't worry about it. OX is full of foreigners and you won't stick out. If you want to "fit in" skip baseball caps, athletic shoes, and the like.

If you are going in spring you will probably attend at least one May ball. Take a dinner jacket / tuxedo if you have one. Worst comes to worst you can rent. Balls are like a formal wear keg party, so don't spend tons of cash.

You prob wont matriculate, so don't worry about cap / gown / white tie.

Don't spend all your time with other study abroad kids..

Learn how rounds work.

Have fun.

K

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about it too much, VKK3450's advise is sound. I didn't go to Oxford, but where I did go to Uni we had many American students and whilst we mocked them for being brash asrse-holes we didn't mean it and it is probably unavoidable and everyone got along fine. If you are still worried, which you don't need to be, many universities have a guide for foreign students, sometimes they even have a guide aimed at American students. It might be an official thing done by the university or from the Union, so have a look at the Uni's various websites and you might find something. If you are really concerned call them and ask for one. If you have any specific questions you could try posting here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/ which is an all UK uni forum, not much experience with it and it always seemed a bit stupid to me, but who knows. Oxford probably has its own forum, official or otherwise, where you can ask questions too. If you are not used to drinking, as many Americans coming to study in the UK are not, take it slow the first time. You don't want to be the guy that threw up on the dance floor at 9 o'clock at the opening ball.

cimabue

Reaction score
One doesn't study at Oxford, old boy, one reads. All me tutors at Sheffield wuz Oxbridge, so I'm sorted.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cimabue
One doesn't study at Oxford, old boy, one reads.

Isn't that if you're specifically studying for a degree--"reading Greats" and so forth? I have a sense that the OP is not doing this, just sort of a visiting thing for Trinity term. No offense meant to the OP if he is in fact reading for a degree.

To the OP: Just dress and behave decently and you'll be fine. Just from visiting the website of my old college, I have a sense there is much less difference between Oxford and most American universities than there used to be.

Kohan

Reaction score
Thanks all, some good stuff here I hadn't known.

I'm really not too worried, just want to be as prepared as I can so my attention can be focused where it matters.

I was curious about daily attire though, as a friend who studied -- pardon, read -- there a little while back commented that everyone dressed much more nicely day-to-day than any American university she had seen.

Then again, students here wear shapeless jeans and northface fleeces like it's our uniform...

But realistically, trousers+oxford shirt+sweater = acceptable day-to-day?

(I figure the bowties can be for special occasions
bigstar[1].gif
)

Oh, and I'll be there for the Hilary and Trinity terms.

Again, thanks all.

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
No, dress is pretty average student garb. Of course there will be one or two who dress up, but these are the exceptions. In a city with all sorts, from Punks, Goths to students who may run around in their academic gear or even cycle in it, you don't really have to worry about sticking out.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads