• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to buy a suit?

rox88

Reaction score
I've never bought a suit. How do you do it?
Do you find something you like online then go to a local store and try and find something similar?
Or do stores/tailors have so many choices you can find one when you get tehre?

oroy38

Reaction score
1. Buy a plane ticket to London.
2. Take a Cab (or Underground) to Savile Row.
3. Walk into one of the many bespoke shops.
4. Have a suit made for you.

Alternatively,
Go to a decent menswear store (not Men's Wearhouse), get measured, try on several suits of different styles, find which style/cut looks best on you, buy it, have it tailored.

Then invest in a good pair of shoes.

It's very possible that you will not buy a suit on your first trip. Or even your second or third. Check out several stores before you make a decision.

rox88

Reaction score
What if I'm not looking for a traditional suit, but more of a trendy, brad pitt type look suit?
Would I find these in a menswear store too?

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rox88
What if I'm not looking for a traditional suit, but more of a trendy, brad pitt type look suit?

Go to Tom Ford in NYC.
biggrin.gif

Seriously though, unless you have unlimited money, go to a good menswear store. It would help to know where you live and what your budget is. A good suit can cost a lot of money. Also, don't settle for something that looks and fits bad, regardless of what the salesperson says or if there's nothing else in the store. Years ago I could never find a suit that fit me right, but that was because I was looking in the wrong stores.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Where else would you find them, a womenswear store?

gsugsu

Reaction score
I've never bought a suit. How do you do it?
Do you find something you like online then go to a local store and try and find something similar?
Or do stores/tailors have so many choices you can find one when you get tehre?

What are you buying the suit for - is it for rare occasions (weddings or funerals) or will it be worn on a regular basis? Are you starting to build a suit wardrobe or will this be a unique piece? This is important to know as it will guide your selection as to style, fabric and colour so that you will have a garment that best fits your needs.

Use the search function to do some research on the qualities of a well-made suit. You will also find good information on how to get value for your money. Take the time to read up on how the price of a suit is not always related to its quality; are you paying for a well-made suit or a designer's brand. There is also information on how a suit should fit to help you when you start to try suits on.

Where are you located - are there a selection of menswear shops in and around where you live? Have yourself measured there or by a tailor to find out your "size". This will help you when you begin your search. Not knowing your measurements may mean that you are trying on suits that are too small or too large. That said, understand that you may have to size up/down depending on the maker and the cut but at least you will know if you are in the ball park.

What is your budget? There is no sense looking at suits that are beyond your means. However, don't just think of retail prices. Review postings in the B & S to see the typical pricing of suits you may be interested in. There is also great information on SF regarding sales around the country and online. If you live in a location with a dearth of quality menswear shops SF can give you access to suits you don't have at home. EBay provides an overload of suits that are available to you but unless you do your research beware because your "great deal" on a name brand suit may turn out to be a fake or from the last century.

If you do your research then refine your knowledge by asking informed questions on SF it will help guide you in your quest.

Good luck.

rox88

Reaction score
I'm in Winnipeg Manitoba. There aren't a lot of Men stores here, but there are a few smaller tailor type men stores.

I'm looking for a suit that I'd probably wear only once or twice a year.

Thanks for the help so far. And thanks for the link to the other post.

mimile

Reaction score
I'm in Winnipeg Manitoba. There aren't a lot of Men stores here, but there are a few smaller tailor type men stores.

I'm looking for a suit that I'd probably wear only once or twice a year.

Thanks for the help so far. And thanks for the link to the other post.

Rox88,
Do these tailors do bespoke suits or not? If they do and you trust one of them enough, you can try to go bespoke.
Otherwise: you have 2 choices: made to measure or ready to wear. I think, but I am not sure, that Holt and Renfrew in Toronto have a MTM service in Toronto. You can also try stores like Moore's for RTW, if you have one in Winnipeg. They have very small, average and very big sizes. Be sure to choose a suit made of wool, navy or charcoal color, single breasted. Their prices are in the 300-400$ range. For a use of once or twice a year, I would not pay 3000 $ for a suit.

needshoehelp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wait. You've been a member here for over two years (Join date: Jun. 2007) and you're asking this?

rox88

Reaction score
Never needed a suit so never read about them. Figured it's time I have one on hand.
mimile , I think a couple of the tailors are apparently pretty good, but I have a feeling they may be a bit expensive.

mimile

Reaction score
Never needed a suit so never read about them. Figured it's time I have one on hand.
mimile , I think a couple of the tailors are apparently pretty good, but I have a feeling they may be a bit expensive.

If it is above your budget you can still try the other solutions. Amazingly enough, there are some good suits in Moore's.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads