• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What did you eat last night for dinner?

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roikins
Wedding over the weekend had some great shortrib and an open bar, but by 1am, I needed a booze relieving snack, so I walked over to the just opened Burger Bar outpost in SF since it was only a few blocks away and still open. Decided to have one of the boozey milkshakes which was reallllllly sweet with a ton of chocolate syrup. And I also decided to get the Rossini burger since I had one in Vegas and because of SF's stupid upcoming foie gras ban. Hubert was walking around though, making sure everything was okay.

9134_641009464733_216316_36711473_1090009_n.jpg

9134_641009559543_216316_36711479_4027332_n.jpg

SF is going to ban foie gras? What a ******* joke. Linkage?

This goddamned ban is following me. First Chicago, now San Francisco. Glad I'm up here in bumblefuck.

Roikins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
SF is going to ban foie gras? What a ******* joke. Linkage?

This goddamned ban is following me. First Chicago, now San Francisco. Glad I'm up here in bumblefuck.

You're bringing it with you... BASTARD!

Well, I meant it as being included in the CA ban, but some SF supervisors have been trying to push for an earlier, city-wide ban before the state's 2012 ban.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
CA is banning foie?

frown.gif

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
4025569218_5002dc320c.jpg
Pork Belly Stew Filipino style, sweet and sour crepine and white bean ragout @ the Restaurant Diana in Mexico City inside the St. Regis. Not too impressed with the effort....the street tacos were 100x better.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
In 2012 thanks to the Governator.

Hmmm.... I don't know the wording of the CA thing, but in Chicago, it was illegal to "sell" foie gras, but there was nothing about "serving" foie gras. So a lot of restaurants began having possible foie amuse-bouches, or any VIP table got "comped" a foie dish, or something like that. There are ways around these rules, I hope.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In 2012 thanks to the Governator.

******* pinkopublican!

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
******* communists.

I've always wanted to say that in a non CE thread.

Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
******* pinkopublican!

+1. Ain't Arnie a Republican?
I figured Repubs would be all for foie. A) The debate usually boils down to whether or not it's fair or harmful to the bird, and we all know that Republicans get enjoyment out of torturing brown-skins, so why not geese and ducks? and B) I thought those guys were all for individual rights and whatnot.

Roikins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmmm.... I don't know the wording of the CA thing, but in Chicago, it was illegal to "sell" foie gras, but there was nothing about "serving" foie gras. So a lot of restaurants began having possible foie amuse-bouches, or any VIP table got "comped" a foie dish, or something like that. There are ways around these rules, I hope.

Yep, I think that's what lots of people were saying they would do in CA too -- give it for "free" with the meal. I think there is wording about restaurants not being able to "buy" foie gras, so maybe they'll just be "BYOFG" restaurants. I have family in Nevada, so at least I can get a foie airdrop if I really need some post-2012 foie-pocalypse.

+1. Ain't Arnie a Republican?
I figured Repubs would be all for foie. A) The debate usually boils down to whether or not it's fair or harmful to the bird, and we all know that Republicans get enjoyment out of torturing brown-skins, so why not geese and ducks? and B) I thought those guys were all for individual rights and whatnot.

There's a reason Repubs call him "Benedict Ahnold."

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Do you know what this would mean for Sonoma Foie Gras? Would they still be able to produce and sell to people outside of the state?
Their product is wildly inconsistent compared to Hudson Valley, but it'd still be sad to see the company go down b/c of this.

Roikins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you know what this would mean for Sonoma Foie Gras? Would they still be able to produce and sell to people outside of the state? Their product is wildly inconsistent compared to Hudson Valley, but it'd still be sad to see the company go down b/c of this.
Heh, I was told that was the reason Keane switched back to Hudson Valley. Yep, it looks like either he'll have to start selling the ducks for food or shut down:
The Compromise To help push the foie gras bill through the California legislature, lawmakers had to soften the blow to Guillermo Gonzalez’s Sonoma Foie Gras—a gesture that likely had as much to do with politics as with business, since closing down a Salvadorian immigrant’s business could have had ramifications among California’s large Hispanic voting bloc. That is no doubt the reason why the new law includes a 7 ½-year phase out period before it takes effect. While the delay is unfortunate, the legislation would have likely gone down in flames had the grace period not been included. Yes, the ban on foie gras production and sales will take longer than animal advocates would like, but the end result will be the same: California will join an expanding humane community that wants to pull foie gras from the menu permanently.
Here's the actual bill. This bill, commencing July 1, 2012, prohibits a person from force feeding a bird for the purpose of enlarging the birds liver beyond normal size, and prohibits a product from being sold in California if it is the result of force feeding of a bird. I guess no ortolan either.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics