• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gitman Brothers Vintage

Jpreme87

Reaction score
^ I need a M white ox!

podpod

Reaction score
The Roden Gray Shop-in-shop is a must checkout if you guys are in the Vancouver area. There's a great selection of shirts from Gitman Vintage.

nonissue

Reaction score
I emailed ryan at roden yesterday, and he said they are gonna do a blog update on gitman tomorrow.

tonio028

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by videogeek
I thought that was the consensus too, and maybe it is for some of their shirts. The "slim" oxford I bought isn't very slim though. It's not huge, but it does need tailoring.

Which oxford did you get? I think they're quite slim at least for me and the fit is consistent with the plaid I posted earlier. Here's a fit pic of me in the white that I wore yesterday:

100_1586.jpg

Originally Posted by daft
excellent fit tonio28. for me personally, the only problem gitman vintage has is the length of the shirt. an inch or two shorter and it would be perfect for me.

What's your height daft? I thought they are a bit longer than I'd like perhaps for wearing casually untucked, but I think the slimness of their fit balances that out. If they were like a classic/loose fitting cut with that length, then I'd agree. Besides, when they're tucked they're spot on for me I think.

Originally Posted by wagthesam
After tailoring, taking in the sides and darting:

The cut for me isnt all that great, I think my tailor just followed the original cut and took in a consistent 1 inch from each side.

Wow. You did all that to this shirt and it still has that fit? Did you order a size too big to start? If not, then it sounds like these just aren't for you or your tailor didn't really do that much to get the specs your looking for.

Spatlese

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Picked up two of these tonight from Roden Gray (I was specifically after the basic blue oxford, but also wound up getting a plaid).

Met Rob and Mike. Good guys and a fine operation. I've concluded that Gitman Vintage fits me better than just about any other brand without tailoring.

videogeek

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tonio028
Which oxford did you get? I think they're quite slim at least for me and the fit is consistent with the plaid I posted earlier. Here's a fit pic of me in the white that I wore yesterday:

Got a light blue in Large from Carlton's: http://www.carltonsapparel.com/index...&categoryID=30

The shoulders, sleeves, and collar are all perfect... so I don't think an M would be better.

wagthesam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tonio028
Wow. You did all that to this shirt and it still has that fit? Did you order a size too big to start? If not, then it sounds like these just aren't for you or your tailor didn't really do that much to get the specs your looking for.

I ordered the size that would match up my neck and shoulders/sleeves.

The chest was too big, I am a weird fit for shirts. I think the problem is that I'm 6'3" and the shirt is too short. It starts flaring too soon.

ahk1979

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wagthesam
I ordered the size that would match up my neck and shoulders/sleeves.

The chest was too big, I am a weird fit for shirts. I think the problem is that I'm 6'3" and the shirt is too short. It starts flaring too soon.

I have the same problem with alot of off the rack shirts. I tried a Gitman on in medium and it was pretty huge in the chest and shoulders, but the right length in the body and arms. Small was too short, but right in the chest and shoulders.

I have the same problem with BOO.

Our Legacy shirts in small fit me perfect. Slim in the shoulder and chest but long enough in the arms. I think they are made for the tall skinny Swedes.

wagthesam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For me its different. I have a 36 chest and my s2s is 18" (I'm asian so I have a different build than all of you, I'm even a freak by asian standards as I'm 6'3"). Thus I have medium shoulders, a small chest, and the length of a XL shirt.

RRL shirts fit me, I buy then in large then slim them down. They are actually pretty good this way. Its major surgery though, I can only see myself doing it for a few core oxfords (white, blue, pink).

Warren G.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Damn that's a pretty nutty stats.

I really want to try out some Gitman...but I'm between a small and medium. The Medium shoulder would be too big for me, and the Small might be tight around the chest... I might pull the trigger one day or soon..

wagthesam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Actually BOO M would be perfect for me if it was longer. I have heard of long BOO's but have never seen them.

ToruOkada

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Warren G.
Damn that's a pretty nutty stats. I really want to try out some Gitman...but I'm between a small and medium. The Medium shoulder would be too big for me, and the Small might be tight around the chest... I might pull the trigger one day or soon..
Yeah, exactly the same here. (I think we've mentioned that we're about the same size though) Seriously though, what's the deal with the huge jump in p2p between small and medium? 2 inches is pretty drastic..

hypostatic

Reaction score
Just got my L oxford in from Context - it fits incredibly well, in fact, it's possibly the best fitting shirt I own. Unfortunately, it was described as 'red,' but anyone I've asked (before I even suggest a colour) says it's magenta/purple, or at best, pinkish/purple. I wanted red, and even called to confirm that it was! I don't want to go through the hassle of having to pay for shipping for the return, and then make a customs claim for the Canadian taxes... oh well, serves me right for ordering online.

As an aside, who makes the best red (striped or non) oxford?

pg600rr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do all of the shirts fit pretty much the same from different fabric/pattern? Going by the measurements on Context I think I need to go with a medium, however for how slim everyone keeps saying these are, the Context medium measurements sound a bit large....

Tagged Size Shoulder to Shoulder Pit to Pit Sleeve Length Length

S 17 19 24.5 30
M 18.5 21 25.5 31.5
L 19.25 22.5 26 32

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads