• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

3-piece suit to business meeting?

SirSuturesALot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by the.chikor
I work in the legal field and a wear them frequently. I never have had a negative comment, in fact, quite the contrary. But, in other lines of work, it may not be accepted so graciously.

Like a peer told me one time, if you act like a jack-ass, it doesn't matter how well you are dressed! So, I think it may only be ostentacious or over the top if you act that way.

How many years have you been a lawyer?

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have 2 three-piece suits I wear from time to time. No one at work even raises an eyebrow.
I am beyond caring if anyone did. I got them all used to seeing me 'dress up' for work a long time ago. If you own one, wear it like you don't care. Be approachable in your demeanor.
That alone can neautralize any 'stuffy' perceptions by others. You're having fun today, nothing more.

Gent

Reaction score
Originally Posted by reubencahn
I have several 3 piece suits where the vest back color approximates the suit color while the lining, including the vest lining, is brighter.
Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff
It's the case that the back of the vest matches the rest of the lining, irrespective of the pattern/color of the lining.
I'm having conflicting opinions here, folks. I don't know whose opinion to trust on here yet - no offence meant to either poster.

AvariceBespoke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by reubencahn
Also, vests look like crap if the suit has belted trousers.

As oppposed to suspenders I assume you mean? I agree trousers look much better w/ straps but why do they look like crap w/ belt? I don't find that to be true at all on my suit.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gent
I'm having conflicting opinions here, folks. I don't know whose opinion to trust on here yet - no offence meant to either poster.

If you are having a suit made, it is up to you to have it made how you want. That means that you can have the vest back made from a different colour to the rest of the lining, or the same as the rest of the lining, according to your wishes.

However, having said that, I think that Film Noir Buff's description is by far the more common - the vest back is typically made from the same material as the rest of the lining.

Another option, just to confuse things further, is to have the vest back made from the same fabric as the vest front. I would have no hesitation in having this done, particularly if I was having a suit made in a relatively plain fabric (ie no pinstripes or chalkstripes). This would then remove any uncertainty about colourful linings.

JohnGalt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sifl
Being well put together is great and respectful of the other meeting attendees. However, some clothing choices can be seen as ostentatious or "over the top", correct? I contend that in many professions these days, a three-piece suit would be seen as ostentatious and an attempt at showing off, rather than an attempt at being well groomed and respectful.

A 3-piece suit as ostentatious? Are you located in the midwest by chance?

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sifl \t\t\t\t\t \t\t\t\t \t\t\t\t Being well put together is great and respectful of the other meeting attendees. However, some clothing choices can be seen as ostentatious or "over the top", correct? I contend that in many professions these days, a three-piece suit would be seen as ostentatious and an attempt at showing off, rather than an attempt at being well groomed and respectful.
Originally Posted by JohnGalt
Heh. I suppose you never now where people are coming from. My off the rack assumption is that they are in a big city in one of the traditional professions. I mean, if you're from rural Tennessee, you might be considered a dandy if you wear a clean tee every day. I would find it hard to believe someone like that would be asking about three piece suits though. I hardly even notice a vest with a dark suit. If it's that much of a surprise to see a vest with a suit in your area, then it's probably also shocking to be seen in a jacket and tie.

sifl

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JohnGalt

No. I'm merely trying to help the OP look appropriate and professional, but without raising eyebrows in the process. No reason for the iDandies to get their bunny-printed panties in a bunch. Some love to "be seen" and be the center of attention; something that can be accomplished is many different ways, such as wearing sausage-casing-tight suits, "fun" linings, "creative" ties or a three-piece suit when no one else in the office ever wears one. That said, if the OP does work in an office populated by such iDandies, then he should most certainly emulate his brethren and bosses, if he desires so.

Mr. Pink

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gent

I chose to have my suits made this way, but I don't know that it's "right." It's just what I wanted.

Originally Posted by AvariceBespoke
As oppposed to suspenders I assume you mean? I agree trousers look much better w/ straps but why do they look like crap w/ belt? I don't find that to be true at all on my suit.

Perhaps "crap" is unfair. But when I've seen vested suits with belted trousers, I've found the results less than satisfactory for a couple of reasons. I think vest needs to end at or above where one bends at the waist. It also needs to cover the waistband of the pants. But belted trousers generally hang from that same point where the vest should end. So the vest either has to be too long to cover fully the waistband of the trousers or the top of the trousers is constantly being revealed at the edge of the vest. There is also a tendency of the vest to catch on the belt buckle. Even where this doesn't happen, the belt interrupts the smooth line of the vest.

coltboy75

Reaction score
Wearing a three piece today. I have received several compliments by clients. I like the way it keeps the tie in place and doesn't show a wrinkled shirt after a long day.

AvariceBespoke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by coltboy75
Wearing a three piece today. I have received several compliments by clients. I like the way it keeps the tie in place and doesn't show a wrinkled shirt after a long day.

Agree, My favorite aspect of a waist coat is how it hides the shirt where it is tucked in, looks a lot cleaner

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads