• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Chronic insomnia

adkin

Reaction score
Maybe you should simply try another stronger medicine. I'm sure it will help you.

For example I drink special calming tea before sleeping.

But to be completely sure that new medication is safe for your body you should consult with a doctor.

By the way you can do it here

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tagutcow
I tried valerian and melatonin years ago, and found I developed tolerances to them very quickly. As in: they were only half as effective the second night I took them, and a quarter as effective the third, etc.

Like rayuela said, cut back on caffiene. Certainly, no caffiene after noon.

As for perscription drugs, I've had pretty good experiences with Trazadone. I've been taking it for maybe three years and it's still every effective. Whatever you do, avoid Zyprexa/Seroquel like the plague. Oh, and propofol as well.

Those are neuroleptics. No one should take them to sleep.

Unbreakable

Reaction score
I can't say for everyone else but Ive found out a lot of my insomnia is from thinking too damn much, worrying over petty **** that I can't control. So a clear conscious helps me sleep a tad bit better.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Waking up in the middle of the night, for as much as an hour or two, is normal. Before electric light nearly all people did this. This habit should not lead you to think something is wrong with your sleeping habits.

Get up and do something productive if you don't enjoy waiting for sleep to return. If you don't want to get out of bed, consider praying, talking, or ******* to pass the time.

Nathaniel72

Reaction score
Originally Posted by coldarchon
if you have chronic insomnia no medication will help you. you have to change your habits and learn how to relax. step one is to learn to relax your muscles in your face while you probably think about your day. step two is to create a rite and not to think about your day. step 3 is to fall asleep wiithout even thinking ..

She's right, I found out that I can't fall asleep easily or sleep for more than four or five hours if I don't maintain the proper evening habits when it comes to food and entertainment... I've also found that one drink and a proper doobie works wonders for relaxation.
smile.gif

Stylin-1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cadillac37
Ambien really does work. Go to your doctor.

It's a band-aid. And it's not effective at helping you stay asleep.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
xanax.

redhills

Reaction score
I take SleepWell and have no complaints about my sleeping.

Have you tried this medication?

Ludeykrus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tagutcow
I tried valerian and melatonin years ago, and found I developed tolerances to them very quickly. As in: they were only half as effective the second night I took them, and a quarter as effective the third, etc.

Like rayuela said, cut back on caffiene. Certainly, no caffiene after noon.

I've had an opposite experience with valerian and melatonin. I've been on both sporadically yet steadily for quite a while now, and have not experienced any tolerance development. I take one pill of valerian and one to two mg's of melatonin and sleep like a baby. The melatonin puts me to sleep, and the valerian ensures a deep sleep.

Other than sleeping aids, I've had best results with cutting out caffeine after 4PM and by exercising hard throughout the day. Being naturally physically tired at the end of the day gives me the best rest.

bimmernate

Reaction score
Hey its 4:42am, I should be asleep...so maybe yeah I do.
I will say that Melatonin actually helps me alot. Gives me some awesome crazy dreams too, dont know why...

Oxnard

Reaction score
I had chronic insomnia for years throughout highschool, at the time regardless of exercise, relaxation, diet, I couldn't get over it. Really it was just one of those things that, over time, kind of went away on its own. Melatonin pills can help a lot, I still take one every now and then if I have a hard time falling asleep. The other great medication for insomnia that I have found is muscle relaxers, i.e. cyclobenzaprine(flexeril) or carisoprodol(somas). Muscle relaxers are really great for insomnia, at least they are for me, as they relax the body and can really help you fall asleep even if you just take them at night. They aren't narcotic like benzodiazepenes(xanax etc.) or painkillers or anything like that, so I have been to take them for years on and off without any dependency problems or physical side effects whatsoever. Oh and by the way **** Ambien, that **** gives roughly 5-10% of the people who take it severe hallucinations, myself included, which is a side effect that they didn't even officially start listing until about five years ago.

coldarchon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Oxnard
Muscle relaxers are really great for insomnia, at least they are for me, as they relax the body and can really help you fall asleep even if you just take them at night.

how was your experience with jacobson's progressive muscle relaxation?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads