1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Puchases through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

OTC Socks for the large calved gentleman

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by JimBad05, Sep 10, 2018.

1. JimBad05

JimBad05 Member

First time poster here. I've been browsing and I know the consensus is that OTC socks are the way to go if you want them to stay up. I've been trying several high-end brands, and as someone with large (19") calves, even OTC socks don't necessarily stay up.

I've been trying different brands (all Merino as we're heading into colder weather) and not having much luck. Below is a list of what I've tried so far;

• Allen Edmonds Merino
    XL - Stay up, but not formal (has branding and colored toe), not fine knit - $20

• Boardroom Socks
    Similar to Allen Edmonds but entirely solid, cheaper, one size - $15

• Kirby Allison's Hanger Project (Merino) - all $45
    10.5 - Fell down by the time I reached the stairs on my way in
    11.0 - Fell down by 9 AM
    11.5 - TBD
    12.0 - TBD

• Pantherella Merino
    Large - Left fell down once, sagged through day

• Mazarin
    US 10-11, largest - TBD

Has anyone else with large calves had trouble finding socks that fit? Do you just buy the biggest size possible, even though availability may be limited and the heel may be near your ankle? Do you use something like a sock garter even with OTC socks? Have you given up on OTC socks altogether and settled for mid-calf?

2. Marc Voorhees

Marc Voorhees Senior Member

I have decently sized calves, Paul stuart has worked for me (group sizing I think) as have Brooks Brothers (group sizing for sure)

Also, have you considered midcalf socks and sock braces? I have been wearing this set up for 10 years now for 90% of my sock wearing days, so much easier and extremely comfortable .

3. paxonus

paxonus Senior Member

You might also try Pedemeia. Very reasonably priced. I have several pair and they work well for me, although I don't have particularly large calves. But for the price, they are worth trying.

4. JimBad05

JimBad05 Member

I've considered it, especially for summer. I've never used braces before. Do socks tend to develop holes where you attach the clips? Do you need to vary the clip location a little each time?

I see that! Not a huge selection in wool, but at that price point you can't have everything. I'll add them to the list.

5. Marc Voorhees

Marc Voorhees Senior Member

In 10 years I am willing to bet I have never clipped my cocks in exactly the same place :) that would be quite a feat! That having been said, my heels/toes always worn out well before I develop anything resembling a hole where I clip my socks :) I would recommend trying it, I absolutely love them

6. Duke Silver

Duke Silver Senior Member

Try Marcoliani. My calves aren’t as big as yours but I’ve had similar issues and the Marcoliani ones have been far and away the best fit for me. They never fall down. I particularly love their “boot sock” which I wear not just with boots but loafers as well. They’re more comfortable than athletic socks although they may be a bit thick to wear in more formal settings. Their regular merino offerings are a close second in comfort and sound like they might be more what you’re looking for.

7. jonathanS

jonathanS Senior Member

Legit, I laughed so hard at this.
    "
    10.5 - Fell down by the time I reached the stairs on my way in
    11.0 - Fell down by 9 AM

Large - Left fell down once, sagged through day"

I used to have good luck with Bresciani but those fell too after my calves got bigger. I resolved this by avoiding wearing socks when possible, & wearing loafers. Let me know what the findings are.

8. WillingToLearn

WillingToLearn Distinguished Member

try dapper classics. some of the best OTC plain wool socks i have - i am tall with big calves (6'4") and they are long enough to fully cover calf even after normal wash and warm dry and they stay up. limited colors, but great.

9. DavidLane

DavidLane Distinguished Member

My best socks are Bresciani Linen OTC size 11.5. These are the only ones that don't move at all for me, even after washing.

DL-

10. JimBad05

JimBad05 Member

I don't know about that.. I picked up some Eastport Boat Shoes from Allen Edmonds this summer.. the leather is pretty thick initially, so I developed pretty bad blisters after the first wearing. I still need to break them in more, but that's a project for next summer.

Otherwise, no show socks (Ninjasox) and low cut athletic socks work just great! They're just not appropriate for dress wear.

Will try, thanks!

I will definitely try Bresciani for warm weather (cotton) socks. Unfortunately I haven't found many of their offerings in wool. They do have a few wool varieties on Mes Chausseutes Rouges, but the wool colors offered are pretty... interesting.

11. DavidLane

DavidLane Distinguished Member

FWIW I can’t stand the cotton. I love the linen and wool, merino, lambswool. Check out Drake’s, Berg & Berg (L) and O’Connell’s stared carrying sized socks too.

DL-

12. erakettu

erakettu Member

Calf 16" (circumference), shoe uk 7.5

Bresciani M-size never dropped, but is a tad too large on foot, sometimes the heel part (different color) is visible above shoe. Yet to try the s-size

13. WillingToLearn

WillingToLearn Distinguished Member

i find many sock makers dont adequately adjust the length of the calf tube to reflect foot size. if you have a big foot, the calf length should be quite a bit longer than the smaller sizes.

14. avsmusic1

avsmusic1 Distinguished Member

Do you think its an issue of length? Are they not reaching over your calf properly and therefore not staying up?

I don't wear wool socks regardless of season so I can't speak to most of the ones you're trying but I have thicker legs (never measured) and have never had an issue with OTC socks slipping down. This is an interesting one for me

15. dougdavis2909

dougdavis2909 New Member

My go-to OTC are the John W. Nordstrom brand from Nordstrom. Always stock up at the sales with the 3 packs. Great quality and have never had an issue with them falling down.