• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Red Wing Gentleman's Traveler

pete5555

Reaction score
how does the red wing gentlemans' traveler hold upi in everyday use will the boot last for years
im 5'8 will the boot look like a clowns hoe on me

jerster5

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pete5555
how does the red wing gentlemans' traveler hold upi in everyday use will the boot last for years
im 5'8 will the boot look like a clowns hoe on me

I've worn mine everyday for almost two years, and they still look great. I'm going to need to get them resoled in the next six or so months, but they are amazingly comfortable and I hate wearing anything else on my feet.

hnlax

Reaction score
cross-posted in "ask a question" thread...

thinking of getting a pair of red wing iron rangers to wear casually (and to work). i work for the government in an office job and wear buttondown shirts with ties and navy or khaki chinos and was wondering if these would be considered acceptable at the workplace.

currently wear allen edmonds almost every day, but i wanted to get a pair of boots.

thoughts?

factorial

Reaction score
^^ I think that RM Williams Craftsman, Blaxland, or Comfort Craftsman would be better if you are wearing chinos + tie. There's a good thread on those boots in Men's Clothing.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by themidship22
DSC_0054-1.jpg

A few pics of my GT's that I just beat to death.

Are these the earlier Horween GTs? Mine look nothing like this, my leather looks much stiffer or oilier

riraito

Reaction score
Hey guys, if I'm a 7.5 in Katahdin should I get a 7.5 in the 9014 D BLACK FEATHERSTONE, or a size 7?

Fidgeteer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by factorial
^^ I think that RM Williams Craftsman, Blaxland, or Comfort Craftsman would be better if you are wearing chinos + tie. There's a good thread on those boots in Men's Clothing.
And yet there's the question of foul weather and situational compromise. I work in a semi-formal environment that tends to be especially tolerant on foul days. This is particularly true during bad New York winters, when actually getting to the office on a snow day creates enough good will to allow for Timberlands, let alone upscale hunting boots. To give you an idea of what's allowed: Last year at work, I tended to wear a pair of conceptually correct but questionably crafted pseudo-Oxfords by Hugo Boss. Many people in my group (including a senior partner) stopped to admire their marriage of formality and comfort: conventional black Oxford look up top, but with a thick gray rubber heel below. This despite the fact that the other legal editor in the building does wear Allen Edmonds. I very much appreciate your calling our attention to R.M. Williams, factorial. The thing that worries me about the Blaxton and Craftsmans is that they resemble Chelsea boots, which seem a better choice for fair days than brutal winters (which certain predictors have said our next is likely to be). The color and finish of the Black Cherry GTs looks as if it it might be formal enough so long as I don't wear them more than once or twice a week. The other question is whether GTs would still look slightly dressy after a bad winter, even with copiously applied Sno-Seal. If I can get a year or two's wear out of them in-office, I won't feel terrible about relegating them to the vintage category later. The other possibility I considered were Frye Boots, in a color like Redwood and in some variation of an engineer harness or campus boot. Concealed by corduroys , certain styles look as though they might pass. (And yes, I'm ready to be shot down cheerfully for my appalling taste.)

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fidgeteer
And yet there's the question of foul weather and situational compromise. I work in a semi-formal environment that tends to be especially tolerant on foul days. This is particularly true during bad New York winters, when actually getting to the office on a snow day creates enough good will to allow for Timberlands, let alone upscale hunting boots.

To give you an idea of what's allowed: Last year at work, I tended to wear a pair of conceptually correct but questionably crafted pseudo-Oxfords by Hugo Boss. Many people in my group (including a senior partner) stopped to admire their marriage of formality and comfort: conventional black Oxford look up top, but with a thick gray rubber heel below. This despite the fact that the other legal editor in the building does wear Allen Edmonds.

I very much appreciate your calling our attention to R.M. Williams, factorial. The thing that worries me about the Blaxton and Craftsmans is that they resemble Chelsea boots, which seem a better choice for fair days than brutal winters (which certain predictors have said our next is likely to be). The color and finish of the Black Cherry GTs looks as if it it might be formal enough so long as I don't wear them more than once or twice a week.

The other question is whether GTs would still look slightly dressy after a bad winter, even with copiously applied Sno-Seal. If I can get a year or two's wear out of them in-office, I won't feel terrible about relegating them to the vintage category later.

The other possibility I considered were Frye Boots, in a color like Redwood and in some variation of an engineer harness or campus boot. Concealed by corduroys , certain styles look as though they might pass.

(And yes, I'm ready to be shot down cheerfully for my appalling taste.)

I don;t know waht all that says but these boots are not dressy. Then again you spent 40 minutes explaining how your workplace allows crappy inappropriate shoes, so I don't see why you would have a problem.

ArliHawk`

Reaction score
OT, but my wife bought me some 8138's for my birthday, and the left boot is killing my leg right above my achilles. I've only had them since Thursday, but will they break in/soften to the point that it won't bother me anymore?

OCross

Reaction score
^^ My GT's have already softened up in that area after about a week, so you should be fine (keep in mind I have never worn your exact boots). I wore extra thick wool socks to protect my feet for the first couple wears, but have found that unnecessary recently. You might want to try something similar.

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^pain at the back of the foot at break in is dependent on how the boots fit. Try to tie the laces tigher around the ankle to prevent slippage.My 8138s however never gave me any trouble.

Fidgeteer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
I don;t know waht all that says but these boots are not dressy. Then again you spent 40 minutes explaining how your workplace allows crappy inappropriate shoes, so I don't see why you would have a problem.
Apologies if that sounded long-winded. My instincts for brevity are getting beaten to death by the task of editing a monthly legal magazine. In brief: I might have a problem because of the official dress code, which only comes into play if you're brazen about breaking it. The Boss shoes were a shoo-in, crappiness notwithstanding, because work-appropriate does not always mean cultivated taste. I thought that the quality of leather and plain toe of the GTs might allow them to pass for appropriate if worn under cords, too. Bosses don't need to love them, they simply need not to find them objectionable. If you have better ideas for a winter shoe/boot that can be worn in a legal publishing environment, I'd appreciate any suggestions you might make (I'm serious). I hope to add quality and taste to the mix, however belatedly, through reading threads on this site, learning what to look for and asking stupid questions.

ArliHawk`

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SuperBobo
^^pain at the back of the foot at break in is dependent on how the boots fit. Try to tie the laces tigher around the ankle to prevent slippage.My 8138s however never gave me any trouble.

Guess my question was premature. This day, the 3rd day of wear, was the first time it didn't hurt there. The crepe sole fits great. Another question, if you would indulge me, how do the soles hold up? One comment I read on Zappo said one reviewer had to resole them yearly.

Fidgeteer

Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads