• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

3-piece suit to business meeting?

Finsen

Reaction score
If you are confident enough to wear it, instead of having the suit wearing you, you will definitely stand out from the crowd with a dash of old-school flair.

TC (Houston)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been wanting to wear my 3 piece to the office but I keep chickening out, I would get endless **** for it. I only have one colleague close to my age who wears a 3 piece regularly and oddly enough he never draws a single comment, but he's a linebacker sized black man. He keeps telling me to stop being a ***** and just wear the vest, but I don't think I can rock it with quite the same level of confidence as he does. LOL

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Nobody's ever made a fuss over what I wear, and I obviously dress like I care. That being said, everyone will laugh at you if it's not Tom Ford.

Michael Ay329

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like vests and view those who wear them for business to have good taste in clothing and to be taken more seriously...especially amongst lawyers

Thus I would encourage the OP to wear them at a business meeting

0f012c23.jpg

IMG_0996.jpg

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have four. I would absolutely never wear them to work, because I know my industry. You have to know yours and gauge not only the appropriateness of the waistcoat, but whether it is appropriate for you to wear one. These are separate things. ~ H

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Nobody's ever made a fuss over what I wear, and I obviously dress like I care. That being said, everyone will laugh at you if it's not Tom Ford.

Unless you work in the clothing biz, or live in a major metropolitan city, no one knows who Tom Ford is, nor do they know about his label.

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gent
I've actually been debating having my very first 3-piece suit made for the winter. If for nothing else, for the extra warmth. I work in a very conservative branch, but I'm fairly sure I can pull it off without looking a) fashion forward, or b) ostentatious. However, I'm thinking I'll go for a very classic darkish grey, which will probably never look over the top.

One interesting thing, really, is how a tree-piece suit really limits one's choices of lining. I am of the impression (do correct me if I'm wrong) that the back of the waistcoat tends to be in the same material as the lining of the suit. This would make flashy colours one might otherwise consider, such as red, for example, utterly ridiculous, if one ever wishes to take the jacket off.

Thoughts on this?

You just have to get used to it and of course if you can't you can have the back a different colour if you wish. Interestingly I am seing more people going for less flashy linings these days but most of the suits I make a 3 piece now. Then again I nearly always wear them.

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BareSolid
I don't know how it is in the US, but in England it is not considered 'fashion forward' to wear a regular fitting three-piece suit. In fact, such things conjure up images of Winston Churchill and Albert Pierrepoint (though I believe Churchill wore black lounge).

You live in the ghost town of coventry though not really known for it's fashion.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
Unless you work in the clothing biz, or live in a major metropolitan city, no one knows who Tom Ford is, nor do they know about his label.
Nice to see you, Jon.

laphroaig

Reaction score
Originally Posted by AvariceBespoke
views on 3 piece? how is this viewed in society for business lunch attire for serious meeting
Nothing wrong with it. Some wear it, some don't, regardless of age bracket.

BareSolid

Reaction score
Originally Posted by David Reeves
You live in the ghost town of coventry though not really known for it's fashion.

I understand by your post that New York is not known for its grammar.

Dr Huh?

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lighter fabrics (grey) are not appropriate for work at all.
Does anyone else agree with this? Why would a mid gray suit not be appropriate?

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BareSolid
I don't know how it is in the US, but in England it is not considered 'fashion forward' to wear a regular fitting three-piece suit. In fact, such things conjure up images of Winston Churchill and Albert Pierrepoint (though I believe Churchill wore black lounge).

Ditto for the Antipodes. It's considered more formal in a slightly old fashioned sort of way.

I also think they are coming back into fashion.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sator
Ditto for the Antipodes. It's considered more formal in a slightly old fashioned sort of way. I also think they are coming back into fashion.
I agree. I live in Australia, I work for the Australian government, I have a couple of three-piece suits and I wear them to work. No-one has ever laughed at me, criticised me or shunned me for my choice of dress, and nor has my career suffered any obvious impediments as a consequence of wearing a waistcoat. As long as your three-piece suit fits well, I would say that you should wear it without hesitation.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gent
One interesting thing, really, is how a tree-piece suit really limits one's choices of lining. I am of the impression (do correct me if I'm wrong) that the back of the waistcoat tends to be in the same material as the lining of the suit. This would make flashy colours one might otherwise consider, such as red, for example, utterly ridiculous, if one ever wishes to take the jacket off. Thoughts on this?
OK, consider yourself corrected.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics