• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Definitive guide to wool that won't shine

The Louche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know that I, and many others, have brought up the topic of shiny wool a few times. These conversations never seem to lead to any firm answers, however. So I'm starting this thread. I'm considering getting my first bespoke suit the next time Chan comes to DC and would like to really do my homework on fabrics before I pull the trigger so that the suit lasts for a LONG time. I am not afraid of wearing my clothes, and I like a nice patina. But shine isn't patina to me. To me, shine looks like ****.

So I ask, what suitings resist shine the best? I know that all worsteds will eventually shine, but there simply have to be some that are adept at prolonging the inevitable (how else could some people claim to have worn bespoke items for 20+ years?). Are the Super 80s and 90s that SF bigtimers like Manton, etc. claim to love for their robustness also resistant to shine? Would sharkskin make a good choice b/c it's inherent sheen will hide shine from wear?

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Louche
Are the Super 80s and 90s that SF bigtimers like Manton, etc. claim to love for their robustness also resistant to shine?

Manton's anti-shine secret...which he told me in confidence...is this: "Rub not others and neither rub yourself."

Truly, words by which to live.

- B

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Shine from wear is not a normal phenomena, unless you wear the item many, many times. A good wool is not going to get shiny for quite a few years worth of wear, if ever, at least in my experience. I would simply stay away from something like mohair which is shiny to begin with, but other than that, if you go with a good English wool, I would not worry about it getting shiny.

The Louche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
Shine from wear is not a normal phenomena, unless you wear the item many, many times. A good wool is not going to get shiny for quite a few years worth of wear, if ever, at least in my experience. I would simply stay away from something like mohair which is shiny to begin with, but other than that, if you go with a good English wool, I would not worry about it getting shiny.

So do you think that some of the older items I have got shiny because they were made of inferior wool?

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
So do you think that some of the older items I have got shiny because they were made of inferior wool?

Hard to say, hopefully one of the fabric experts will check in. I would guess yes, either that or you wear the stuff alot and rub it against desks/tables etc.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
I would guess yes, either that or you wear the stuff alot and rub it against desks/tables etc.

This is one of FNB's issues, and why he stays away from frescos.

- B

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria

- B

Paul Jheeta has developed a suit construction methodology that negates the "rub" effect on all wools. You can slide on your knees up and down a hallway with no effect.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Paul Jheeta has developed a suit construction methodology that negates the "rub" effect on all wools. You can slide on your knees up and down a hallway with no effect.

Just so that I am completely in tune with you, you are talking about Savile Row's Paul Jheeta, correct?

- B

The Louche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hard to say, hopefully one of the fabric experts will check in. I would guess yes, either that or you wear the stuff alot and rub it against desks/tables etc.

- B

Funny you two should bring these points up: I am aware of table rubbing. I always remove my coat at my desk b/c of it too. (In fact, I am jealous of Senators b/c they are usually rich and wear their coats when sitting in committe, wildly rubbing their elbows on the laqured tables.)

Oddly, my go-to blazer is made of H&S Crispaire fresco. It gets lots of wear and has no trace of shine on the elbows after almost 2 years.

Flieger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The ballers on this forum have it so hard. The more they spend on clothes, the more attractive they get and the more they are touched and rubbed and in some cases even spanked. This will show wear no matter how hardy the cloth! Oh the troubles the Voxes and Iammats of this world have to suffer. The shoes however show no wear, they walk on the bodies of the women that throw themselves at their feet. A bespoke pair lasts them a lifetime.

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just so that I am completely in tune with you, you are talking about Savile Row's Paul Jheeta, correct?

- B

Who is this Paul Jheeta you speak of now and then. Is he the Kabbaz of bespoke suits?

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Funny you two should bring these points up: I am aware of table rubbing. I always remove my coat at my desk b/c of it too. (In fact, I am jealous of Senators b/c they are usually rich and wear their coats when sitting in committe, wildly rubbing their elbows on the laqured tables.)

Oddly, my go-to blazer is made of H&S Crispaire fresco. It gets lots of wear and has no trace of shine on the elbows after almost 2 years.

I don't take off my jackets (or pants) during the day, and as far as I can tell, I have not a single jacket (or pair of pants) that has a shine.

This might be due to diet, however.

- B

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flieger
The ballers on this forum have it so hard. The more they spend on clothes, the more attractive they get and the more they are touched and rubbed and in some cases even spanked. This will show wear no matter how hardy the cloth! Oh the troubles the Voxes and Iammats of this world have to suffer. The shoes however show no wear, they walk on the bodies of the women that throw themselves at their feet. A bespoke pair lasts them a lifetime.

This is one of the finest essays I have ever read on teh StyleForvm. It captures so much in so few words.

Well done.

Originally Posted by Wes Bourne
Who is this Paul Jheeta you speak of now and then. Is he the Kabbaz of bespoke suits?

I don't think that Paul Jheeta sells underwear online, though.

I could be wrong.

- B

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't take off my jackets (or pants) during the day, and as far as I can tell, I have not a single jacket (or pair of pants) that has a shine.

This might be due to diet, however.
- B

Who's diet? Yours? Or the sheep?

The Louche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry, but I'm bumping this. Any new thoughts?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads