• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best Compact Digital Camera

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking for a small, pocket-sized camera to bring on a trip in two weeks.

It won't be used often, so around $300 or less.

So far it looks like the two best choices are the Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W290 and the Canon PowerShot SD970 IS.

Anything else I should be looking at? The Sony is about $100 less, but supposedly the image quality and LCD display are better on the Canon.

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love my Canon SD780is. Its an ultracompact but never been disattisfied with Canon Digicams...can't say the same with Sony.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I did a fair amount of research on this... Basically, I think the best compact P&S's are the Canon's. Great lenses, excellent built in software menus, etc. Basically, these guys have improved over a long history, they've got it down pat. I have an 800 series (850is?), but just bought a 790is for my mother, overall the 700,800,900 and 1000 series are all good. Sony's are flash and expensive, and from what I hear they're not really great. also very expensive to replace/fix. stick with canon, they're a camera company...

whymakemedothis

Reaction score
easy to use, good all-around: canon elph
i prefer panasonic lumix (fx37)... nicer design, material, build, wide angle lens (25mm equivalent),
and 720p video

cant go wrong with either

ill pass on anything sony-branded, thnx

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd recommend a Panasonic Lumix or a Canon. Ixnay on the Sony, they're usually not good p&s cameras.

nate10184

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just got my GF the DSC-W220. From everything I could tell there was very little difference between it and the 290. At $150 it seemed like a great deal. Will get a chance to test it out this afternoon.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Admittedly Sony is not really a camera company. And their memory cards are a pain and higher than all others, particularly SD.

But they are not crap. I have a DSC-T500 which you can now get for $219.88 at J & R.

It's a 10 megapixel and features 5x Optical Zoom / 3.5" Touchscreen / Smile Shutter / Face Detection / SteadyShotÂ
00ae.png
Double Anti-blur / PictBridge / HD video recording / Stereo mic.

If you like a touch screen, it's really not bad.

feynmix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bump. Looking for something similar to give to a teenager as a gift. Price <= $200. Any recs? Been out of the P&S scene for awhile...

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrandonEM