• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can you comment on the fit of this suit?

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bsinge50
Thanks for the advice, everyone. I can return it, or exchange it for a 38, though I think the shoulders might be too short, and the rest might be equally saggy baggy.

The suit pictured is a 40R, with these measurements:

Chest: 40"
(Measured underarm seams times two. Full chest is 44")
Shoulders: 19" (Across the back seam to seam)
Sleeve from shoulder seam: 25"
Length from top of collar: 32.5"

The 38 is this:

Chest: 38"
(Measured underarm seams times two. Full chest is 42")
Shoulders: 18.5" (Across the back seam to seam)
Sleeve from shoulder seam: 25"
Length from top of collar: 32.5"

This might fit a little better, but it doesn't seem all that different, and I'm not sure my shoulders would fit in this smaller one. The shoulder pads are supposed to reach the end of your shoulders, but not extend past at all, right? When I'm leaning against something, my arms touch before the pads do. The last time I bought a suit (at MW) they said my shoulders are too wide, and consequently, the suit I walked away with looks terrible. I don't think a 6 inch drop will ever work for me.

Should I just return it and try on separates at Macys and Target? I really like the look and feel of this suit.

Thanks again.

Consider a 39 if it's available.

wetnose

Reaction score
Hello gentlemen, I just got this suit somewhere, and I believe it fits pretty well. It has not been altered, but I'm not an expert on this yet, so, could anyone tell me if this suit can be altered to fit correctly? I feel the shoulders fit well enough. I'll have the jacket waist taken in, pants hemmed and waist taken in, and sleeves shortened. Do you think this will do it? The pants seem kind of billowy, but I don't think I could size down on the jacket to get smaller pants. Also, there are no tailors around here, but if these are all the alterations needed, Men's Wearhouse could probably handle it, right? I know the consensus on this place, but I have few options. Thanks in advance for any help.
The jacket is far too big on you. Look at the photo of your back and all of that surplus material around your shoulder blades. Plus, the pants looks like it's about to fall off. No well fitting suit looks like that at all. It looks like you're swimming in it. DON'T snip off the tags and return it immediately. Take a tape measure and wrap it around your chest, just underneath your armpits. What does it say? 38? 36? FYI, I have a 40s in a similiar cut (I measure 41) and it doesn't look like that at all. I spent about $100 getting it altered and it fits wonderfully.

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As far as the jacket goes it is boxy in the waist and needs takin in some. The pants besides needing hemmed are also to big in the butt and need takin in as well. Everything else seems to fit well though.

laphroaig

Reaction score
Here's one more vote for too big. The cut of the trousers is not nice, even the sleeves are way too baggy. Maybe if enough people post we might convince you.

And please don't like the look, nobody else does so far, but if you really really really like it, come back with pictures of you wearing the same in 38. I don't hold out much hope though, that cut doesn't seem to suit your body type. It just looks like a generic large man suit.

bsinge50

Reaction score
Thanks for the input everyone. I didn't mean to say I like how it looked on me, I just like the suit by itself. Also, when I measure around my chest, I get about 38 1/4". I went with 40 because I heard to round up, and my current suit from Mens Wearhouse is a 40, but it fits kind of like this, unfortunately.

I think I will just return it and go try on some suits at Target and Macy's, or Burlington Coat Factory (?). Maybe if I get a particularly well-fitting one, I will try and compare it to the measurements on one of these models, but probably I would just find one that fits better and keep it.

Thanks again.

laphroaig

Reaction score
Also, when I measure around my chest, I get about 38 1/4".
To give you a rough guide, I also measure 38 across the chest, exactly 38. I have found through bitter experience, and trying on many suits that a lot tend to be so oversized that I need a 36 for it to fit OK and even then, the shoulders are still too wide. However I'm not the best example, I have very narrow shoulders so take my guide with a grain of salt. I'm sure there are plenty of 38s lurking that can chime in.

bsinge50

Reaction score
I see. I have a similar problem, I think my shoulders are kind of wide, so the shoulders on a 38 might be too short. I'm not sure though.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
img4507f.jpg
mchammer.jpg

cthip

Reaction score
I think I will just return it and go try on some suits at Target and Macy's, or Burlington Coat Factory (?). Maybe if I get a particularly well-fitting one, I will try and compare it to the measurements on one of these models, but probably I would just find one that fits better and keep it.

why not just get jeff to send you a 38 when you return the 40? he's always done right by the forum members here, and his suits are far nicer than anything you'll find at target, macys, or burlington.

bsinge50

Reaction score
I'm not sure how the 38 will fit. It seems like the pants will still be too big. I might try and find a suit that fits at a dept store, then compare the measurements with the 38 on ebay.

bsinge50

Reaction score
Thanks for the help, everyone. I tried on a lot of suits today, and 38 seems to always fit me. I was just going to buy one that fit, but it seemed silly because they were more expensive than this one, which is a much nicer suit.

Should I try and exchange it? If it doesn't work, I'm out another $20 for return shipping, possibly $35 if he charges me to ship another one.

A Joseph Abboud at JC Penney fit pretty well, and the measurements, I believe are this:

Chest: 40" (Abboud) 42" (M Valentino)

Waist: 38"

Shoulder to shoulder: 18" (Abboud) 18.5" (M Valentino)

Sleeves from top of shoulder to end of cuff: 25" (Abboud) 25" (M Valentino)

Length from top of collar to bottom: 32" (Abboud) 32.5" (M Valentino)

Slacks

Waist: 32" (both)

So the Abboud is a little smaller across the shoulders, and a little shorter. And the chest is 2" smaller, I guess.

Should I just return it and buy one that I know fits better and can try on, or try my luck with ebay again?

Thanks, everyone.

pandamonium

Reaction score
Thanks for the help, everyone. I tried on a lot of suits today, and 38 seems to always fit me. I was just going to buy one that fit, but it seemed silly because they were more expensive than this one, which is a much nicer suit.

Should I try and exchange it? If it doesn't work, I'm out another $20 for return shipping, possibly $35 if he charges me to ship another one.

A Joseph Abboud at JC Penney fit pretty well, and the measurements, I believe are this:

Chest: 40" (Abboud) 42" (M Valentino)

Waist: 38"

Shoulder to shoulder: 18" (Abboud) 18.5" (M Valentino)

Sleeves from top of shoulder to end of cuff: 25" (Abboud) 25" (M Valentino)

Length from top of collar to bottom: 32" (Abboud) 32.5" (M Valentino)

Slacks

Waist: 32" (both)

So the Abboud is a little smaller across the shoulders, and a little shorter. And the chest is 2" smaller, I guess.

Should I just return it and buy one that I know fits better and can try on, or try my luck with ebay again?

Thanks, everyone.

Sometimes paying more to look better is the way to go. I hope that statement doesn't cause to much controversy in this forum.

Get rid of it. If you're out twenty dollars, consider it the cost of learning that the way a suit fit matters a lot. You're getting off easy: it cost me several hundred to learn the same thing.

Aren't there any nicer stores in your area? What's your price range? If you're young and just need a suit that fits well and looks a little fashionable, like others have said, Zara and H&M are the way to go (even Banana Republic). It won't last a life time and you won't feel like you're being cradles by angel feathers, but it will give you a beater suit that looks good.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads