• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can you comment on the fit of this suit?

mattah

Reaction score
lurker[1].gif
This should be fun.

Twisty

Reaction score
If the tags are still on it, and you're not in a rush, I'd return it.

Alterations on that suit would quickly add up, and personally I wouldn't trust MensWarehouse for anything.

Measure yourself, read up on labels within your price range (H&M and Zara are always recc'd), and hunt in the B&S forum. You will do much better in the end, considering all efforts/money.

PS - You may get a lot of flack, but I give you props for posting pictures.

Mr.P

Reaction score
I had ski pants that fit better than those trousers. Also, the jacket makes you look two or three times your weight.

Mr.P

Reaction score
And don't wear white socks. Ever.

bsinge50

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, they are helpful. Is there something wrong with the suit itself, besides poor fit? I can return it, but I sort of like the suit. If I just tried a size down, do you think that would work? I got it from that wizard of aahs fellow on eBay.

I am in grad school in a small, trashy town. The only places to buy suits around here are Men's Wearhouse, and mall places. I think there is a Banana Republic, and lower end department stores--Macy's JC Penney, etc. Should I forget trying to do this exchange stuff and buy one there that I can try on? I honestly think this one will be better quality, but I guess if I have to sacrifice fit, it's not worth it.

Thanks again, everyone.

also, I just got out of the shower, hence the white socks. Just for walking around my house.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bsinge50
Thanks for the replies, they are helpful. Is there something wrong with the suit itself, besides poor fit? I can return it, but I sort of like the suit. If I just tried a size down, do you think that would work? I got it from that wizard of aahs fellow on eBay.

I am in grad school in a small, trashy town. The only places to buy suits around here are Men's Wearhouse, and mall places. I think there is a Banana Republic, and lower end department stores--Macy's JC Penney, etc. Should I forget trying to do this exchange stuff and buy one there that I can try on? I honestly think this one will be better quality, but I guess if I have to sacrifice fit, it's not worth it.

Thanks again, everyone.

also, I just got out of the shower, hence the white socks. Just for walking around my house.

Poor fit is the root cause of looking like a schlep. The details matter less than you think, provided you get the fit right.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Overall just too big and well, just looks like a "bad" suit. If you like the style, try a size smaller, otherwise, fit on a whole range of styles and sizes, learn your measurements, and maybe make a special trip somewhere, or hit the B&S... do post pics again, we can help. But there's so little right here that it's hard to even start critiquing... I suppose it could look good on the right person, just not you. It's not you, its the suit. Find what works for you.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Take it back where it came from and get something which fits better from a salesman who knows what he is doing. Whoever sold you this has no clue.

cthip

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bsinge50

Thanks again, everyone.

there's nothing wrong with that suit from a quality perspective. i have the exact same one as do many other members of the forum here. DEFINITELY size down. the combination of it being huge on you, plus the lighting/flash in the photos, plus the fact that it's a lighter-weight wool make it look terrible. size down, then take it to a tailor that knows what he (or she) is doing--even it means a long drive to get there. that suit will look good when you get it fitting right.

bsinge50

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice, everyone. I can return it, or exchange it for a 38, though I think the shoulders might be too short, and the rest might be equally saggy baggy.

The suit pictured is a 40R, with these measurements:

Chest: 40"
(Measured underarm seams times two. Full chest is 44")
Shoulders: 19" (Across the back seam to seam)
Sleeve from shoulder seam: 25"
Length from top of collar: 32.5"

The 38 is this:

Chest: 38"
(Measured underarm seams times two. Full chest is 42")
Shoulders: 18.5" (Across the back seam to seam)
Sleeve from shoulder seam: 25"
Length from top of collar: 32.5"

This might fit a little better, but it doesn't seem all that different, and I'm not sure my shoulders would fit in this smaller one. The shoulder pads are supposed to reach the end of your shoulders, but not extend past at all, right? When I'm leaning against something, my arms touch before the pads do. The last time I bought a suit (at MW) they said my shoulders are too wide, and consequently, the suit I walked away with looks terrible. I don't think a 6 inch drop will ever work for me.

Should I just return it and try on separates at Macys and Target? I really like the look and feel of this suit.

Thanks again.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
well... why not give us YOUR measurements... then we can suggest something that might fit you...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads