• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Kanye West is a moron

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by APK
Touche. I stand by my original point, though. I'm seeing too many people hit Kanye with racial generalizations. Call him an egomaniac, arrogant, immature. Those are all apt descriptions. But "thug" is certainly not one of them. Comments like that come off as uninformed and hint at a misunderstanding, if not fear of the culture at large Kanye represents.

umm you dont have to be black to be a thug. so it may be misinformed, but it doesnt mean hes being called a thug because hes black.

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by West24
umm you dont have to be black to be a thug. so it may be misinformed, but it doesnt mean hes being called a thug because hes black.
I'm aware, but it's a term that over time seems to have become more synonymous with black people. Maybe it's a regional thing.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by APK
I'm aware, but it's a term that over time seems to have become more synonymous with black people. Maybe it's a regional thing.

West is Canadian. Therefore, ignore everything he says.

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by APK
yeah its more synonymous with blacks because every black person is a thug.
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
West is Canadian. Therefore, ignore everything he says.

go bake me a cupcake or something.

svelten

Reaction score
He made the entertainment industry actually entertaining, for a moment. For that he deserves praise.

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by svelten
He made the entertainment industry actually entertaining, for a moment. For that he deserves praise.

so did your mom. adult entertainment.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by crazyquik
He was drunk. We've all done stupid stuff while drunk, we just weren't all on the VMAs when it happened.
WTF? And this is a defense to the charge of acting like an arrogant, selfish and self-righteous prig? How, precisely?
Originally Posted by choowy
8098285.jpg

LOL.
Originally Posted by APK
The best part about these Kanye episodes is that it gives white people a chance to stick their head out of white suburbia, wag their finger at that no-good scoundrel thug that "Kayne West" is, and return to their perfect white-picket fence, 2.5-kid lives.
Originally Posted by APK
These types of incidents almost always spark conversations online and in day-to-day live among people who have no idea who the guy is, other than he is an entertainer. This usually leads to sweeping generalizations about the guy, which unfortunately, tend to be based on race. I've seen the word "thug" attached to him for this incident. Kanye's a lot of things you wouldn't want to be, but a thug isn't one of them. Those who actually believe that are probably the same people who don't interact with people of other races very often.
Dude. Whoa. There is this reticence in America for calling out people who are ostensibly on your side when they go too far. I don't think any reasonable person would call Kanye's performance anything but selfish, arrogant, incredibly rude falling into obnoxious and very boorish. I wouldn't want to sit at a bar with him. ~ H

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I didn't defend him.

Originally Posted by APK
Touche. I stand by my original point, though. I'm seeing too many people hit Kanye with racial generalizations. Call him an egomaniac, arrogant, immature. Those are all apt descriptions. But "thug" is certainly not one of them. Comments like that come off as uninformed and hint at a misunderstanding, if not fear of the culture at large Kanye represents.

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by APK
This usually leads to sweeping generalizations about the guy, which unfortunately, tend to be based on race.

You mean sweeping generalizations based on race such as the following?

Originally Posted by APK
The best part about these Kanye episodes is that it gives white people a chance to stick their head out of white suburbia, wag their finger at that no-good scoundrel thug that "Kayne West" is, and return to their perfect white-picket fence, 2.5-kid lives.

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
WTF? And this is a defense to the charge of acting like an arrogant, selfish and self-righteous prig? How, precisely? I don't think any reasonable person would call Kanye's performance anything but selfish, arrogant, incredibly rude falling into obnoxious and very boorish. I wouldn't want to sit at a bar with him. ~ H
When people are drunk, they do stupid ****. It's part of the reason that people want to be at parties and bars and enjoying each other's company, because alcohol is a social lubricant. Sometimes people feel too relaxed around each other, and decorum slips. Just ask Ted Kennedy. Sometimes it slips into being selfish, arrogant, or rude. But that's the price you pay for sitting at a bar with someone. If you don't like the chance of being around drunk people, don't go to bars or get offended when they do the things that drunk people do. They talk loud, they are obnoxious, grab other people's asses, try to start fights, they stand up on bars, they sleep with people they normally wouldn't sleep with, etc. It just usually doesn't get caught on tape or live broadcast to the world via MTV. On the list of great ailments of society, or why MTV has ruined civilization, this incident seems relatively trivial.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by crazyquik
When people are drunk, they do stupid ****. It's part of the reason that people want to be at parties and bars and enjoying each other's company, because alcohol is a social lubricant. Sometimes people feel too relaxed around each other, and decorum slips. Just ask Ted Kennedy.

Sometimes it slips into being selfish, arrogant, or rude. But that's the price you pay for sitting at a bar with someone. If you don't like the chance of being around drunk people, don't go to bars or get offended when they do the things that drunk people do. They talk loud, they are obnoxious, grab other people's asses, try to start fights, they stand up on bars, they sleep with people they normally wouldn't sleep with, etc. It just usually doesn't get caught on tape or live broadcast to the world via MTV.

On the list of great ailments of society, or why MTV has ruined civilization, this incident seems relatively trivial.

Except he wasn't at a party or a bar and neither was Taylor Swift.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Honestly, the greatest tragedy I see coming out of all this is an increase Taylor Swift's songs being played in public venues.

It's hard to be sympathetic toward some plastic 'artist' when they just keep coming off the assembly line anyway.

Kas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
kanye-west-south-park-entourage-500x335.jpg

Kanye and his posse are not happy.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^^ Whatever. I'm no fan of country music and I'm not sure if i've ever even heard one of her songs, but there's no reason why you can't be sympathetic unless you're a real douchebag.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads